Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-10-2022, 07:15 PM   #1
monophoto
Connoisseur
monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Fire HD8 (2020)
Calibre, Overdrive, EPUB and Public Libraries

Since I purchased my Kindle two years ago, I have read several hundred books checked out from our public library in Kindle format

I've noticed that there are some books in the public library's collection that exist only in EPUB format.

So the fact that Amazon has announced that they are shifting away from MOBI and toward EPUB begs the question - can anyone speculate about whether Amazon will implement a means to download EPUB books from Public Libraries via schemes such as OverDrive?

Or a related question - is it possible to download the EPUB version from OverDrive/Public Libraries into Calibre, do some kind of conversion, and then export it to Kindle? If so, please explain how (in plain English for those of us who are digitheads and familiar with how Calibre and formats work).

Thanks
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:18 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by monophoto View Post
Since I purchased my Kindle two years ago, I have read several hundred books checked out from our public library in Kindle format

I've noticed that there are some books in the public library's collection that exist only in EPUB format.

So the fact that Amazon has announced that they are shifting away from MOBI and toward EPUB begs the question - can anyone speculate about whether Amazon will implement a means to download EPUB books from Public Libraries via schemes such as OverDrive?

Or a related question - is it possible to download the EPUB version from OverDrive/Public Libraries into Calibre, do some kind of conversion, and then export it to Kindle? If so, please explain how (in plain English for those of us who are digitheads and familiar with how Calibre and formats work).

Thanks
The ePub you get from Overdrive will never work on a Kindle as they have DRM.

Amazon is not moving to ePub. They are only changing the source format for emailing to Amazon to convert to KF8 or Mobi (if your Kindle is old enough) so you can sync with your devices/apps.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert