Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #106
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I didn't *is a quote from above*

but thanks : D

twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #107
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftail View Post
You don't need to take photos of the Paperwhite. Tap the upper right corner and the lower left at the same time. The screen flashes and a screenshot saved to the root.
Doesn't work in kterm. What does work though is issuing the screenshot comand since you already have a shell open.

Like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	kterm-0.5.png
Views:	515
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	101123

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-12-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: uploaded image
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #108
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow. those really are small buttons aren't they.

I see it now. I should overlay that one next.

Right....
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #109
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
I did similar test: x11vnc on kindle, Chicken VNC client. Everything works ok. I don't think it is a kterm issue. Something goes wrong on the way. Anyway you have already found a solution.
Lol. Great I should go buy a mac. hehehe
Old 02-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #110
cubemike99
Enthusiast
cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Oh man. Knowing about fill="true" went a long way to fixing the spacing. After a bunch of fiddling, I got the keyboard you see in the picture below (on the Paperwhite, no less). I removed the keys that I thought weren't useful enough to keep, giving the remaining keys much more room. Attached is also the kterm/layouts/keyboard.xml I made.

picture

file
cubemike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #111
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubemike99 View Post
Oh man. Knowing about fill="true" went a long way to fixing the spacing. After a bunch of fiddling, I got the keyboard you see in the picture below (on the Paperwhite, no less). I removed the keys that I thought weren't useful enough to keep, giving the remaining keys much more room. Attached is also the kterm/layouts/keyboard.xml I made.

picture

file
Lol. it would be nice to have a list of what you elided

Excellent work however. perhaps this could be available on all devices as an "alt" keyboard layout. maybe even switchable.. anyways. good one.

Glad you got it sorted.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #112
Fvek
Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Touch
Perhaps the keyboard layout should be settable via config or command line option? (The latter would also allow for custom controls for programs started with -e via the launcher.)
Fvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #113
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvek View Post
Perhaps the keyboard layout should be settable via config or command line option? (The latter would also allow for custom controls for programs started with -e via the launcher.)
It is settable by a config file -
File is attached to the post you did not quote.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #114
Fvek
Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is settable by a config file -
File is attached to the post you did not quote.
I mean kterm's config file

---

To clarify: kterm has the location of matchbox keyboard's config file hard coded. I'm suggesting that the location should be also exposed to users via kterm's config file and the command line, allowing for the switch of keyboard layouts without having to alter or move the config file at the default location.

---

Since it was easy to implement this, I went and did it. The latest commit on github lets you specify the MB keyboard conf path either with "kb_conf_path = ..." in kterm.conf or with the -l (for layout) command line option.

Last edited by Fvek; 02-12-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Fvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #115
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

picture

file
I like that. Which keys did you eliminate?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #116
cubemike99
Enthusiast
cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I got rid of page up, page down, home, end and the separate @ key (I made it the shift-modified version of 2, since that's what it is on American keyboards). I also moved the up arrow key to the bottom row and rearranged the order of all the arrows.
cubemike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #117
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
kterm 0.6

New kterm package is available.
It includes command line and config parameter for specifying alternate keyboard layout. (by Fvek)
I also included in the package keyboard layout for wide screen (by cubemike99). It should be automatically picked up for Paperwhite.
Thanks guys!
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #118
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I got rid of page up, page down, home, end and the separate @ key (I made it the shift-modified version of 2, since that's what it is on American keyboards). I also moved the up arrow key to the bottom row and rearranged the order of all the arrows.
ARGH, just noticed that you also got rid of the ESC key. That won't do for me - have to patch that back in with ESC-key. Using ctrl-[ to escape out in vi would work though, but not as nice as a seperate key. Doesn't have to be on top - next to space would be fine.

Will have a look this weekend to make me a wide and non-wide us-dvorak key-layout. If they turn out nice, will post them here.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #119
DuckieTigger
Wizard

US-Dvorak Keymap for PW

Had some fun with trial and error and reading examples and more trial and error and this:

Finally I came up with a keyboard layout for kterm that works. This is the first draft version. Only Normal keys and shifted and capslock work so far, the extra symbols are not implemented yet - the buttons exist, but does not change anything yet.

Please note, that this version might NOT work on Kindle Touch, as baf mentioned that using no images for buttons crashes the matchbox keyboard. On the PW this all works - it only uses: tab, capslock, shift, ctrl, alt, a/F, A/L, return, arrow-keys from the images. The rest the keyboard puts in itself. Just to verify, please someone test this on a KT. If it does not work, I will make another version with images.

Todo: finish this layout with extra keys, make compatible for KT (if it doesn't work), do the whole hula-loop again for a more standard Qwerty layout.

Feedback welcome.

Attached is the layout that can be dropped in as is on PW (tested), and 3 screenshots with normal, shifted, capslocked screenies. Please make sure to make a copy of the normal keyboard-wide.xml before copying this one over. Please see update note 2.

UPDATE: Unfortunately no images still does not work on Touch, even with 5.3.2. - thank you twobob for testing.

UPDATE2: Removed the attached xml file. I am much more happy with the result in post #126. That one has potential to work on the Touch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	normal.png
Views:	383
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	101261   Click image for larger version

Name:	shifted.png
Views:	368
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	101262   Click image for larger version

Name:	capslocked.png
Views:	466
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	101263  

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-15-2013 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Won't work on Touch :(
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #120
twobob

will have alook now.

if it is anything like last time the text will be stupid large.

Gimme sec.

[root@kindle kterm]# ./bin/kterm
Quote:
*** glibc detected *** /mnt/us/extensions/kterm/bin/matchbox-keyboard: double free or corruption (!prev): 0x00054380 ***
Aborted
matchbox-keyboard failed to return valid window ID
: No such file or directory
surprisingly epic fail.

just fails to start. Digging reveals the above

Further digging:

[root@kindle kterm]# ./bin/matchbox-keyboard
Quote:
matchbox-keyboard: *Error* Couldn't find a keyboard config file
am I missing something? I tried it as keyboard-wide.xml and keyboard.xml.
will check lines endings didnt get mangled or something really stupid by me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_114.png
Views:	363
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	101269  

Last edited by twobob; 02-14-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, terminal emulator