Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Audio Player/ Sony Reader

I tried out the audio player on my reader today and could not figure out how to turn it off. I pressed the large button on the right and I think it paused it. When it is in the pause state is it draining the power? If so, what is the correct procedure to turn off the player? When in the paused state if you actually turn put the player in standby mode is the audio track draining power?
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You're not missing anything: the audio player on the Reader doesn't have a stop, just a pause. It does not seem to use power when it's paused, however, so no harm done, I suppose.

What you have to watch out for is leaving it playing without realizing it -- that'll drain the battery flat in about 10 hours.

I removed all audio files from mine, and use an MP3 player to listen to them -- better sound, better battery life and it's not so big that it's any sort of burden to carry around.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
the battery life on these devices is really minimal. then you can see how much the e-ink screen preserves battery.

I'd love to see these devices with a second battery compartement, especially when having touchscreen or LEDs..
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:58 AM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
It will be very interesting to see how the front-light will change battery life on the new 700. Even if it lowers it so I only have to charge the device every 2 weeks instead of the every 3.5 weeks I seem to need now, I'll still be very happy!

If it lowers the battery life so that I'll need to recharge every other day, I'll be unhappy.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
So far that 'd depend on how much you use the leds.
If you'd use them always, I fear you won't even make it through the day with the battery (meaning less than 8 hours).
However I read somewhere the leds have 3 powersettings (off, moderate, full), and if you don't turn them on at all, they won't lose battery at all.
The touchscreen will most likely reduce average battery life by 1/3th (meaning in the likes of a weekly charge).
Using the Leds might lead you to recharge every few days (just like a normal cellphone).
Things could change if Sony upgraded the internal battery (which I hope they did).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert