Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 08:30 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I want color though.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:38 AM   #17
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Lack of pressure detection makes it not suited to drawing.
I hope the Wacom stylus is more precise than on Onyx Boox 60 or Irex. I don't know how much DPI they have.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
Lack of pressure detection makes it not suited to drawing.
I hope the Wacom stylus is more precise than on Onyx Boox 60 or Irex. I don't know how much DPI they have.
Seems that there's some degree of pressure detection, but we don't know how many levels there are.

Here's another video of the device. Sorry it's in Chinese. Seems a bit slow, and since it also appears to be a hefty beast...I am having more and more reservations about it.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
It's using the same B/W LCD that was in portable video games in the early 80s. C'mon, ASUS, this is nonsensical.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #20
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
It's using the same B/W LCD that was in portable video games in the early 80s. C'mon, ASUS, this is nonsensical.
Err... No it's not.

The 80's B&W LCD screens are monochrome - something you can find in the old RCA REB-1100 e-readers.
This is a non-backlit LCD screen similar to Pixel Qi technology.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Not sure I could handle taking large amounts of handwritten notes anymore. After years of keyboarding, I can barely sign my own name...and from the looks of the video, the same is true of the people playing with the device... <g>
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
True, but I'l love to have a fully-functional and color wacom-input tablet I could do art on using Painter! That would be cool!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #23
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Not sure I could handle taking large amounts of handwritten notes anymore. After years of keyboarding, I can barely sign my own name...and from the looks of the video, the same is true of the people playing with the device... <g>
Same, but some places you just can't use keyboard easily.

In meetings where the noise of typing isn't kosher, or jotting down notes on scrap paper while I'm cleaning data and running some analyses etc.

So I'd like robust stylus note taking features on whatever tablet I end up with. No interest in a monochrome tablet--I'd probably go more for a 2nd or 3rd gen Windows tablet once they get the battery life up closer to iPad levels.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #24
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Err... No it's not.

The 80's B&W LCD screens are monochrome - something you can find in the old RCA REB-1100 e-readers.
Pixel Qi is multi-mode transflective.
The EEE Tablet has a screen more like what we have in the jetBook.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #25
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Pixel Qi is multi-mode transflective.
The EEE Tablet has a screen more like what we have in the jetBook.
Thanks for the clarification - I'm a bit thin on the technical details behind it all.
What I meant to say by comparing it to Pixel Qi is that it's B&W and it's not backlit.
I thought jetBook was just a plain ol' LCD? So much to learn, so little time ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #26
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79623

I just found this thread going into the pros and cons of this technology.

On hindsight the LCD might be the way to go for annotation due to its speed. However, it is sensitive to lighting angle/quality and viewing angle which makes it less versatile. Given the relative importance of reading is more than writing, the fight might well go to e-ink, but it's dependent on individual reading styles. Personally I like to shift and move a lot, so the viewing angle and glare issue is a major one for me.

Last edited by fishface; 05-31-2010 at 04:05 PM.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #27
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification - I'm a bit thin on the technical details behind it all.
What I meant to say by comparing it to Pixel Qi is that it's B&W and it's not backlit.
I thought jetBook was just a plain ol' LCD? So much to learn, so little time ...
Yes, the jetBook is LCD. It's not backlit and it's grayscale. The IPS panel in the iPad is also LCD, as is Pixel Qi. The original Nintendo GameBoy had an LCD too, and so do nearly all digital watches and calculators.

LCD is a fundamental display technology that allows both transmissive and reflective designs. It is the turkey in the turkey sandwich, rather than the whole sandwich.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #28
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
lickity quick 0.1 second page turns on a backlight-less TFT-LCD
Is page turn speed even an issue on a TFT-LCD?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:27 PM   #29
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Yes, the jetBook is LCD. It's not backlit and it's grayscale. The IPS panel in the iPad is also LCD, as is Pixel Qi. The original Nintendo GameBoy had an LCD too, and so do nearly all digital watches and calculators.

LCD is a fundamental display technology that allows both transmissive and reflective designs. It is the turkey in the turkey sandwich, rather than the whole sandwich.
Oh god, looking at my original "brick" Game Boy it's amazing to see how much LCDs have evolved from that low resolution blur-o-vision.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Err... No it's not.

Quote:

You have two kinds of LCD. One is reflective. Which means there is some kind of mirrory surface that reflects light back. The same as with paper (or e-ink). It doesn't have a backlight, because that wouldn't come through that mirror surface. Sometimes, such devices can have a "front-light" (the same as with the Sony 600), but this light is above the LCD layer, not behind. These screens are (almost?) always black and white.

The other is transparent. In this case, there is no mirrory surface and light from outside will pass right through the LCD layer. So, no reflection means visibility (as you can only see due to the reflection of light). These devices need to have a backlight to make things visible. In well-lit areas, this can be a problem, as the ambient lighting can be much brighter than the backlit, so you will have less visibility.

A third option is transflective, which comes from transparent and reflective. The mirrory surface in this case is not completely a mirror, it will let light through both ways. So, you can add backlight and you can turn off the backlight and still have a good contrast in well-lit rooms. This type of screens is already being used for some time in the high-end PDA's.

What PixelQi is doing is optimizing the transflective technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Is page turn speed even an issue on a TFT-LCD?
Yes, but that has more to do with processor power rather than screen refresh...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote