Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Accidental Damage Plan?

I'm wondering whether it's worth it to buy the Accidental Damage Plan. I read that they needed to reinforce the back, and I'd like to know whether it seems pretty sturdy to those who have handled it.

Just curious...did you? Will you?
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I don't belive in accidental damage plans. They seem to be pretty slanted in favor of the vender. Besides, by the time I break it I figure a newer better one will be out and if it gets fixed for free I'll have no justification for upgrading!
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #3
Crono
Crono began at the beginning.

Hi Michele,

I purchased the 2-year one when I bought it at the Sony Store. I figured it was worth it since it covered accidental drops as well. Being a portable device that will see alot of use and travel, there is a chance a drop could happen. If it didn't cover accidental drops wouldn't have bought it. The way I see it, the plan costs $44, if you do happen to drop your Reader and get it replaced, the plan just paid for itself more than 7 times over.
Crono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono
Hi Michele,

I purchased the 2-year one when I bought it at the Sony Store. I figured it was worth it since it covered accidental drops as well. Being a portable device that will see alot of use and travel, there is a chance a drop could happen. If it didn't cover accidental drops wouldn't have bought it. The way I see it, the plan costs $44, if you do happen to drop your Reader and get it replaced, the plan just paid for itself more than 7 times over.
I got the same 2-year ADH for essentially the same reason. As I will most likely be carrying it on hand or in a backpack, the chances for serious accidental damage are high IMO (especially since the Reader doesn't come with a hard or metal flip case). The unit does feel fairly solid though and the sides have a 'leading edge' of metal which makes it easier to grip.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
Was wondering about this too myself. The in-store sales monkeys said that they'd already dropped one and broken it, so that was giving me pause for thought. But then again they offered other choice comments like "The 20 gig hard-drive in this unit is great!" and "You can't rotate the screen on this model." So who knows . . .

Last edited by Otter; 10-01-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
"The 20 gig hard-drive in this unit is great!"
Indeed, a 20 gig hdd would be great

E Ink displays seem to be sensitive and also have a high fall-out rate. A poor iLiad fellow had his screen suddenly turn permanently black after only two weeks of usage. According to him, iRex does not replace or repair bad screens under any sort of warranty, and they ask now for 260 Euro to replace his.

So I think this Plan could make sense only if the screen is covered as well.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow

E Ink displays seem to be sensitive and also have a high fall-out rate. A poor iLiad fellow had his screen suddenly turn permanently black after only two weeks of usage. According to him, iRex does not replace or repair bad screens under any sort of warranty, and they ask now for 260 Euro to replace his.

So I think this Plan could make sense only if the screen is covered as well.

Looking at the Limited Warranty that comes with the Reader, I would presume (since it does not spell it out) that the 1-Yr. parts warranty covers the screen, as the screen is one (and I would say the main) component of the Reader. If the iLiad screen you mentioned was due to a defect, I think that is total BS on iRex's part.

Under the terms where it spells out the terms of Accidental Damage due to Handling (there is a whole bunch of other stuff in the document along with the ADH terms), it says that it "only covers operational or mechnical failure from handling". No coverage for "normal wear and tear", among other things, though. Those two quotes sort of confuse me unfortunately. Guess we really won't know unless someone has bad luck or contacts a Sony rep?
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #8
Gantrioch
Gantrioch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader System, 27 October 2006.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremegene
Looking at the Limited Warranty that comes with the Reader, I would presume (since it does not spell it out) that the 1-Yr. parts warranty covers the screen, as the screen is one (and I would say the main) component of the Reader. If the iLiad screen you mentioned was due to a defect, I think that is total BS on iRex's part.

Under the terms where it spells out the terms of Accidental Damage due to Handling (there is a whole bunch of other stuff in the document along with the ADH terms), it says that it "only covers operational or mechnical failure from handling". No coverage for "normal wear and tear", among other things, though. Those two quotes sort of confuse me unfortunately. Guess we really won't know unless someone has bad luck or contacts a Sony rep?
Yes, as much as people like to make fun of Sony, their warranties cover all parts and labor for whatever the period of time stated.

A little story - My mainboard on my VAIO Pocket fritzed while still in warranty. Sony Electronics, San Diego shipped me a postage-paid box, I mailed my unit to them, they replaced, upgraded the firmware so I wouldn't have to again, and tested the mainboard in San Diego, and shipped it back to me in three days. I was very impressed. Quick and easy.
Gantrioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:26 PM   #9
gbdesai
gbdesai began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I don't remember seeing the option to buy such a plan online, was it there and I missed it? Any way to get one after the order has already been placed?
gbdesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #10
Crono
Crono began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbdesai
I don't remember seeing the option to buy such a plan online, was it there and I missed it? Any way to get one after the order has already been placed?
I was looking for this when I placed my online order but did not see it either. I would call customer service and inquire.
Crono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I would also like to know if someone discovers how the on-line purchasers can get that warranty!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #12
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I called the guy back at the b&m Sony store and asked if I could still get the warranty. He said he could do it for me via fax again, but when I asked if I could get it online, he said you can't. My impression is that the warranty pays the salesman for his customer service somehow.

Maybe if you called a store they could arrange it for you.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele
I read that they needed to reinforce the back, and I'd like to know whether it seems pretty sturdy to those who have handled it.
I remember the guy making that comment too. My impression was that they were re-inforcing the display backplane ... but I didn't write it down.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #14
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I would also like to know if someone discovers how the on-line purchasers can get that warranty!
According to Sony's site : "If you purchased your new portable electronics product within the last 60 days and did not purchase a Service Plan, call us today at 877-865-SONY to learn about your options."

HTH
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #15
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Excellent. Thanks Otter!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote