Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
another kick in the teeth for dx owners...no personal docs

amazon are surelt taking the mick? my dxg isnt even a year old!
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The DX is a Kindle 2. Did you really expect to get it in the Kindle 2 firmware?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Max99, you do still have the big screen, don't you? Are you going to whine that it isn't a "touch" device, too?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Me and my K2 will get along quite nicely without the feature. It's not like the DX was singled out or anything.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The DX is a Kindle 2. Did you really expect to get it in the Kindle 2 firmware?
Yes, I would. See below.
Isn't included in the Kindle 3 firmware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Me and my K2 will get along quite nicely without the feature. It's not like the DX was singled out or anything.
The point is Kindle2 is not sold anymore, the KDXG is.
Can you appreciate the difference or are you just trolling along?

Last edited by eLiNK; 10-20-2011 at 09:26 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The DX is still being sold, but it's a "dead" line as far as Amazon are concerned. You know that; I know that; we all know that. It's a Kindle 2 with a 9.7" screen, and you are not going to get any new firmware features for it. It's unrealistic to expect them. You're just wasting your time complaining about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
The DX has always been sold with version 2 firmware. Expecting a product to be improved significantly after it's purchased is often a recipe for disappointment.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
The DX is still being sold, but it's a "dead" line as far as Amazon are concerned. You know that; I know that; we all know that. It's a Kindle 2 with a 9.7" screen, and you are not going to get any new firmware features for it. It's unrealistic to expect them.
Why should I care if Amazon (judging only by the treatment of their KDXG customers) considers it a "dead" line?
If it is not officially announced to be a discontinued model, I would expect them to support it further.

Quote:
... You're just wasting your time complaining about it.
Well, maybe you should also consider not to waste your time.

Sorry, but I do not regard such advices as well-meant.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
The DX has always been sold with version 2 firmware. Expecting a product to be improved significantly after it's purchased is often a recipe for disappointment.
Do not get me wrong I am not disappointed.
I bought the device not because it is in Amazon that I trust.
From day one, I used the Doukan's firmware instead.

But I consider such business practices as discriminating, nonetheless.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I've always considered whining more offensive than trolling. But I'm doing neither.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've always considered whining more offensive than trolling. But I'm doing neither.
Says who?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Moderator Notice
Please keep your comments targeted on the thread topic. Do NOT engage in personal attacks or accusations of whining/trolling.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Do not get me wrong I am not disappointed.
I bought the device not because it is in Amazon that I trust.
From day one, I used the Doukan's firmware instead.

But I consider such business practices as discriminating, nonetheless.
How is it discriminating, mate? I'd like the 3-line dictionary preview and X-ray on my Kindle 3, but I won't get it. Live with it.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
How is it discriminating, mate? I'd like the 3-line dictionary preview and X-ray on my Kindle 3, but I won't get it. Live with it.
The KDXG is as old as K3 (actually one month older) and is currently sold (which is the main point).
Still, the K3 gets the update enabling personal doc syncing (introduced in the "K4" firmware), while the KDXG does not.
That's how.

Last edited by eLiNK; 10-20-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I suspect the OP considers it discriminatory because K3s are getting something that DXs aren't, and both are still for sale. I can see his point, but I don't agree.

I bought my K3 for the feature set it had when I bought it. If I never got a single update, I wouldn't care - it would still do what it did when I decided that it was worth the price I paid. I wouldn't care if the situation was reversed, and the DX was getting updates and the K3 wasn't.

I've seen several people on here complaining about the lack of updates for the DX, though.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote