Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
stallone
stallone began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which to buy?

Ok, I've been reading about eBook readers for some time, and have finally registered to post this question. Which should I buy?

I bought my mom the Sony PRS-505 for her birthday early this year. At the time, I thought it was the best way to go, it can read books from various stores and the Sony store and libraries as well. It handles most of the formats that anyone would want, and should be good going forward as well (hoping that Adobe and B&N's changing of DRM in ePub doesn't affect it, or that Sony will update the firmware/software if needed).

As for me and buying one now (or asking for one for the holidays), I'd lean toward the Sony PRS-505 if it can be found for $200 or less, or the PRS-300. I've thought about a first gen Kindle since you can get a refurb for $150, but then you have the hassle of removing DRM and converting to mobi to read library books or books from other vendors. But, you do get the Whispernet and internet browser with it so it is less of a one trick pony.

And to add in what may be the best choice, though most expensive, the nook. It's a bit more expensive than the others I have listed, but it combines the better capabilities of both the Sony readers and the Kindle. It sounds like it will handle ePub, so library books and books from other vendors should be able to be read (please correct me if I'm wrong there since that's a huge selling point for me), and it has wifi and cell data for book shopping for now (and perhaps a simple web browser in the future).

The more I think of it, the more I lean toward the nook. I wouldn't save a lot of money in getting either of the Sony readers, so the nook gets more attractive the more I think of it.

Thanks for your help everyone! And I look forward to talking more about eBooks and readers with the community here.
stallone is offline   Reply With Quote