Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #16
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
I just wondered if there was a standard length for ebooks. Do they need to be over a certain word-count?

I only ask because I have a story which I started back in 1998. I'm currently updating it but it only stands at 25,000 words and is unlikely to get much bigger.

I know with paper publishing, there are strict rules on the length of the work. But perhaps this does not apply with electronic publishing.
It's the beauty of electronic publishing is that word count (or page count) doesn't really matter. Which means non-traditional length works aren't so much of a problem these days. I think 25,000 words will do very as an ebook.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:53 AM   #17
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Just an aside: I know it wasn't everyone's cup o' joe, but I liked the movie version of F Scott Fitzgerald's *The Curious Case of Bejamin Button*. I'd never read the original, so I got hold of a copy for my reader earlier this month and gave it a whirl. I didn't realise that screenplay source was such a very short story. And I was both amazed and impressed by the imaginative way Fitzgerald's bare-bones idea and cardboard characters were fleshed out for the film. Sometimes, a piece does deserve more than its author has given it (but very, very rarely). N

PS: The original short is free online here: http://www.readbookonline.net/read/690/10628/
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 03:12 AM   #18
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Just an aside: I know it wasn't everyone's cup o' joe, but I liked the movie version of F Scott Fitzgerald's *The Curious Case of Bejamin Button*. I'd never read the original, so I got hold of a copy for my reader earlier this month and gave it a whirl. I didn't realise that screenplay source was such a very short story. And I was both amazed and impressed by the imaginative way Fitzgerald's bare-bones idea and cardboard characters were fleshed out for the film. Sometimes, a piece does deserve more than its author has given it (but very, very rarely). N

PS: The original short is free online here: http://www.readbookonline.net/read/690/10628/
Thanks for the link I quite enjoyed the film. I say quite because some of it seemed a bit slow and laborious to me but the ending was beautiful - really emotional.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #19
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You must admit, though, Poshm, that the movie was bursting with strong characters -- major and minor players in the tale. I think you'll be surprised to find none of this sound and imaginative work in the original. I felt it read like a rejected synopsis. N
Old 11-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #20
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I thought the characters were great, in fact that was probably responsible for me continuing to watch. It was the story in parts which fell short for me. But I'm glad I did watch it all through as the concept was magic.

From what you say, neilmarr, they did a great job with the film version then.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #21
neilmarr
neilmarr

I'd love to read the book of the film, Poshm. And I think that's the first time I've ever said that. Love it or drag with it, the movie produced satisfying story lines, intriguing sub-plots and tremendously huge characters. IT left you wondering about the paradox. The source material did nothing but pitch an idea. Neil

PS: In a week or two, I'm bringing out a novel that works the other way around -- with the movie taking a mere character role. Oddly enough, the book is called *The Movie* (yep, it surprised me, too, that this had never been used as a novel title). If you want to take a look, just drop me a line and I'll send a free ebook copy on release. N