Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
wcott
Enthusiast
wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo
problems powering down

Any thoughts on this...??

Lately, I'm having problems getting my Kobo (original) to successfully power down. I will depress the power button for 3-5 seconds, and it'll either go directly into Sleep mode - or it seems like nothing's happened, with the book text just staying on the page. In that case, when I try and depress the power button again, the Kobo acts like it's powering up - with the little boxes in the lower right flashing, etc.
Is there a certain techique/trick to getting it to successfully power down? This phenomenon seems to happen sporadically - sometimes I can get it to power down multiple times with no problems...other times, I want to fling against the wall with bad intentions.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
wcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
With Kobo on, hold on/off switch in or slide against spring until light comes on or changes color. Release switch and it should power off. Wait a little while for it to happen. If you operate on/off switch again without waiting device might turn on, off or standby that you told it to do with multiple switch operations. With device on, when you operate switch without holding until light comes on changes color device goes to standby.

With Kobo off hold switch against spring until light comes on then release and wait until I'm reading page is shows. My touch a few seconds later updates I'm reading page to actual I'm reading page.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My thoughts, buy Kobo touch or wifi as price is coming down. My Kobo touch is getting less aggravating with most every update.

Your Kobo original is way out of warranty if switch is bad I would pry it open with guitar pick and spray contact cleaner in switch. Maybe replace battery also at same time. Instructions for doing this are here on a thread. Can't look for it now.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
wcott
Enthusiast
wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo
It seems like it IS powered down, but with the book text from the last page read still on the screen (without the usual book cover and "Powered down" on the top).
It won't page ahead or anything...and if I press the power button again, it behaves as if it's going through the powering-up sequence.
Bottom line - it looks like it's just sitting on a page...but ACTS like it's powered down.
Odd, if you ask me.
I just might be upgrading in a while.
wcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
miz_geek
miz_geek began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
My wifi does the same thing. I think it's done it since the firmware upgrade (was that a year ago already?) It's sporadic, too. If it happens, I usually have to reboot twice and then it finally shuts down.
miz_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert