Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #76
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMavrick View Post
I even visited Baen books website to look for E books and they seem to have very few in electronic format.

Is there a good source for Sci Fi, especially the newer authors?? If not then I guess I'll be waiting to get the reader if it won't feed my addiction.
The Baen website can be strange to navigate, but there's tons of ebooks available there if you know where to look. The Webscription area on their site is the place to start. List of authors available down the left side of the page, all in multiple ebook formats.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #77
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar Jar Binks View Post
Aren't Grandmas Wonderful ! Thanks DG.
You are welcome.

'sigh. When I think of "grandma's" I think of lttle old grey haired ladies sitting and rocking and doing embroidery. It feels strange being called 'grandma' here........but I take no offense.

Yes...'m a grandma, and 62, but that sure isn't me! I'm too busy finding things to swing my stick at!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #78
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Is there a good source for Sci Fi, especially the newer authors??
In addition to Baen, Fictionwise has plenty of sf/fantasy in their DRM-free MultiFormat listings, which will work/convert for practically any e-reader device. It'll mostly be slightly older modern stuff, but authors like Greg Bear, Lawrence Watt-Evans, Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, Harlan Ellison, Piers Anthony, George Alec Effinger, R.A. MacAvoy, and Chelsea Quinn Yarbro have backlist and sometimes newer titles available.

There's also vintage, but not quite public domain stuff for Marion Zimmer Bradley, Ray Bradbury, Fredric Brown, Poul Anderson, Judith Merril, and other much older authors, though this is probably not your area of interest.

The most likely publishers are e-reads, Wildside Press, ElectricStory, Small Beer Press, Wonder Audiobooks, Mundania Press, and the Marion Zimmer Bradley Literary Trust Works, if you're interested in hers. Though since you mentioned you like hard sf, probably the e-reads catalogue will be of the most interest to you, since they seem to have a higher proportion, while the others skew more soft-to-fantasywards.

The best time to buy is when Fictionwise is having a sale. They seem to do this 30-50% off coupon deal every couple of weeks, and apparently have big sales around Xmas/New Year's.

Also, Tor.com has a selection of original short stories specially commissioned for their site, often downloadable in multiple e-reader friendly formats. You can get stuff by Charles Stross, Gregory Benford, John Scalzi, Terry Bisson, et al.

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #79
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Yes...'m a grandma, and 62, but that sure isn't me! I'm too busy finding things to swing my stick at!
A bit older (63) but same attitude. Some of us old folks are young for our age....
Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #80
yankey
yankey began at the beginning.

Device: entourage Pocket Edge
Thumbs up Hello from a newbie!

Hello from a newbie ~~~ To this site and the ereader! Finding my way around and reading everything that's here, it will take a few days. My there is a wonderful assortment of information here.

As an avant reader of "books" ~~ the ereader is new to me. At this time I'm using the Entourage Pocket Edge but not sure that I'll keep it. A bit bulky for me.

You have a lot going on here and a great selection of ebooks. Today I downloaded Zane Grey - Ohio River Valley Trilogy from this site.

Looking forward to meeting you. There certainly seems to be many helpful people here!

Hope you all have a Happy Holiday!
(they"re playing Christmas songs in the stores here in Indiana already!)

yankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #81
Wait_For_It
Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire
Wow, this is great! Thanks for all the links.
Wait_For_It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #82
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome to MobileRead, Waitforit and yankee.

Take a moment and use the "introduce yourself" link below to start your own threads in the "introduce myself" thread.

Come join us!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #83
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
One of the easiest ways to check quickly for new eBooks released is to use the Inkmesh.com site. In the middle of the page is a set of links under Promotional Free Ebooks, under which is a link for All Free Ebooks. These pages are updated several times a day with free promotions and releases. You can narrow the choice down to your preferred format. Also, of course, you can drop down the the genre links below that and search to your heart's content. I find this a good page for combined links for new releases.

See the huge link list that @desertgrandma sends all the new members for lots of stuff, but for new releases, Inkmesh is the quickest and easiest, and I check it daily.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #84
AHMavrick
Enthusiast
AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Thanks much to those that posted the sites for Sci Fi. I've been looking them over and it looks like there is more than I first saw. I hope that there will be more in the very near future. In the mean time I am looking at possibly getting a jet book lite as the most flexible and cost effective option for reading e books. It may be a Christmas present to myself and the wife with a pair of them.
AHMavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #85
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Forgot to mention that Baen has a large library of free books available on their site. Good place to start and try out a number of exceptional authors.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #86
AHMavrick
Enthusiast
AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Last edited by AHMavrick; 11-20-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #87
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
I have a dumb question here. I was looking at the etaco Jetbook lite. New egg has it for $90. The question I have is two actually. How do you turn the page and does the reader remember what page you stopped at?
You'll probably get a better answer if you ask over at the Ectaco jetBook forum here on MR.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #88
LinValiant
LinValiant began at the beginning.

Location: We currently live in MS, but I am hoping to get a job in the Shreveport/Bossier City, LA area.
Device: Kindle 3G/Wi-Fi
CMBS: I went to the website you had posted:
http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot.com/

I tried to sign in with my gmail.com account and this is the message I received:

"This blog is open to invited readers only"

How do I get invited to the blog?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Lin
LinValiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #89
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinValiant View Post
CMBS: I went to the website you had posted:
http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot.com/

I tried to sign in with my gmail.com account and this is the message I received:

"This blog is open to invited readers only"

How do I get invited to the blog?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Lin
Lin, I"m not sure what this member was talking about, but if you check our wiki here

and click on "free ebooks" you will find many sources to choose from.

You don't need to sign into anyones "blog" to find them.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #90
AHMavrick
Enthusiast

Last edited by AHMavrick; 11-20-2010 at 04:00 PM.