Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 03:44 AM   #31
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You have two kinds of LCD. One is reflective. Which means there is some kind of mirrory surface that reflects light back. The same as with paper (or e-ink). It doesn't have a backlight, because that wouldn't come through that mirror surface. Sometimes, such devices can have a "front-light" (the same as with the Sony 600), but this light is above the LCD layer, not behind. These screens are (almost?) always black and white.
Almost always, yes. Some devices, including several older gaming handhelds (eg. Game Gear, Game Boy Color & original GB Advance), have used color reflective LCDs. These screens being rather dim as a result.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 AM   #32
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Almost always, yes. Some devices, including several older gaming handhelds (eg. Game Gear, Game Boy Color & original GB Advance), have used color reflective LCDs. These screens being rather dim as a result.
Those are not color reflective LCDs. Those are weakly backlit. Traditional color LCD designs have such poor light transmission that a rather strong backlight is needed.

Edit: I think I was wrong about at least one of those. The Game Gear for sure has a backlit screen, but after looking at some details of the GBA, it may well be a reflective screen with a frontlight.

Edit 2: Yeah. I spoke too soon about the Nintendo versions. They used frontlights with reflective screens until a later revision switched to a brighter backlit solution.
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/652/652641p1.html

Last edited by LDBoblo; 06-01-2010 at 04:04 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 04:03 AM   #33
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Those are not color reflective LCDs. Those are weakly backlit. Traditional color LCD designs have such poor light transmission that a rather strong backlight is needed.
The Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance (original) were definitely reflective LCDs. Though I guess the Game Gear, which I've never seen in person, wasn't.

Quote:
Edit 2: Yeah. I spoke too soon about the Nintendo versions. They used frontlights with reflective screens until a later revision switched to a brighter backlit solution.
http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/652/652641p1.html
Yeah, the early Advance SPs had a front light. Later models, which the fans dubbed "mk II", were backlit. Unfortunately neither the GB Color nor first Advance model had any sort of built-in lighting. And being color reflective LCDs that was a problem.

Last edited by Dylrob; 06-01-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #34
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
Seems that there's some degree of pressure detection, but we don't know how many levels there are.
It could also be a simple drawing speed detection - like the option you can set in GIMP when you draw using a mouse. I think they would write about pressure detection if it was available.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #35
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
It could also be a simple drawing speed detection - like the option you can set in GIMP when you draw using a mouse. I think they would write about pressure detection if it was available.
It's possible, but the guy in the video stated it was pressure. Product demonstrators don't always know what they're talking about though, so he could be wrong.

Further, they had to issue a correction just so their input resolution figure was understood. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were too inept to give good details.

Honestly though, I've no more enthusiasm for the product after seeing it in these videos. It's cheap, and if it were light and portable, I'd probably get one just as a toy. However, Engadget claimed it was quite heavy as well.
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #36
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
It's possible, but the guy in the video stated it was pressure.
That would be good news. I didn't hear it because I haven't got audio where I watched it.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #37
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
The sketch samples certainly did not have the varying thickness that one usually sees in pressure sensitive pen inking. I'm guessing it's either turned off in the demo or it's not there altogether.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #38
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
The sketch samples certainly did not have the varying thickness that one usually sees in pressure sensitive pen inking. I'm guessing it's either turned off in the demo or it's not there altogether.
The demonstrator in the video I posted used the bamboo/leaf drawing as an example of pressure sensitivity. The lines did taper, albeit only a little bit. Calligraphic bamboo "paintings" are a standard way of demonstrating pressure sensitivity.

We don't know details of how it works yet, and we know nothing about the software in it. All I'm going by is what the demonstrator showed and said.

Also, another mention of pressure sensitivity/Wacom tech is in the following video, though it could be interpreted different ways.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 06-01-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #39
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
So, it's a wacom screen. The page-turning he did with his finger on the bottom of the device, not on the screen itself.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #40
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
The demonstrator in the video I posted used the bamboo/leaf drawing as an example of pressure sensitivity. The lines did taper, albeit only a little bit.
You're right, I was watching a different video. It looks like pressure sensitivity is quite likely in there.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Wacom screens (or, to be more precise, Wacom styluses) are pressure sensitive. Whether or not the firmware makes use of the pressure information is, of course, a different question entirely.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #42
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Wacom used to make styluses (and tablets / screens) which were binary and only did on-off --- the NCR-3125/3130 system for example used such an input digitizer and wouldn't work w/ a pressure-sensitive pen from a Wacom ArtZ/ArtPad, while the non-pressure sensitive pen from the NCR _would_ work on an ArtZ or ArtPad.

They also did a special ``inking'' stylus (w/ matching tablet which one had to load w/ a sheet of paper) which was a ball-point pen, but also did signature capture.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #43
watershawl
Enthusiast
watershawl began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Slashdot has a thread on this and it is being reported that the Eee Pad supports flash.

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/...Tablet-PC-Race
watershawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #44
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by watershawl View Post
Slashdot has a thread on this and it is being reported that the Eee Pad supports flash.

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/...Tablet-PC-Race
You did read this thread didn't you? Then you must realize that you linked a different forum's discussion about a different product, thus being completely off-topic.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #45
watershawl
Enthusiast
watershawl began at the beginning.

Device: nook
@LDBoblo I did read the thread, but I apologize for not realizing what I did. Thanks for the correction.
watershawl is offline   Reply With Quote