Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Can eink devices run Windows Mobile?

This probably isn't the right place for this post, but can an eink device run Windows Mobile so that we could use programs like ereader, mobipocket, etc? Because I just don't see Sony making a lot of money on the books but rather making money on the reader (like the Apple Ipod business model). So if the books are out there already, why not focus on making the best reader possible and allowing readers of differing formats.

I think that a unit with a calendar, address book and reader would be really successful, particularly with the mom set who is used to carrying around a purse, a calendar and an address book.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Actually the e-ink display demonstrates the innovative enabling power inherent in OSS.

How do you modify the code for Windows Mobile to force screen refreshes to the e-ink panel when all that code is proprietary and controlled by Microsoft?

You convince Microsoft you'll sell 10 million of them, give them a year, then give them another year and then ...
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2006, 12:32 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It uses Linux, theoretically, you should be able to hack it to do just about anything.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:59 AM   #4
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Actually the e-ink display demonstrates the innovative enabling power inherent in OSS.

How do you modify the code for Windows Mobile to force screen refreshes to the e-ink panel when all that code is proprietary and controlled by Microsoft?

You convince Microsoft you'll sell 10 million of them, give them a year, then give them another year and then ...
Actually, its not as hard as that from a technical perspective; Windows CE Platform Builder makes it pretty easy to build customized OS images with different drivers. Much of the customization work gets done by the OEMs, not by MSFT. But you're generally right about MSFT not being interested unless the market is demonstrably large. It's the kind of thing that might have happened in the past because BillG thought it was 'cool', but now his influence is waning and the VPs have their separate P&Ls tied to their bonuses its much less likely. It has to be strategic or profitable; 'cool' no longer suffices.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
That is what I've been saying from the beginning. E-ink is a screen display. Every company dealing with it is only trying to sell us a new computer. Why not use an e-ink screen on a working solid PDA , instead of reinventing the wheel ?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
Melf
Enthusiast
Melf began at the beginning.

Device: TTX, SmartQ7
I think linux is on of the bigest advantages of curent readers, together with superb display and batery life. And its free as in bear (ads no license costs)....and free as in speech (which is better for the user, right, iRex ? ). Curent problems (lack of content, prize) ar more because the e-ink readers are not mainstream yet, not the OSS software. Simple more readers -> bigger series -> cheap readers -> more content
Windows on my (future e-ink device ? NO THANKS
Melf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm just as happy keeping MacroHard away from my Reader, personnaly.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
That is what I've been saying from the beginning. E-ink is a screen display. Every company dealing with it is only trying to sell us a new computer. Why not use an e-ink screen on a working solid PDA , instead of reinventing the wheel ?
E-ink is a niche technology. It has a very specific use - for reading large blocks of text at one time. You can't do animations or good UI using it, because of the slow refresh speed. And it's not available in color yet. So that severely limits the applications it can be used for. eReaders turns out to be a perfect use, but I think that a PDA with E-ink would be a really frustrating device to use. I know I sometimes get frustrated just navigating my booklist - Luckily I only have to do that every once in a while. I don't think I could stand to do PDA-type stuff on an E-ink screen.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I'm just as happy keeping MacroHard away from my Reader, personnaly.
Same here I don't need a BSOD (Black screen of death) on my iLiad. It has enough other problems , so I don't need to deal with that one additionally.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:45 AM   #10
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
I'll just recycle my thoughts from the other thread here ...

Actually I really don't see why PIM apps cannot become part of this? 8)
PIM apps normally display pretty static data via static pages/dialogs/windows. eInk would make it a joy to use PIM apps, since battery life is wonderful! 8)

Just don't display a running clock and everything should be fine. 8)

Some means to do simple notes taking would be excellent, making the PIM app complete. ok ok, this becomes more like a PDA ... but hey, while we are at it ... :P

Besides, I think PIM + eReader is a better match than PIM + PMP! Current PDAs is more PIM + PMP which to me is not a very good match of features.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:57 AM   #11
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
I see nothing to speak against that.
  1. Everything is already out there (look at the Zaurus apps)
  2. If you lug around the device already why don't make it multipurporse?
  3. The hardware can handle it for sure
Only one problem left, I don't know if you can get existing GPE/OPIE apps running on either one of the current available devices. But even if it is a problem that the iLiad runs a full X environment and the Sony "i-dont-know-what" as GUI, it should not be to hard to get a existing app ported or to find one that doesn't even need to be ported.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #12
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I've just been doing some informal polling with readers in my area (all of whom are women except for DH) and they were taken aback at the cost. I then asked if it had a calendar and address book whether it would be worthwhile and they all immediately said that they would buy it. Hence my question. Like Bk said, if you have to lug it around why not eliminate some other things we have to lug around.

More features gives the Reader value. At this point, everyone I have asked said they like it but it is too expensive to do one thing. Despite my arguments that ereaders actually save money, I am not making much headway.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote