Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #16
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast
Dennisvjames began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
hey I'd like a larger screen too and have my eyes open. considering the value of the lcd and the changes that can be had by making it reflective vs. having a backlight -- it's possible that the e-ink screens will be a blip and new lower-cost lower-power higher-resolution lcd screens will take over...at least with folks in the know. I'd actually prefer that...
Dennisvjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #17
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyoon.vegas View Post
Unfortunately no.
It still views files as a txt file.
Hush, you'll hurt its little feelings. Besides, that's not true. It can do simulated italics, and 3 heading levels.

Kindly,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #18
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
...and inline images.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #19
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
Hush, you'll hurt its little feelings. Besides, that's not true. It can do simulated italics, and 3 heading levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
...and inline images.
Whoa. Now we're living in the 20th century!

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #20
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast

It's my understanding that it's ereader CRM (which is not bad if you want to buy DRM books), not the kind of drm that let's you read library books (Adobe DRM - this is the one I want)...
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Unfortunately, hyperlinks are not implemented in any of the many formats available.

The fact that Ectaco's many files actually DO work (as opposed to much of the competition), is a persuasive argument to get the hyperlinks implemented - and SOON.

Also, (as a small side-note), it would be nice if .lit files were available, too. (Astak's Pocket Pro offers .lit but is - frankly - an embarrassment, in my opinion.)

Add the above, and the Ectaco (already a fine Reader), will be further enhanced.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #22
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Agree, would love to see .lit support.

It would make it the king of the formats if they could pull that off.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Adding the .lit format might be nice but this may be a time when a company like Ectaco
needs to be selective as to where it spends its limited product development resources.

This seems to be a time when technology has provided a large number of development opportunities. They have to try and guess the cost to benefit ratio for each of those
options they have to pursue. They have to decide whether being an also ran in the large
color bookreader market of the future, is the more viable course -or- if it's better to be
the leader in the pocket Translating Dictionary/eBook Reader market. Or if any other of
the many possible directions for their company makes the most sense.

With the ePub DRM already having been demonstrated to work on the hardware -and-
it being a format that a company (B&N) with whom they have already partnered, is using,
-and- it being a format in wide use by public libraries; I would expect that to be next on
their list. It has the most immediate "bang for the buck" of the development options on
hand at the moment, IMHO.

[Then they should get right to work adding GPS and multi-lingual/translating maps.]

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #24
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Unfortunately, hyperlinks are not implemented in any of the many formats available.
Also, (as a small side-note), it would be nice if .lit files were available, too. (Astak's Pocket Pro offers .lit but is - frankly - an embarrassment, in my opinion.)
I agree on the hyperlinks.

WRT .lit: The MS Reader team seems to consist of autistic savants who can produce a wonderful product, and have no idea how to make it popular. It's sad, really. I doubt Ectaco wants to pay MS's reportedly very high licensing fees.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #25
Dennisvjames
Enthusiast

Question Once there was a railroad...made it run...brother can you spare a firmware update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisvjames View Post
Yo it's January 6th, are you so fixated on the Jetbook lites that you've forgotten about us...your original customers? Ectaco - where are you?

1/17/2010...still no Jetbook firmware update...multiple Jetbook Lite firmware updates...

...Ectaco...yoohoo! Over here!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #26
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Me too Dennis!

I've been running the "unpublished, possibly unstable "H" Firmware".
Had a few issues the first week but since then its settled down and behaving.
However I'd really like to get upgraded a notch.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #27
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisvjames View Post
1/17/2010...still no Jetbook firmware update...multiple Jetbook Lite firmware updates...

...Ectaco...yoohoo! Over here!!!
I expect that they will have a jetBook update soon.

I suspect that there was a contractual obligation to get the eReader DRM up and running on the lite, given that fictionwise is selling the lite on that basis.

Now that it is running (although still not perfect) they can probably transfer the code to the jetBook regular.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
I have compared the core of both units and they run the same linux kernel. So any firmware for one will work on both. I think you are correct Ken they are trying to solve the DRM problem for B&N. BUT, it will only take them a day or so to compile to work on the original jetbook. The only difference is the "lite: does not have the audio built in. The displays and the interface to the user are the same.

Because this is an embedded linux they modules or features are compiled into the system rather than "installed". That is why they do hardware checking to make sure you are not trying to put "lite" firmware on a original unit.

A day to compile?

Are they doing this on a Commodore 64? (Or a Timex Sinclair ZX-81?)

Both are from 1982. And I owned both in 1982.

Don

P.S.: If anyone makes a funny comment, I'm going to get out my Kaypro 2 running CP/M and bash you on the head with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZX81-left.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	43719   Click image for larger version

Name:	320px-Commodore64.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	43720  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-18-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #29
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
If they really persist I will get out my 100lb Imsai 8080 and drop it on their foot and make them pay the electric bill. I would even make them key in the binary paper tape loader software with the toggle switches on the front panel.

God we are getting dated aren't we ?

Last edited by gr8npwrfl; 01-18-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: pictures
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #30
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
I emailed Pavel earlier about the regular Jetbook firmware, and they are trying to get the final version of the Lite firmware complete (bug fixes for .15 I'm guessing, no other information was given), then port the reader/drm changes over to the regular Jetbook firmware at the same time (that was his answer, soon as the 'final' Lite firmware was released, the final Jetbook firmware would follow the same day). Makes sense to me really, get the Lite firmware working with as few problems as you can, then back-port the reader files over to the Jetbook (which isn't JUST a Lite with audio like some have mentioned, you have to have the logic to control the battery charger too).

I'd say just have some patience, it's not like they are sitting around twiddling their thumbs doing nothing, doesn't make any sense to me to stop working on the Lite firmware, which is almost there as far as I can tell, to work on the older Jetbook firmware, when you can get the former completed, and port to the latter and have them both done at once...
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote