Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #181
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I just want to know what book that is! (The one on the Nook)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Here are some photos to go with my previous comments.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #182
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I just want to know what book that is! (The one on the Nook)
10th Anniversary by James Patterson. Part of the Women's Murder Club series. Not the greatest writing but a fun, guilty pleasure of mine to read. It was also made into a TV series starring Angie Harmon, but it only lasted one season. The books are set in San Francisco and follow 4 women who are good friends and work together to solve murder mysteries (a police detective, medical examiner, crime reporter and district attorney).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #183
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
10th Anniversary by James Patterson. Part of the Women's Murder Club series. Not the greatest writing but a fun, guilty pleasure of mine to read. It was also made into a TV series starring Angie Harmon, but it only lasted one season. The books are set in San Francisco and follow 4 women who are good friends and work together to solve murder mysteries (a police detective, medical examiner, crime reporter and district attorney).
Thanks...the pages looked interesting, but definitely not my thing.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #184
blackcat54
blackcat54 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook GlowLight
"My conclusion is that the new Nook is definitely improved but still not as good as the new Kindle. The text is not washed out to me as somebody commented from other photos. It's pretty similar to the Kindle. However, I think the Kindle does a better job at minimizing ghosting, and you can set refresh to every page (the Nook does not have any optional settings)."

My evaluation of the new Kindle vs Nook is that the kindle is plagued with severe ghosting 3-4 pages after a screen refresh. In stark contrast to the Kindle, the Nook had no ghosting no matter how many pages I flipped, all without any visible screen refreshes. Quite a disappointing performance for the Kindle after all the promotional hoopla about the new improved Kindle screen technology.

Last edited by blackcat54; 11-03-2013 at 12:06 AM.
blackcat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #185
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Asawi, here are some photos to go with my previous comments.
Thank you SO much!!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one appreciating your "real life pictures"! They tell so much more than the publicity pictures!!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #186
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat54 View Post
My evaluation of the new Kindle vs Nook is that the kindle is plagued with severe ghosting 3-4 pages after a screen refresh. In stark contrast to the Kindle, the Nook had no ghosting no matter how many pages I flipped, all without any visible screen refreshes. Quote a disappointing performance for the Kindle after all the promotional hoopla about the new improved Kindle screen technology.
I think that they are both generally good. It could be small variations between each unit of a particular brand that make people perceive them differently. Or maybe it matters what fonts you favor. My experience is that the KPW2 is the first ereader that I have not turned on "refresh every page" yet. I wish I had that setting on the Nook.

It also appears that the new Nook Glowlight does not refresh images the same. On the old Glowlight an image page would refresh but not the page after it. On the new Glowlight neither page refreshes. On the new Glowlight the text on the next page will be lighter where it overlaps the image from the previous page. For example I can see a square of less bold text. Even though the old one didn't refresh the next page the text looks more even. However, overall, I think the new one looks much better with the exception of this image issue.

I thought of another software feature it would be nice for the Nook to have. Other ereaders allow you to zoom in on images.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #187
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Asawi, here are some photos to go with my previous comments. The old Nook in the photos is the Simple Touch with no Glowlight. I took them at two different font sizes, one smaller and one larger, since I don't know what you prefer. I have the same book on the screen viewed with the same font, line spacing and margins. I had an interesting observation when comparing them side by side. You can see that the new Glowlight has more space between lines and also more space at top and bottom. Therefore, the paragraph at the bottom of the page on the old Nook starts at the top of the page on the new Nook.
Does the new Nook have problems with pinholes like the PW2s have been having, or is that just dust on your screen?

ETA: They've really improved the light! I remember how terrible the NSTWGL seemed once I switched to the PW1. The new one looks so much better.

Last edited by 7hir7een; 11-02-2013 at 08:53 PM.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #188
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can set the refresh on the Kindle to avoid ghosting
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #189
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
I really have not been happy with my e-ink Nooks since the N1. I had to give this new Glowlight a try and I love it. It won't replace my Aura HD as my primary reader but my PW has been benched for now and is third in my lineup (sorry, watching football as I type). I did like the buttons on the NSTWGL but losing them is no big deal to me. I see what B&N is doing with this new reader. They make a reader like the PW (no page turn buttons and no sd card slot) but sell it cheaper (no ads), double the storage and make it lighter.

I was not a fan of the look until I saw this in person and handled the device. It is comfortable to hold and a big step up from the NSTWGL. I don't know if it will draw new readers to the B&N shop, but I can see many upgrading to this Nook. B&N has made a few missteps and at first glance this may seem to be just one more. I think however that this is a device one must see in person to appreciate.

