Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #1
Artemide
Enthusiast
Artemide began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Pocketbook Basic Lux 3
Kobo Libra 2 - How to choose destination folder on device

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but with search I haven't found the answer, forum or google.
I've connected Kobo to my pc as an external device, copied my library folder, all works fine.
After that, I've installed Calibre and I've linked it successfully to my Library folder on pc. Download various Kobo plugins for conversion and other operations, all works well, device is recognized. When I send an epub, it results on the root of device, and not on my folder, but I'm not able to set the path as for Calibre Library.
Is there a way to do it?

Second question: I would like to add a column with format of book, but operation succeeds only on Calibre library, not for the Kobo (I don't see how to add the column).

Thank you for your patience.
Artemide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 03:57 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Are you using Send to device or Send to folder?

The template for each controls where an what name.
With the device connected: right click the send to... icon:configure
I use a series folder scheme, just to keep the root small
Code:
{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}-{authors}
Not sure why you need to keep formats on the device separate since the bookshelf does not offer folder access.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:50 PM   #3
Artemide
Enthusiast

Hi theducks, I've not Send to Folder, just Send to device shortcut. I've tried to set the desired folder with this menu:
https://i.postimg.cc/SRzVKThW/kobo-e...d-settings.png

Sorry, my english is poor, so I put some screenshots in order to make you understand my requests.
I need to see the book extension because I'm making various conversion tests in order to find the best configuration for read ebooks, according to my preferences.

https://i.postimg.cc/NMZSbrGk/Calibre-Library.png
https://i.postimg.cc/rm4QVZc5/Kobo-Library.png
Old 08-28-2022, 05:11 PM   #4
Artemide
Enthusiast

Edit: finally I can send books on desired folder, after following your suggestion. Now my template is: /LIBRI/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
Old 08-28-2022, 05:35 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Are you using Send to device or Send to folder?

The template for each controls where an what name.
With the device connected: right click the send to... icon:configure
I use a series folder scheme, just to keep the root small
Code:
{series}/{series_index:0>2s}-{title}-{authors}
Not sure why you need to keep formats on the device separate since the bookshelf does not offer folder access.
But if you are not using KOReader or Pluto and are just using the ePub or KePub readers with the Kobo firmware, you do not need these directories. I have all of my eBooks onboard in a directory named books. The Kobo firmware handles series very well and you don't need to separate eBooks based on series or author or anything else other then to not have them all in the root directory.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:52 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is what I use...

Code:
books/{author} - {series}{series_index:0>2.1f| | - } {Title}
It means I won't have all these leftover directories I don't need.= or want.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-28-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:56 PM   #7
Artemide
Enthusiast

Thanks all for replies.
Major problem for me is solved.
Format column is still missing from Device library form, can't find how to add it.
Now I call converted books as "title2" in order to distinguish it from epub version.
If I can suggest, maybe the thread could be marked as solved

Last edited by Artemide; 08-28-2022 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:23 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You can't change the columns in Device View

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:26 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemide View Post
Thanks all for replies.
Major problem for me is solved.
Format column is still missing from Device library form, can't find how to add it.
Now I call converted books as "title2" in order to distinguish it from epub version.
If I can suggest, maybe the thread could be marked as solved
Are you saying you have multiple formats of the same eBook on your Libra 2?

What you can do is create a custom Y/N column. In the KoboTouchExtended drvier, you

Under the Extended tab there is a checkbox for Use template for kepubification. Check that. The code posted below is what I put in the template editor. I have my column named kepub. If it's yes in the column, the ePub will be converted to KePub. If not, it will be sent as ePub. If you read mostly KePub, you could call the column epub and change the column name in the code. This would alo show you what format the eBook is in on your Kobo. You would just have to search for Y in the column to see what's ePub and not Y for what's not ePub. Also, if you use the Reading List plugin, you can have a Y/N column for what's on your Libra 2. So you could make the search for just what you have on your Libra 2.

Code:
program: 
	$#kepub == 'yes'
Old 08-29-2022, 12:50 PM   #10
Artemide
Enthusiast

Yes, I'm creating more versions of the same book, for two reasons:
1) I'd like to create a template of best conversion settings, in order to have not crap switching from epub or kepub and characters size. Probably the best thing will be to install patched firmware. But for now I'm very happy for the ereader, it works like a charm
2) I wanna learn to use Calibre, so for me it's funny make tests and experiments
Old 08-29-2022, 02:34 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, I'm creating more versions of the same book, for two reasons:
1) I'd like to create a template of best conversion settings, in order to have not crap switching from epub or kepub and characters size. Probably the best thing will be to install patched firmware. But for now I'm very happy for the ereader, it works like a charm
2) I wanna learn to use Calibre, so for me it's funny make tests and experiments
So once you have the "best settings", are you going to stop making ePub & KePub and just use one format? Which format do you prefer to read?
Old 08-29-2022, 04:39 PM   #12
Artemide
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So once you have the "best settings", are you going to stop making ePub & KePub and just use one format? Which format do you prefer to read?
I can't decide now, this is my first ereader and I got it just 4 days ago.
Reading other opinions, it appears that kepub should work better with Kobo, so I want to try both formats for a while and decide later.
Old 08-29-2022, 05:12 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

Reading other opinions, it appears that kepub should work better with Kobo, so I want to try both formats for a while and decide later.
Some things are better in Epub, others in kepub.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:58 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I can't decide now, this is my first ereader and I got it just 4 days ago.
When you read that KePub is better, that's not always the case. Things have changed. ePub is now faster at page turns then it was. Highlighting is much easier. The only reasons to use KePub vs ePub is if you may want to zoom in on images and if you have footnotes. Otherwise, it's just what you prefer.