Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
John-Galt
John-Galt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook2
NookColor CPU & RAM specs

I have a NookColor on preorder, and would like to know; which CPU at what clock speed does this device use?

Also, how much RAM is used? The specs say "8 Megabytes of memory", but that actually refers to EEPROM storage, not RAM.

Thanks,
John Galt
John-Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Inquiring minds want to know. I'm waiting for those specs also.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I called my local store and spoke with the nook guy there. basically was told to wait until they ship and then look for teardown videos on the internet.

they are taking no commitment reservations and guaranteeing a Nov 19 in store pick up.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I read on a tech review that they are using Texas Instruments OMAP soc A9 or equivalent.

I have no idea what that means but I'm fairly certain that's what it said.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I read on a tech review that they are using Texas Instruments OMAP soc A9 or equivalent.

I have no idea what that means but I'm fairly certain that's what it said.
If that is true then that is very very VERY impressive.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20899...s_program.html
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
If that is true then that is very very VERY impressive.
Since B&N have been working on this for a while, I don't think an OMAP4 (Cortex-A9) processor is likely (Wiki: OMAP). I don't see how the reporter could have mis-heard OMAP, so I would expect an OMAP3 (Cortex-A8) such as the 3430 already used in year-old high-end smartphones. There are now faster OMAP3's than the 3430. All the Archos Android tablets, for example, are using OMAP3 processors, with the recent ones using 36xx versions.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Since B&N have been working on this for a while, I don't think an OMAP4 (Cortex-A9) processor is likely (Wiki: OMAP). I don't see how the reporter could have mis-heard OMAP, so I would expect an OMAP3 (Cortex-A8) such as the 3430 already used in year-old high-end smartphones. There are now faster OMAP3's than the 3430. All the Archos Android tablets, for example, are using OMAP3 processors, with the recent ones using 36xx versions.
That would sound more relative to this stage in the game.
I still would be very happy with the OMAP 3430 my Droid X runs an OMAP 3630 and it's insanely fast.

yeah the OMAP A9 would be like HOLY S##T that's powerful, I think they are going to use them in some upcoming dual core processor smart phones next year.

I just wished they would publish what's under the hood.
I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Last edited by boswd; 10-28-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #8
John-Galt
John-Galt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook2
Not sure where they got the info, but over at Technologizer, they have this to say: "Underneath its full-color covers, the Nookcolor is outfitted with an OMAP system-on-a-chip (SoC) processor from Texas Instuments, based on an ARM Cortex A9 processor".

http://technologizer.com/2010/10/26/nookcolor/
John-Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:16 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Galt View Post
Not sure where they got the info, but over at Technologizer, they have this to say: "Underneath its full-color covers, the Nookcolor is outfitted with an OMAP system-on-a-chip (SoC) processor from Texas Instuments, based on an ARM Cortex A9 processor".

http://technologizer.com/2010/10/26/nookcolor/
It's the same article as the one in PC World.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
Texas Instruments says:
Quote:
NOOKcolor runs on TI’s OMAP3621 (ARM Cortex™-A8 processor-based) applications processor—a member of the OMAP™ 3 processor family
I suspect they'd know.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Nice find.
Ok this is solid. Not as much as the previous rumor but that would have been a total shock.

But this is very solid.

So hardware and software all seem to be in line. Just have to get a hands on.

very excited

Last edited by boswd; 10-28-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Linux Devices have their usual detailed summary of the OMAP3621, see E-reader platform taps 45nm Cortex SoC.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
speedygonz
speedygonz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Seems that the OMAP3621 comes with Bluetooth on the chip. Haven't seen any mention of the NOOKcolor having such a feature though. This would open more opportunities for the platform, e.g. bluetooth audio and remote control, bluetooth GPS connectivity for location aware apps, bluetooth file transfer for book lending, etc.

Also the quantity of RAM available on the device remains unknown.

Last edited by speedygonz; 10-28-2010 at 11:32 PM.
speedygonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Believe me when I say that what you see online is what they're telling us stores, sadly. In fact, I read the announcement and texted people AT WORK at the same time our digital lead was on a call about it. They very rarely give us any information ahead of time on anything that might be interesting. Us tech nerds at work are expecting 512MB of RAM at least. The CPU has been mentioned as being at about 800MHz.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/28/n...d-ti-omap3621/
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote