Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Is there likely to be a new iPad coming out anytime soon?

I want to upgrade my iPad 2 to a newer model with much more memory, but I don't want to do it and then find an even newer one came out right afterward. I'm guessing someone here keeps up on Apple news better than I do. Should I wait a bit?
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
There's always a new ipad coming out soon.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 06-08-2013 at 11:17 AM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Apple seems to have changed from their old scheme of releasing a new iPad in February and a new iPhone in September. It looks like they consolidated the releases to September, so expect a new iPhone, a new full size iPad, and a new iPad Mini in September, or there about.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I was under the impression that Apple was trying to move away from predictable release dates to try to avoid current trend of everyone holding off buying for two or three months before the expected new release.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I want to upgrade my iPad 2 to a newer model with much more memory, but I don't want to do it and then find an even newer one came out right afterward. I'm guessing someone here keeps up on Apple news better than I do. Should I wait a bit?
It's unlikely new ipads will be announced before the Fall. That's what was inferred from Cook's earnings talk.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I was under the impression that Apple was trying to move away from predictable release dates to try to avoid current trend of everyone holding off buying for two or three months before the expected new release.
A better way to avoid the trend of everyone waiting would be to release new ones less often. People wait because there always seems to be a new one just about to come out.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Indeed. We are probably not more than 4 or 5 months away from a refresh and the new gen will definitely be worth waiting for as the mini will probably have a retina screen (as it always should have) and the regular ipad will probably see a significant reduction in size and weight.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It's unlikely new ipads will be announced before the Fall. That's what was inferred from Cook's earnings talk.
I concur.

What I have read is that this next announcement at WWDC will only speak of tweaks for iPhone and iPad. And still no retina screen for the iPad Mini.
There will be a lot of projections for Apple iRadio and maybe Apple iTV.
Possibly also something about the iStores taking in old iPhones for replacment.

The old iPhones will be sent out, for resale, to 50 countries in the hinterlands, so as to encourage the US buyers to get the latest and greatest models.

Up until now this has been handled by 3rd parties, and there has been leakage back to the US market.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm waiting for a mini iPad with retina screen, or a much lighter iPad 5. As much as I would love not to wait none of the devices currently around fit my needs so I'm trying desperately to sit on my hands. I'd rather not have to wait another 6 months but I will if I have to.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've been waiting for a mini with retina... but reality says they may never do it. I was planning to buy in September if it seems that it may be likely, but if not, new plan required.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I've been waiting for a mini with retina... but reality says they may never do it. I was planning to buy in September if it seems that it may be likely, but if not, new plan required.
Apple has a history of very small increments so that their customers keep upgrading fairly often just a little at a time.

Something a lot of people want will not come until there is a sales slowdown and Apple needs to reinvigorate their customers.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
They'll probably do it but it might not be with the second iteration. Biggest concern here is battery life. It's going to be difficult to beef up the battery while maintaining form factor and weight and they need to beef up battery if they upgrade to retina.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
They'll probably do it but it might not be with the second iteration. Biggest concern here is battery life. It's going to be difficult to beef up the battery while maintaining form factor and weight and they need to beef up battery if they upgrade to retina.
Indeed. Well, no announcements about it in the keynote, which we expected, and I've decided to make do with my iPad3 for now, and wait. Looking forward to the iOS7 improvements. First time I have actually been excited about a new iOS.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I dunno about that. I think the predictable yearly refresh made sense. It's a long enough period of time (compared to 3-6 months for other manufacturers) and people know when to expect new products so it's easier to gauge whether it's a good time for them to buy or if it's better to wait. Having this bit of slowdown would also enable them to slow down production of older models and ramp up production on the new ones.

However, I do think moving the refresh to Q3/Q4 makes sense since it coincides with holiday shopping. The February-April release of the iPad is just annoying for Christmas gifting since in just 3 months or so after you've given/received your gift, there'd already be a new iPad available.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote