Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Okay, but remember that people come to this forum BECAUSE they have problems.
Sure but don't forget, an inordinate amount seem to be touch related.
Quote:
For many people they were, for the meantime you can use swipes, just like the T1.
I tried swipes (again) last night. It didn't seem more reliable then tapping. Some were ignored, and one turned the page in the wrong direction!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I've only tried the Kobo Touch by playing with the display models instore, it was only second time round that I realised you could turn pages both ways by swiping in different directions with your thumb. A real plus point for me as it means you can easily use it one-handed. I didn't notice any problems with double page turns or no page turns..... But, from reading the experiences of some Kobo owners, it's an issue I'd be concerned about appearing in everyday use.

Yes people post when they have problems rather when they have none, but apart from when the PRS-T1 was first released, you don't see anything like the same amount of people posting on either the Kindle or Sony forums about touch-screen issues.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Yes people post when they have problems rather when they have none, but apart from when the PRS-T1 was first released, you don't see anything like the same amount of people posting on either the Kindle or Sony forums about touch-screen issues.
I've had a Kindle Touch since November; the touch screen has been totally problem-free for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's exactly my point HarryT. Few people have posted problems using the touch screen on the Kindle, so I'd be pretty confident about buying one. Whereas I couldn't say the same about the Kobo Touch (same with the Kindle NT due to the number of people commenting on the quality of the screen).
Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
That's exactly my point HarryT. Few people have posted problems using the touch screen on the Kindle,
dont often look in the kindle area here so not sure what problems are there on this site

doing a google search brings up many results about screen problems, amazons own support sites, some here, youtube on how to fix screen issues

the kindle touch might be better than the kobo touch, not used either enough to decide, but if you rely on internet sites to make a decision, both have serious problems
or perhaps the reality is that both function without issues for the majority of customers, more issues are shown because people dont post when things are working
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go for the T1. And you can keep your ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Fair enough point paul, to an extent there will always be people who have issues with any bit of technology, and none of them are perfect. However, if I do use some feedback from the internet, I think it makes more sense to utilise a forum like this where people are a bit more clued up on their readers than to rely on google searches from Youtube and Amazon. Lets face it, do a search on anything online and it will return any number of issues & complaints!

I'm interested in all three of the major touch screen ereaders (PRS-T1, Kobo Touch and Kindle Touch), so keep an eye on the relevant sections of this site. From what I've read, people have had issues with all three, but more so with the Kobo.

Edited to add: though to be fair, similar to the PRS-T1 (but it was fixed a lot, lot quicker), it seems far less of an issue following the latest firmware.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 04-27-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Forgot firmware point
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #23
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The Touch screens seem to vary, Taming recently got her Kobo replaced (Something to do with the SD card port) and her new one doesn't turn pages as reliably as her old one.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
gari189
Connoisseur
gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Elonex 621eb, PRS-T1, HP Touchpad
There are pros and cons to every ereader. The kobo is incredibly comfortable to hold and I like being able to tap to change page but built-in dictionary is awful and for some reason the kobo doesn't like downloading via Dropbox.....T1 has great dictionary support, downloads directly from Dropbox, overdrive feature and wikipedia lookup are excellent but not sure its worth the extra £50
gari189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gari189 View Post
There are pros and cons to every ereader. The kobo is incredibly comfortable to hold and I like being able to tap to change page but built-in dictionary is awful and for some reason the kobo doesn't like downloading via Dropbox.....T1 has great dictionary support, downloads directly from Dropbox, overdrive feature and wikipedia lookup are excellent but not sure its worth the extra £50
Yes, it really is worth it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #26
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gari189 View Post
The newest update seems to have broken browser downloads.

What words are you looking up in the dictionary? I see people complaining about it but I don't see anything wrong with it.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo touch, prs 505