Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-14-2022, 11:24 AM   #1
Zanfire
Zanfire began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 [2012]
Calibre reset metadata.calibre when device is plugged

Good morning everyone,
Whenever I connect my Kobo Aura One to Calibre, Calibre resets the metadata.calibre file by modifying it so that it always contains only 3 "books" (Plato, kfmon, koreader, that are JPG/PNG in truth), even after I have just loaded my books from the PC and have updated the metadata; I just need to eject and reconnect the device for metadata.calibre to be reset. The actual physical library is not touched, the book files remain where they are in perfect condition: only metadata.calibre is affected by this strangeness. I use KOReader as a reader, but the latter does not seem to cause problems: this strange phenomenon happens only to the plugin with the caliber running (tested various times). Certainly I am doing something wrong, but I could not find a solution by searching the net or working on the Caliber configuration menus.

Thanks to anyone who can give me some tips to fix it.
I use Calibre 6.4.0
Zanfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:54 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What driver are you using?

What location is it set to store books on your device?

In the kobo.conf file what value is assigned to ExcludeSyncFolders?

Do you ever see a screen on the Kobo showing it's importing new content?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:37 AM   #3
Zanfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What driver are you using?
I think Kobo Reader Device Interface (2.5.1) and KoboTouch (2.5.1) are used to communicate with AuraOne. Both seems up to date and working fine in Calibre's Plugin list.

Quote:
What location is it set to store books on your device?
Files are stored in a root folder named \Biblioteca\ on the device. metadata.calibre is stored in root.

Quote:
In the kobo.conf file what value is assigned to ExcludeSyncFolders?
I can only find "Kobo eReader.conf" in my Kobo Reader; the value you asked for is "ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*?".

But I hardly ever use Kobo's native interface and its reader software, since I manage everything through KOReader, including activating the device's USB connection. In fact I did some tests to see if it was KOReader or Kobo's original software that created problems, but the reset happens only when Caliber is running on my PC and I connect the reader, regardless of whether KOReader or the original Kobo reader is active on the device; in no other case is the metadata.calibre file modified.

Quote:
Do you ever see a screen on the Kobo showing it's importing new content?
No, because I practically never go through the native interface of KoboReader as mentioned above.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well if you never see a message that nickel is importing content, then the device view within calibre is NOT being populated since it is build from the database on the device which in turn means the calibre.metadata file will not be populated.

Old 09-15-2022, 11:14 AM   #5
Zanfire

Quote:
Well if you never see a message that nickel is importing content, then the device view within calibre is NOT being populated since it is build from the database on the device which in turn means the calibre.metadata file will not be populated.

No. metadata.calibre is correctly updated when I copy my books from the PC library to the device library. metadata.calibre increases in size and correctly contains the complete list of books loaded on the device (checked with an editor). If I close KOReader and make an USB connection with the original Kobo interface, it import the books correctly. Everything works perfectly as it should.

But when I connect the device again via USB with Caliber running on the PC, metadata.calibre is modified and the list of books it contains deleted. If I copy all the books again, metadata.calibre is correctly updated again, but if I disconnect and reconnect the device, it is emptied again. And so on. Forever. Without mercy.

It is not a particularly serious problem, since I do not copy my books from the PC to the Device that often, and also it does not compromise the reading on the Device, which physically contains all the books anyway, and I can access them anyway through KOReader, but it seems to me a very strange behavior and I don't think it should work like this, since every time I connect the device with Caliber running, I don't see my Library on the device even if they are there till I copy everything again.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:37 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

As I said, the calibre LIBRARY view is populated from the database. I believe that if you SEND content, that before you disconnect the device, the Library view WILL show the new content and on disconnect UPDATE the metadata on the device to add in the new material. However, if on disconnect, Nickel does NOT process / import the new content, then on the next connect to calibre, the Library view will NOT show the content, and on disconnect the metadata will no longer incklude the books that were previously added.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:40 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Please see this thread and the posts by the late davidfor. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347501