Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The reset button will not have any visual effect, because an image remains on the eInk screen regardless of power. However, it does turn the machine off, and pressing the power switch should restart it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #107
M.H.
Connoisseur
M.H. doesn't litterM.H. doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reset button will not have any visual effect, because an image remains on the eInk screen regardless of power. However, it does turn the machine off, and pressing the power switch should restart it.
When my unit locked up the led was on (green). Although pressing the reset button had no visual effect on the display it did have a visual effect on the led (which went out).
M.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #108
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
Azman, which screen are you frozen on, the one with 'CYBOOK GEN3' or the one with three dots? Mine is frozen on the first, and I have had no luck dealing with it. I'm interested to know if you find a way to deal with it.
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #109
CJBarrow
Book worm
CJBarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Cybook Gen3/Hanlin V5
Just received a replacement Book reader as the on off button broke on mine, The replacement looks like it has the new hardware but not the updated firmware. The firmware is 1.0 build 674.
I say it has the new hardware as it shows as having 512mb of memory and the navigation button is soft touch.
Not sure why they did not have the latest firmware on it but I am updating it now.

So nice new book reader, fantastic :-)
CJBarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:44 AM   #110
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It certainly is "updated" firmware in that it's build 674 rather than the build 538 that the older Gen3's shipped with, and it appears to have all the new features that the newer firmware has, such as event buffering. I suspect that the new firmware was written for the new hardware, and that the differences between 674 and the 685 "update package" are just minor tweaks of various sorts. I've noticed no differences at all in functionality between the two versions.

Did your update work OK?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #111
CJBarrow
Book worm

Quote:

Did your update work OK?
Yes the update worked fine, been using it for about 8 hours now and had one crash :-(
Turned a page and ended up with it trying to reboot, the reboot screen kept flashing on and off until I pushed the reset button.

Been ok since.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:10 AM   #112
CJBarrow
Book worm

Quote:
Did your update work OK?
Well I have to change my position on this now, the Gen3 freezes on me every few hours and I end up having to reset it and it also gets into endless re boot cycles

I did not use the replacement Gen3 before updating the firmware so I am unable to tell if it is the firmware or the book that is the problem, or maybe even my SD card or the books I am reading.

I will be contacting Bookeen to see what they suggest.

Chris.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:14 AM   #113
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've since reflashed mine from 674 to 685. No problems so far. Try running "chkdsk" on both the internal and SD card file systems and see if any error show up.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #114
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Hi Harry!

A friend of mine just got his Cybook and it is with build 674. Do you recommend updating to 685 or staying with 674 ???

Regards,

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #115
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I haven't noticed any change as a result of reflashing, so I suppose that you may just as well stick with 674. I really just did it to make sure that it would work OK (which it did).
Old 05-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #116
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeorges View Post
Hi Harry!

A friend of mine just got his Cybook and it is with build 674. Do you recommend updating to 685 or staying with 674 ???

Regards,

Georges
A problem for the future might be that the next firmware upgrade could assume that it 'builds' on the previous; missing out an upgrade might not be sensible?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #117
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't really think that they could make that assumption - any future firmware update has to cope with all the earlier versions - 4-whatever-it-was, 538, 674, and 685.

I like to keep up to date, though, just as a matter of general principle.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #118
Duodora
Enthusiast
Duodora began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBarrow View Post
Just received a replacement Book reader as the on off button broke on mine, The replacement looks like it has the new hardware but not the updated firmware. The firmware is 1.0 build 674.
My cybook is the same--new hardware but older software.

The one question I have--the new firmware said something about increased battery life or energy efficiency or something. Has anyone noticed this?
Duodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #119
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodora View Post
My cybook is the same--new hardware but older software.

The one question I have--the new firmware said something about increased battery life or energy efficiency or something. Has anyone noticed this?
Not noticed either way. But then, I've found that the first month of use/charging, the battery level indicator becomes more accurate with each cycle. I've now been running my latest Cybook since mid-January.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #120
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
I don't really think that they could make that assumption - any future firmware update has to cope with all the earlier versions - 4-whatever-it-was, 538, 674, and 685.

I like to keep up to date, though, just as a matter of general principle.
OK, Harry, it was just a thought on my part...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote