Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
JaymeKnits
JaymeKnits began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
Should I wait? Kindle II, Sony 700?

I'm looking at deciding between the Sony PRS505 and the Kindle (I think I would get the Kindle). But I just saw that there are new ones coming out in the next few months. Are they supposed to be that much better? If I get the Kindle now will I be missing out on any great features in the newer models?

I'd be mostly reading books, my own documents (I can change them into almost any format) and simple tables or graphics of tables for knitting pattern charts.
JaymeKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymeKnits View Post
I'm looking at deciding between the Sony PRS505 and the Kindle (I think I would get the Kindle). But I just saw that there are new ones coming out in the next few months. Are they supposed to be that much better? If I get the Kindle now will I be missing out on any great features in the newer models?

I'd be mostly reading books, my own documents (I can change them into almost any format) and simple tables or graphics of tables for knitting pattern charts.
No one know when the next Kindle will be out. There are rumors, and that's all they are.

No one knows what any 'new' features of the next kindle will be.

I've not tried any graphics charts on the Kindle......anyone else here have?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
We now know that there won't be a Kindle2 this year, see No New Kindle Til 2009, but there are likely to be several new Kindle models released (early?) next year. I expect the Kindle2 to be a major improvement, but we don't know when it will arrive and the existing Kindle is good enough from many purposes.

The only issue with the Kindle might be your "tables and graphics". One way to tell would be to convert them to MOBI and look at them with Windows MobiPocket Reader. MOBI table support isn't good, but graphics may be ok. If you are building the images yourself use about 525x640, see Kindle Automatically Doubles Image Sizes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Normally, I don't wait for some new one if it take over 6 months to come... I just buy and enjoy it...
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
What we do know is that the Sony PRS700 is being released in 10 days!
I would definitely wait until the first users have their hands on!
I read the kindle is expected to release in Q2 2009, but don't know exactly where I read that; either way after january 2009 is too long to wait for for most people anyways..
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #6
JaymeKnits
JaymeKnits began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
I've decided to wait a bit longer. I'll Get it for myself for my Birthday in July instead of Christmas I've waited this long, a bit longer won't be too bad.
JaymeKnits is offline   Reply With Quote