I am just glad B&N is still producing e-ink devices. Competition is great for us book lovers. More devices, more choices, and cheaper prices equals a win for all of us. There is no perfect ereader, especially one that meets every readers wants. This new Nook may not be perfect but it is a new ereader and that is always welcome.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #190
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Does the new Nook have problems with pinholes like the PW2s have been having, or is that just dust on your screen?
ETA: They've really improved the light! I remember how terrible the NSTWGL seemed once I switched to the PW1. The new one looks so much better.
I returned two Paperwhites with pinholes. My Nook does not have any.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #191
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Ummm....

I went to BN to look at it, thinking that it may look better in real life, and also because I was simply curious about it. There was an employee there, who asked me if he could help me, but I appreciated that he was not hovering over me as they used to in the past in that store.

To me, it's an unattractive device. As I suspected, when the light is not on, the grey eink background looks dirty/unattractive next to the white bezel. It's not as bad with the light turned on.

What I found particularly unattractive was the light grey bumper around the white bezel. What's its point? The store had two demo units, and there were little gaps between the bumper and the bezel on both of them, which made them look cheaply made. One of the demos was next to the NST and the NST looked much better to me: better made and more attractive overall.

I found the light a bit on the blue side, and the lighting did not seem as uniform as on the Kindle PW2, but I did not see any green/pink color blobs, nor a single pinhole or dust speck beneath the screen on any of the two units. I checked very well, because of the current screen QC issues the PWs and Auras have. Also, the contrast was worse than that of even my first Kindle PW and much worse than that of my PW2. The text looked less sharp.

In short: To me, the new GlowLight is less attractive than any of the current readers I have seen. In the past, I always felt that the page turn buttons and SD card slot were an advantage over the competition like the Kindle. Not enough of an advantage to ever make ME want to switch, but enough to keep BN afloat. I want them to do well, as competition is always good. I don't think this device will do it for them. I still find the chubby, black NST endearing, but at the $79 they are still selling it, not compelling enough for new customers, I fear.

Last edited by xendula; 11-03-2013 at 07:44 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #192
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The grey bumper is the feature I like least. It is meant to be removable, and you can make the gaps go away by repositioning it. It is soft to the touch when you hold the Nook. However, it really attracts cat hair which is very annoying!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #193
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
The grey bumper is the feature I like least. It is meant to be removable, and you can make the gaps go away by repositioning it. It is soft to the touch when you hold the Nook. However, it really attracts cat hair which is very annoying!
Does the device look decent without the bumper, or can you tell so ethung is missing? They would be doing themselves a favor if they took it off their demo devices.
Maybe they are going to sell different colored bumpers. BN is always really good about accessorizing the Nooks!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #194
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I was wondering about colored bumpers too. I haven't removed mine, but somebody else did and said it is completely sealed and there are slots that it fits into.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #195
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Ummm....

I went to BN to look at it, thinking that it may look better in real life, and also because I was simply curious about it. There was an employee there, who asked me if he could help me, but I appreciated that he was not hovering over me as they used to in the past in that store.

To me, it's an unattractive device. As I suspected, when the light is not on, the grey eink background looks dirty/unattractive next to the white bezel. It's not as bad with the light turned on.

What I found particularly unattractive was the light grey bumper around the white bezel. What's its point? The store had two demo units, and there were little gaps between the bumper and the bezel on both of them, which made them look cheaply made. One of the demos was next to the NST and the NST looked much better to me: better made and more attractive overall.

I found the light a bit on the blue side, and the lighting did not seem as uniform as on the Kindle PW2, but I did not see any green/pink color blobs, nor a single pinhole or dust speck beneath the screen on any of the two units. I checked very well, because of the current screen QC issues the PWs and Auras have. Also, the contrast was worse than that of even my first Kindle PW and much worse than that of my PW2. The text looked less sharp.

In short: To me, the new GlowLight is less attractive than any of the current readers I have seen. In the past, I always felt that the page turn buttons and SD card slot were an advantage over the competition like the Kindle. Not enough of an advantage to ever make ME want to switch, but enough to keep BN afloat. I want them to do well, as competition is always good. I don't think this device will do it for them. I still find the chubby, black NST endearing, but at the $79 they are still selling it, not compelling enough for new customers, I fear.
I totally agree with you.

is there any way of contacting the b & n executives who are responsible for this travesty?

i want to contact them and give them a piece of my mind and tell them what we think of them.

The company has been ruined by these moronic ,unimaginative ,overpaid mediocre 1/2 wits who are completely out of touch with what we want.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote