Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #16
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
I received my Oberon 505 cover in "Saddle - Tree of Life" today and I thought I would share my first impressions with you all.
Excellent - and thank you for the review!

I ended up ordering a Green World Tree for myself (I have a silver 505) and a Red Sun for my wife (I bought her a red 505 for Valentine's Day). I actually ordered these last week before seeing this review - I couldn't wait - and they're waiting for me at the post office, so I'll be picking them up tonight on my way home from work.

I can't wait.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
artelahe
artelahe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS505
It is a beautiful cover and must feel very interesting on your skin as you hold the book.

One of the initial struggles I had with the reader was holding the left cover open as it cut into my hand. One day I saw someone reading her PRS-500 with the cover folded back. Eureka! This radical step eased my arthritic hands as they held my 505.

So.. long wind up.. here's the question, does this lovely Oberon cover fold back all the way? Is the leather too stiff to allow this (ever)?
artelahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Yes, it folds back fully - watch the Oberon Kindle Cover demo video and you will see.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #19
TDF
Enthusiast
TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Sony PRS-505 (mostly RIP)
This looks pretty awesome. I actually ordered the reader a couple of days ago, so I'm looking at different covers right now. Ideally I'd want something that could act both as a cover and as a case (so that it's both comfortable to hold and there's some sort of reassurance that if it falls, it won't break). So my question is, is there some sort of frame in this cover or it's completely flexible?
TDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #20
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur

While it doesn't zip closed like some of the armoured cases, the Oberon cover is fairly rigid and also slightly larger than the Sony reader. If you watch the sample video on the Oberon site about their Kindle reader, you will see that this is to help protect the vulnerable corners. The screen is protected by the fact that the sides of the cover are two thicknesses of leather plus a felt pad plus a rigid plastic insert.

If you routinely drop your Sony Reader on the floor, you would be better off with a rigid neoprene zipcase with impact foam inside. Leather covers (also including the M-Edge) are a compromise of style and ease of holding on the one hand and protection on the other.

EDIT : remember to treat your reader with the care due to the fact it has a thin screen of glass and you should be OK. The reader itself is not designed to be dropped at all. The majority of covers available at the moment are designed to offer excellent protection for a reader put in a bag or rucksack and "we will help if we can" protection for a reader falling from a desk onto a hard floor.

Last edited by DanielCoffey; 07-21-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #21
TDF
Enthusiast
TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TDF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Sony PRS-505 (mostly RIP)
Great. I'm definitely not planning on dropping it, just being a bit paranoid. Thanks for the informative reply. :-)
TDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #22
HappyOne
HappyOne began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I just took some pictures of mine and was getting ready to post them when I read this post

Oh well. I will share them plus one that shows it folded over and my Verilux light attached.

It is a wonderfully cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	readerfront.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	32889   Click image for larger version

Name:	readeropen.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	32890   Click image for larger version

Name:	folded.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	670.4 KB
ID:	32891  
HappyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #23
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur

That is a good shot of the Saddle colour too - much truer to the actual colour. My shots were over-exposed.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #24
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyOne View Post
I just took some pictures of mine and was getting ready to post them when I read this post

Oh well. I will share them plus one that shows it folded over and my Verilux light attached.

OMG. That is seriously gorgeous. Thanks for posting your pics, since DanielCoffey says they are truer to color than his were. I may just have to reconsider & buy that thing!!!!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #25
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Really, really beautiful. Still too pricey for me right now.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #26
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I've posted pictuers of the Avenue of Trees cover I received. Just so everyone can see yet another beautiful cover by Oberon.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=oberon
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:09 AM   #27
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoto View Post
Really, really beautiful. Still too pricey for me right now.
I very much understand. I hadn't really been thinking about a new cover for my 505 until I happened upon this thread and saw the pics and the great initial impressions and of course *now* I want one!

I have the blue 505 (seems like that's taboo around here or something hehe.) It came with the also blue cheapo cover which has worked fine so far, particularly because I'm pretty careful, but now that I've had it for a little over a year with some fairly heavy use the cover has gotten pretty soft. It keeps it from getting scratched, but I wouldn't trust it to keep something from damaging the screen and that has me nervous.

So... I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though I should NOT be spending the money right now, I'm very strongly considering one of these beautiful covers. I've seen Oberon Design leather works for many years and always admired them, but this is the first time it feels appropriate for me to get one of their covers.

If I just can't help myself and order one I'll be sure to post pics.

p.s. - I'm thinking I could make it a double order by getting a Sony Reader cover for myself and a journal for my wife. Makes it all somehow more justifiable.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #28
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur

I have been informed by my ISP that there will be a scheduled downtime of 36 hours while they migrate my web server to new hardware. This will mean the pictures I posted may not be visible for a short while. They will be restored as fast as possible.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #29
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
I have been informed by my ISP that there will be a scheduled downtime of 36 hours while they migrate my web server to new hardware. This will mean the pictures I posted may not be visible for a short while. They will be restored as fast as possible.
That's ok. I think I've drooled enough for tonight thank you.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:14 AM   #30
genegenie
genegenie has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyOne;

Waiting impatiently for mine! - Can I ask where you got the skin for your reader?
genegenie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, cover, leather, oberon