Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Which eBook Reader on your iOS device?
Stanza 3.2 31 44.29%
Stanza 3.1 5 7.14%
Megareader 7 10.00%
Bluefire Reader 21 30.00%
ReadMe 2 2.86%
Shubooks 6 8.57%
MobiEbook 1 1.43%
Kobo 16 22.86%
Kindle 36 51.43%
Other (post name and link to it below) 18 25.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'm trying to read Red Mars in iBooks and I'm finding the formatting absolutley awful. HUGE margins. I wish Apple would make iBooks more configurable Also finding that because the books is so big, iBooks is struggling to keep up with it. It takes ages just to open to a point where I can read. Mind you, Stanza is having the same problem, but I have reverted to Stanza for that particular book (and I guess for the remaining two of the trilogy).

I'm wondering if its more to do with the OS than with the application... but am disinclined to downgrade today just to find out.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #17
mkelley
Enthusiast
mkelley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Actually, as a result of this thread I downloaded the latest Stanza and it does work with my iPad so I'm back to it.

As to the previous poster -- it may or may not be true that Stanza will never be updated, but I wouldn't count it completely out. 5.1 may not break Stanza -- it might take a complete update to something like a 6.x to do so, and that may not happen for a year or more. Who knows that advances in eReaders there will be by then?

The unfortunate thing is that Stanza has options that NO other reader does -- the ability to adjust indent, distance between paragraphs and line spacing all at the same time... no reader even offers anything like that (that I know of) let alone the superb collections. I played around with my wife's Fire and the highly touted Android app, Aldiko, is a poor substitute.

I don't see eReaders getting better, though -- has anyone seen Kindle offer MORE formatting features, even on Kindles? It appears that most folks are just happy with accepting the defaults (which for me are completely unacceptable).
mkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #18
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I use Bluefire, Kindle and Barnes and Noble on Iphone..Don't read pdfs on it.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:50 AM   #19
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelley View Post
It appears that most folks are just happy with accepting the defaults (which for me are completely unacceptable).
I'm the same. Not too keen on the iPad iBooks app, but the iPhone version is abysmal. No finer example of style over content (or in this case, function) and Apple at it's arrogant, unmoving worst*. Total misuse of the screen.

*I say that as a big Apple fan - not fanboy, there's a big difference.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #20
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
The unfortunate thing is that Stanza has options that NO other reader does -- the ability to adjust indent, distance between paragraphs and line spacing all at the same time... no reader even offers anything like that (that I know of) ...
Try Shubook -- it has all of these options, and they can be set on a per-book or global basis: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/shubook/id385897279?mt=8
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #21
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
What upsets me about the latest -- and apparently last -- update for Stanza is that support for eReader.com's DRM (formerly Palm Reader; the DRM system used by Fictionwise for commercial titles) has been dropped from the program. And the actual eReader app from Barnes & Noble has disappeared from the Canadian iTunes store (and, I presume, the other iTunes stores, too).
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #22
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
What upsets me about the latest -- and apparently last -- update for Stanza is that support for eReader.com's DRM (formerly Palm Reader; the DRM system used by Fictionwise for commercial titles) has been dropped from the program. And the actual eReader app from Barnes & Noble has disappeared from the Canadian iTunes store (and, I presume, the other iTunes stores, too).
I wasn't going to downgrade again, but I did. I'm back to Stanza 3.1 and its not struggling at all with Red Mars.

eReader has been gone from the store for a while. I still have it and I put it back on my phone but it is so old it doesnt know about sideloading, and the books stores are no longer available, it seems. I tried to get it to connect to fictionwise but could not. I suppose the one good thing... if you *can* get it to talk to book stores... is that it works in iOS5.x, which calls into question the coding for all the others. Clearly the ereader code is basic and simple and is not broken with updates. The breakage is at store level.

If you go to the software section on ereader.com itself you'll see that there are no longer any entries for iOS at all.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #23
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
I played around with my wife's Fire and the highly touted Android app, Aldiko, is a poor substitute.
I've gone with FBreader and Moon+ Reader Pro on Android... Mantano gets a good rap, but I didnt like it that much. The free Aldiko used to be pretty much the only ereader on Android so it gained popularity by default. I never liked it that much, but at least you could add your own sources. Thats something you have to pay for, now, it seems. I've never tried the paid version.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 AM   #24
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
other: iBooks
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #25
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
other: iBooks
Agree
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #26
mkelley
Enthusiast
mkelley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Try Shubook -- it has all of these options, and they can be set on a per-book or global basis: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/shubook/id385897279?mt=8
But you can't arrange books in your own collections, which is vital for me (it apparently does allow you to sort by various options, but I don't need sorting, I need collections).

I'll just stick with Stanza -- as I said, it does all I need and works just fine (I might never upgrade my iPad IOS again anyway and I still suspect it will work as long as we don't go to version 6.x).
mkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #27
ghodur
Librarian
ghodur began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone and Kindle Touch
I have iBooks, Kindle, and I actually paid for Eucalyptus. I'm so wrapped up in my new Kindle that I'm not using the phone much right now.
ghodur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Kindle app all the way. Simple and fast and can sync books across pretty much all current devices.

I use it to sync my books across iPhone, iPod, PC, Mac and Kindle. I can pretty much read whereever I am.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #29
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
My choices: Kobo and iBooks.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #30
kas23
kas23 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
We are on the eve of the release of ios 6. I expect Stanza is going to die again this time...for good. So sad, actually.

So, have people come up or discovered any Stanza replacements over the last year? My vote is for Shubooks, but even it isn't Stanza worthy.
kas23 is offline   Reply With Quote