Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Device: none
Small screen printing framework

Hi all!
I've created a small printing framework based on the "eips" utility in the Kindle. It's written as a shell script which you can source and use its functions.
Features:
  • prints on the screen
  • auto new-lineing
  • auto scrolling
  • small formatting utility
  • you can print "-i" on the screen with it! (try it with eips... no good)
Limitations:
This tool is limited by eips, so:
  1. certain characters are replaced by similar ones / totally OT ones
  2. the "\" character is not replaced (stupid shell.. don't know why )
Function list:
  • mp_reset -> resets screen+options
  • print <text> -> prints text with no newline at the end
  • printn <text> -> prints text with newline at the end
  • pcenter <text> -> prints text centered on the line
  • psetpos <x> <y> -> sets cursor position on the screen
  • pback -> moves back one character on the line
  • pbackf -> erases character under cursor and moves back one character on the line
  • pbackline -> if the X cursor position is zero, moves to previous line, else sets x=0
  • pbacklinef -> like pbackline + erases line
  • pscroll <num> [from] -> scrolls num lines (if from is set, skips from lines from the up)
  • pprintf <text> -> prints text with formatting
  • pprintfn <text> -> like pprintf but with the newline at the end
The last two options allow you to print some program output to the screen like this:
Code:
pprintfn "$(ls)"
which prints dir listing to the screen.
Configurables: (enabled means set to 1)
  • mp_h -> if enabled, text is printed out highlighted
  • mp_scroll -> sets num lines to autoscroll;0=erase entire screen
  • mp_scroll_from -> num of lines which won't be erased when scrolling/erasing (from up)
Download:
http://jailbreak-kt.tk/bin/pfw
How to use:
Code:
source /path/to/pfw
# it will init automatically
printn "Hello world!"
This one started as screen printing helper in web jailbreak, but I decided it would be good to refine it and share. Hope my effort was useful!

Last edited by mmatej; 07-10-2012 at 11:57 AM.
mmatej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You can add some more interesting eips wrapper code by sourcing the built-in FUNCTIONS script. That even does centering and other stuff. Also, there is an eips command to scroll the screen (used in some of my published scripts) -- no need to use dd for that...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
mmatej
Connoisseur
mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.mmatej is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can add some more interesting eips wrapper code by sourcing the built-in FUNCTIONS script. That even does centering and other stuff. Also, there is an eips command to scroll the screen (used in some of my published scripts) -- no need to use dd for that...
I've found some eips-related things in /etc/upstart/functions, but I don't see centering here. Could you tell me where the functions script is? Also, I was not able to scroll entire screen with eips - it always skips first line.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
So put a status bar or menu bar or some such on the first line and don't bother with it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So put a status bar or menu bar or some such on the first line and don't bother with it.
When I don't want to?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatej View Post
I've found some eips-related things in /etc/upstart/functions, but I don't see centering here. Could you tell me where the functions script is? Also, I was not able to scroll entire screen with eips - it always skips first line.
Yeah. I used it for a title line and a "user input" line in my tiny eips-based terminal script. Using eips limits you to not using a LOT of characters needed by linux, so the next "terminal" used "dd" to blit character images (the tiny tty "titty" script).

There was an eips replacement program posted awhile back (eprint, I think) that should do more characters. It is in an thread by fbdev, as I recall.

The functions script that did centering was on my K3. There were other useful eink functions too. I did not look closely at it on newer kindles. Perhaps the "good stuff" is missing in the latest firmware.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-10-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When I don't want to?
Call the Amazon support desk or write your own replacement.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Call the Amazon support desk or write your own replacement.
Great idea! I cannot think of the reason why this didn't come to my mind. I must be very stupid.
I gave you the max karma I could. You really deserve it.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Great idea! I cannot think of the reason why this didn't come to my mind. I must be very stupid.
I gave you the max karma I could. You really deserve it.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #10
mmatej
Connoisseur

BTW, if someone used this script, post or PM me. If not, at least I know I shouldn't bother with things like this when no one really cares.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
BTW, if someone used this script, post or PM me. If not, at least I know I shouldn't bother with things like this when no one really cares.
It takes awhile to get noticed. Even my kindle video took a long time before I got any feedback. Be patient.

EDIT: If nothing else, YOU learned something by creating it, and sharing it will (eventually) help others. Thank you for sharing. I am sure somebody will find a use for it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-10-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It takes awhile to get noticed. Even my kindle video took a long time before I got any feedback. Be patient.

EDIT: If nothing else, YOU learned something by creating it, and sharing it will (eventually) help others. Thank you for sharing. I am sure somebody will find a use for it.
Oh yes, I don't expect to be noticed immediately. But some responses here are far away from my expectations.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:50 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@mmatej: Welcome to the Internet? Joking aside, it really is appreciated, and I'd suggest to just ignore the grumpy people ;-).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #14
mmatej
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@mmatej: Welcome to the Internet? Joking aside, it really is appreciated, and I'd suggest to just ignore the grumpy people ;-).
Yeah, let's not allow our party to be stopped!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:30 AM   #15
geekmaster

Sadly, the best programmers tend to have some degree of OCD, which is often accompanied by mood swings. It gets worse as we get older (i.e. Grumpy Old Men). Just be patient and forgiving with us, because we have a lot to offer...