Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Well, OP isn't going to find the perfect device. Mobipocket is pretty much dead outside of Kindles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Being able to read both Mobi and ePub on the same device is no issue - any smartphone or tablet can do that. But personally I think that eInk readers are vastly superior reading devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Being able to read both Mobi and ePub on the same device is no issue - any smartphone or tablet can do that. But personally I think that eInk readers are vastly superior reading devices.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Kobo Touch will read both .epub and .mobi formats.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrated View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Kobo Touch will read both .epub and .mobi formats.
From what I have read, the Mobi support is quite poor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibrated View Post
Theoretically, but its Mobi support is, by all accounts, very poor indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #21
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
If you want a maximum of options to customize the way you read (fonts, text sizes etc.) and folder management and support of epub and mobi as bare formats (epub with adobe drm) and pdf support of sorts then have a look at the product range that pocketbook has to offer. But: The small "360 plus" with a 5'' eInk Screen (vizplex, no pearl I'm afraid) is priced at 133,- USD on their website ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman View Post
Pocketbook supports plethora of formats, all mentioned included, plus quite rare like djvu. Can do folder organization and such. Flash cards can be used to store different collections. Don't know exact pricing options, but normally more expensive than Kindle.
http://www.pocketbook-int.com/welcome-pocketbook
Agree with both posts. Except for the price range a Pocketbook reader will fit all of your requirements perfectly. Maybe you will find them worth paying a little bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I put Coolreader on my Sony T1 and it won't even open mobi. ... The folder organization capability in Coolreader is excellent.
You're right. Coolreader can't read mobi files. But it's a great reader for ePub files.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #22
SpeakOfTheDevil
SpeakOfTheDevil began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wow, many responses already. Thank you all for the help so far.

I thought about Sony but I didn't know it does collections like Kindle too. I don't think Sony will be good for me either.

The rooted Nook Touch intrigues me. I have no problem doing that sort of technical thing as long there are tutorials for dummies. CoolReader looks impressive from what y'all are telling me, but it doesn't support mobi which is a bummer.

PocketBook seems to be the best fit for me, yet its official site says most of its product are "out of sale." This is also true as it is on ebay and amazon. What's up with that? Does anyone know when more will be out? For those who owns PocketBook, where did you buy it?
SpeakOfTheDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #23
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakOfTheDevil View Post

I thought about Sony but I didn't know it does collections like Kindle too. I don't think Sony will be good for me either.

The rooted Nook Touch intrigues me. I have no problem doing that sort of technical thing as long there are tutorials for dummies. CoolReader looks impressive from what y'all are telling me, but it doesn't support mobi which is a bummer.

PocketBook seems to be the best fit for me, yet its official site says most of its product are "out of sale." This is also true as it is on ebay and amazon. What's up with that? Does anyone know when more will be out? For those who owns PocketBook, where did you buy it?
I specifically recommended a nook touch with Coolreader as you can see all the negative comment's are from people that have not used such a device I would take them with a pinch of salt. Coolreader is an opensource project that is updating almost daily. Mobi support was improved a lot over the last 6 months or so.
If you have an android device you can try coolreader yourself if you don't you can try http://bluestacks.com/ beta it will install an android emulator and allow you to install and use android apps on a windows pc.
Or you can get the latest version of windows, mac or linux version of coolreader to check it out from here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...r3/cr3-3.0.56/
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #24
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I would recommend my Ectaco jetBook Lite, but I think the price has gone up rather than down. Perhaps a google search would find one close to your price range.

The PocketBook line is highly regarded here.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #25
dustman
dustman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakOfTheDevil View Post

I saw smallest of three current versions for 133$ on US website.
dustman is offline   Reply With Quote