Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-23-2022, 05:23 PM   #1
A Lurker
Connoisseur
A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
author sort for side-loaded epubs (Kindle)

I've been side-loading epubs onto my Kindle every since Amazon made the format compatible. Initially I had zero problems. However, a few months ago two problems popped up simultaneously.

The first problem is that newly side-loaded epubs are missing their covers. I see this issue has already been addressed on this forum, so I won't rehash it (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329945).

However, I've not seen any threads on my second problem (which started at the same time as the missing covers). Namely, newly side-loaded epubs are sorting by the author's first name, rather than last.

I know this was always an issue with side-loaded mobi files (which can be easily fixed by changing the Calibre output preference "user author sort for author").

If side-loaded epubs had been doing this since the beginning, I wouldn't have thought much of it, seeing as consistent with the mobi flaw. However, the first several hundred epubs I sided-loaded over the course of a couple months all properly sort by last name. It's only the newer side-loaded epubs that are sorting by first name. Which suggest something was changed on the backend at Amazon (at the same time as the change that resulted in missing covers).

I've found a work around. In Calibre I use LAST NAME, FIRST NAME in both the "author" field and the "author sort" field. That fixes the problem so that my side-loaded epubs sort by last name. Nevertheless, I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this problem or might know what's causing it?
A Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:10 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a very very very simple solution. Run Calibre with your library loaded. Plug your Kindle into the USB port and transfer the eBooks to your Kindle. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:49 PM   #3
A Lurker
Connoisseur
A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a very very very simple solution. Run Calibre with your library loaded. Plug your Kindle into the USB port and transfer the eBooks to your Kindle. Problem solved.
As I explained, I already solved the problem / found a work-around. I didn't posting looking for a solution. I asked if anyone else has experienced this problem or might know what's causing it?
Old 09-24-2022, 05:15 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lurker View Post
As I explained, I already solved the problem / found a work-around. I didn't posting looking for a solution. I asked if anyone else has experienced this problem or might know what's causing it?
I was giving a solution that will work without a work around and this will always work.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #5
A Lurker
Connoisseur

I just side-loaded an epub on my Kindle. The author displayed as "unknown". Odd. I converted to mobi and side-loaded that. The author was stripped again.

I don't know if there's something particular about this file's author field Amazon/my device doesn't like, or if this a new wrinkle in Amazon trying to automatically replace the metadata of side-loaded documents. I'll experiment by trying to side-load additional books later today.

I assume I'll be able to solve this hardwiring my device to my PC and syncing it with my Calibre library, but it's still annoying. Has any one seen this bug?
Old 09-26-2022, 10:35 AM   #6
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lurker View Post
I just side-loaded an epub on my Kindle. The author displayed as "unknown". Odd. I converted to mobi and side-loaded that. The author was stripped again.

I don't know if there's something particular about this file's author field Amazon/my device doesn't like, or if this a new wrinkle in Amazon trying to automatically replace the metadata of side-loaded documents. I'll experiment by trying to side-load additional books later today.

I assume I'll be able to solve this hardwiring my device to my PC and syncing it with my Calibre library, but it's still annoying. Has any one seen this bug?
It's a bug in the Amazon conversion process that seems to have been introduced around September 21, 2022. Further discussion is near the end of this older thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=333506
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:43 PM   #7
A Lurker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
It's a bug in the Amazon conversion process that seems to have been introduced around September 21, 2022. Further discussion is near the end of this older thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=333506
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check out this thread.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:56 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This thread needs to clarified that this is not side loaded as in using Calibre. This is emailing to Amazon to download to your Kindle.