Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-31-2022, 09:11 AM   #1
odabaz
odabaz began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey
Unhappy Calibre EPUB throwing exception on Cybook Odyssey

Hello,

I have a Cybook Odyssey device, tweaked by a library here in brazil (mainly translations and settings to connect to their book repository) and branded as Saraiva Lev

I was trying to convert an html page from web,

https://engsoftmoderna.info/cap0.html

to an EPUB using calibre. I downloaded the whole pdf page (including images) to my computer and used calibre's "Convert books" feature, to make a conversion to epub.

The output epub file runs fine on my computer: the images are present and well positioned, text reflow, page breaks, etc. The problem starts when I try to open the epub file on my odyssey device. It tries for a while to render the file and crashes.

I checked for some other epub files I have, and they seem to have the same structure with html files.

Is there something I'm missing?
odabaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:06 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
HTML on Web pages is not PDF, so your description is a bit confusing in what you are really converting.

Next, Web pages are a SUPER SET of what is used for EPUB. Lots of things are not supported in EPUB (and many devices fail to fail gracefully )

Last: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118605
PDF is a terrible source to convert from. many devices use Adobe RMSDK. That can handle PDF natively (the image may not be large or moveable on small screens. But it shows up)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:47 AM   #3
odabaz

Talking

hahahah. The description indeed was a bit confusing, sorry.

I meant I downloaded the whole html page.

The thing is that I just imported the html pages on Sigil and things worked.

While trying to import the html pages on sigil, an error popped caused by some commentaries present on the html source. After removing them, the epub compiled normally.

I'll further test if this source without commentaries would normally compile on calibre as well. If so, I may have found a silent bug and will issue a bug report.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:46 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You might be running into a size limit on the Epub. How large are the files within the Epub?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:33 PM   #5
odabaz

No I'm not Peter. The original html source + files are 4.5Mb in size. It is something with this code commentaries that both sigil and calibre cant handle.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:40 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odabaz View Post
No I'm not Peter. The original html source + files are 4.5Mb in size. It is something with this code commentaries that both sigil and calibre cant handle.
It could be the script. I suggest you remove it and try again in Sigil or Calibre.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote