Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
sibelhodge
Enthusiast
sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A roundup of colour ereaders

http://besttabletreview.com/a-compar...ablet-screens/

Sibel
sibelhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Looks good, but some of the numbers are a little questionable, and I wonder where they get their proof of LCD eye strain. Overall it's a nice article though.

This is very similar to a basic summary of these kinds of display Nate wanted to put on the front page.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Looks good, but some of the numbers are a little questionable, and I wonder where they get their proof of LCD eye strain. Overall it's a nice article though.
Probably from experience of the person who did the photos.

Different people react differently to LCD vs eInk, so I don't think such a comparison is possible. For example, I can't look at LCD screen in a dark room at all, instant headache - but I can look at it for hours if it's in bright lightbulb light. And I know a person who gets eye strain from CRT monitors, but none at all from LCD, even in darkness.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Probably from experience of the person who did the photos.

Different people react differently to LCD vs eInk, so I don't think such a comparison is possible. For example, I can't look at LCD screen in a dark room at all, instant headache - but I can look at it for hours if it's in bright lightbulb light. And I know a person who gets eye strain from CRT monitors, but none at all from LCD, even in darkness.
Yes, and old CRTs were pretty notorious at times. I myself used to get headaches reading from them. LCDs on the other hand, I have no problem whatsoever as long as ambient light is balanced with the backlight intensity, and I am exercising good reading habits (e.g. blinking regularly, not focusing too closely, &c.)

However, the article used the word "proven", which is a strong word to use in the absence of proof. If they're going to claim it is proven, it would be nice if they offered some details on the studies that provided said proof.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Generally I don't get eyestrain with LCD, probably because I use them at work all day and my eyes have adapted. My mother, on the other hand hates LCDs, says they give her headaches eventually.

These color devices look incredible, I really hope Kindle doesn't get left in the dust, but unless the K3 has mirasol, then they might be in trouble. Mainstream buyers will go for multi-use devices with video and other features that 'also' act as readers.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I typically don't have any problems reading on an LCD in low light or in situations or most indoor locations. Reading outside on an LCD is terrible, however, and this is where I can see these new technologies really shining.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
BeTaRe
BeTaRe began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
However, the article used the word "proven", which is a strong word to use in the absence of proof. If they're going to claim it is proven, it would be nice if they offered some details on the studies that provided said proof.
While I thought it was a generally accepted idea that emmissive and backlit displays create more eye strain due to brightness and refresh rates, you're right to be asking for proof.

In a paper published on January 28, 2009 -- Measuring the degree of eyestrain caused by watching LCD and PDP devices -- four researchers created and tested a method that measured eye strain in individuals. Their findings were that both produce a large degree of eyestrain and that LCD devices produce a greater degree of eyestrain then PDP. The results were based on calculating the blink rate and pupil dilation of the subject, in a real time algorithm, while watching the displays.

Still, you're correct in stating that I shouldn't have used the word "proven" without quoting a reference. My apologies. I'm a firm believer that people producing web content should do so responsibly and be held to task if reckless.

Hope that you and the other MobileReaders enjoyed the article though.
BeTaRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTaRe View Post
While I thought it was a generally accepted idea that emmissive and backlit displays create more eye strain due to brightness and refresh rates, you're right to be asking for proof.

In a paper published on January 28, 2009 -- Measuring the degree of eyestrain caused by watching LCD and PDP devices -- four researchers created and tested a method that measured eye strain in individuals. Their findings were that both produce a large degree of eyestrain and that LCD devices produce a greater degree of eyestrain then PDP. The results were based on calculating the blink rate and pupil dilation of the subject, in a real time algorithm, while watching the displays.

Still, you're correct in stating that I shouldn't have used the word "proven" without quoting a reference. My apologies. I'm a firm believer that people producing web content should do so responsibly and be held to task if reckless.

Hope that you and the other MobileReaders enjoyed the article though.
Thanks a bunch. I've been looking for a few studies that established realistic links between emissive displays and eye fatigue or eye strain. Most such claims are just claims without any real evidence behind them, and many people are not especially sensitive to LCD viewing, myself included.

Also, Pixel Qi was saying their current screen's power consumption is about half a watt in reflective mode, while your article suggested 0.2 watts. Was that figure from Notion Ink, or from Pixel Qi?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
BeTaRe
BeTaRe began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks a bunch. I've been looking for a few studies that established realistic links between emissive displays and eye fatigue or eye strain. Most such claims are just claims without any real evidence behind them, and many people are not especially sensitive to LCD viewing, myself included.
Not a problem. Happy to help.

Quote:
Also, Pixel Qi was saying their current screen's power consumption is about half a watt in reflective mode, while your article suggested 0.2 watts. Was that figure from Notion Ink, or from Pixel Qi?
The 0.2W figure was quoted by SlashGear from Rohan Shravan (Notion Ink founder) at CES.
BeTaRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTaRe View Post
Not a problem. Happy to help.

The 0.2W figure was quoted by SlashGear from Rohan Shravan (Notion Ink founder) at CES.
I have to wonder about the truth of their claims regarding the screen. I guess it makes the screen look better though...better than Pixel Qi said at least.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I have to wonder about the truth of their claims regarding the screen. I guess it makes the screen look better though...better than Pixel Qi said at least.
I wonder if Pixel Qi is perhaps including the display controller in their power usage claims?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereaders