Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Newauthor
Newauthor began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Epub validation errors

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I'm having some trouble. I created my ebook in open office, made the epub with the epub extension. Looks great in ADE however when I run a validation I come back with a long list of errors. I've downloaded Sigil to look at each file verbatim but I'm a little lost on what to do. Could any one provide assistance.

I see that its telling me text but what exactly am I looking for? Thanks in advance!

/OEBPS/Text/content0002.xhtml(49): 'Chapter4': fragment identifier is not defined in 'OEBPS/Text/content0002.xhtml'

/OEBPS/Text/content0002.xhtml(43): 'Chapter1': fragment identifier is not defined in 'OEBPS/Text/content0002.xhtml'
Newauthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Can you show us line 49 and line 43?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Or better, the lines between 40 and 55.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
Newauthor

Hi yes, thank you for the response. Here's what I have

39 <p> </p>

<p>Table of Contents</p>

<p><a href="#Chapter1"><span class="underline">Disclaimer</span></a>.</p>

<p><a href="#Chapter2"><span class="underline">Foreword</span></a></p>

<p><a href="#Chapter3"><span class="underline">The Journey of an L7</span></a></p>

<p><a href="#Chapter4"><span class="underline">I got caught Slippin’</span></a></p>

52 <p><a href="#Chapter5"><span class="underline">A Lesson Learned</span></a></p>
Old 07-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newauthor View Post
39 <p>*</p>

<p>Table of Contents</p>

<p><a href="#Chapter1"><span class="underline">Disclaimer</span></a>.</p>
There needs to be a file name before the '#', i.e. something like
href="OEBPS/Text/content0003.xhtml#Chapter1"
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Newauthor

Question Question??

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
There needs to be a file name before the '#', i.e. something like
href="OEBPS/Text/content0003.xhtml#Chapter1"
Thanks for the response!

Do I need to include this for every href occurrence in content0002.xhtml and reference it accordingly to the other content00XX.xhtml files??
Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have a good toc.ncx (external ToC), then you don't actually need the file with the links (internal ToC).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Newauthor

Post New error message

Playing around in Sigil I added the link after the href I validated again to see which errors I would get. It's a much shorter list but here's what the new errors are.

ERROR: a-how-to-guide-for-meeting-women-on-craigslist.epub/toc.ncx(56): assertion failed: different playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that refer to same target

ERROR: a-how-to-guide-for-meeting-women-on-craigslist.epub/toc.ncx(74): assertion failed: different playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that refer to same target

ERROR: a-how-to-guide-for-meeting-women-on-craigslist.epub/toc.ncx(66): 'Chapter9': fragment identifier is not defined in 'tmp_da02e54b013a717f705d92d610839337_GpOkmN.ch.fi xed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed_split_001.html'

ERROR: a-how-to-guide-for-meeting-women-on-craigslist.epub/toc.ncx(72): 'Chapter10': fragment identifier is not defined in 'tmp_da02e54b013a717f705d92d610839337_GpOkmN.ch.fi xed.fc.tidied.stylehacked.xfixed_split_001.html'

Last edited by Newauthor; 07-24-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #9
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let Sigil generate the ncx ToC automatically. You need to be very precise if you're editing it by hand.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
Newauthor

Question Okay

Sorry I'm new with this software. How do I do that?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
charleski
Wizard

If you're using the 0.4.0RC1 release of Sigil then you need to click the button at the bottom of the Table of Contents window, it should happen automatically in older versions.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
If you're using the 0.4.0RC1 release of Sigil then you need to click the button at the bottom of the Table of Contents window, it should happen automatically in older versions.
Assuming you used h1, h2, h3, etc. tags for those things you want in the TOC.

Dale
Old 07-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Newauthor

Question

I seem to be lost guys. I tried the toc button at the bottom of the table of contents tab. Resaved, then ran another epub validation to see what errors I got this time. I received the same ones and I'm lost. Please help!

Here's what threepress said:
epub/toc.ncx(74): assertion failed: different playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that refer to same target

So I went into Sigil, looked at the toc.ncx file and copied the section in question.

69 <navPoint id="navPoint-10" playOrder="10">
<navLabel>
<text>The 5 things to avoid!</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="Text/content0011.xhtml" />
74 </navPoint>

Next I went to the content0011.xhtml to see if something was wrong in the coding there. I couldn't find anything other than this:

<h1 class="center" id="heading_id_10"><span class="bold">The 5 things to avoid!</span></h1>

Other than other help that I've read, is it possible the span tags could be creating the issue? Should I remove them or change them to 'strong'?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newauthor View Post
I seem to be lost guys. I tried the toc button at the bottom of the table of contents tab. Resaved, then ran another epub validation to see what errors I got this time. I received the same ones and I'm lost. Please help!

Here's what threepress said:
epub/toc.ncx(74): assertion failed: different playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that refer to same target

So I went into Sigil, looked at the toc.ncx file and copied the section in question.

69 <navPoint id="navPoint-10" playOrder="10">
<navLabel>
<text>The 5 things to avoid!</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="Text/content0011.xhtml" />
74 </navPoint>

Next I went to the content0011.xhtml to see if something was wrong in the coding there. I couldn't find anything other than this:

<h1 class="center" id="heading_id_10"><span class="bold">The 5 things to avoid!</span></h1>

Other than other help that I've read, is it possible the span tags could be creating the issue? Should I remove them or change them to 'strong'?
I doubt the span tag is causing the problem, although it is unnecessary as H1 is always bold automatically.

What the error is saying is that there are two references in the TOC that point to the same place. It is likely that you have a case problem. Sigil is case sensitive. I suspect you have two references with different capitalization that point to the same place.

Dale
Old 07-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
Newauthor

I'll take a look

Thanks Dalede, I'll take a look and see what I come up with.

Tags
epub, errors, validation