Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Thanks Carol for the information. I will try this when I get home later. By the way, just curious, are you synching via Kindle for PC or the Kindle itself? That wasn't clear and secondly, how does the synch happen? Turn the wireless on my Kindle - my Iphone is always on so not sure how the two synch?

Again, thanks for the quick response. I will be EXTREMELY happy if I can make this work since only 40% of my books actually come from Amazon. The other 60% have procured thru other sites or were free. I will let everyone know how this works out.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Thanks Carol for the information. I will try this when I get home later. By the way, just curious, are you synching via Kindle for PC or the Kindle itself? That wasn't clear and secondly, how does the synch happen? Turn the wireless on my Kindle - my Iphone is always on so not sure how the two synch?

Again, thanks for the quick response. I will be EXTREMELY happy if I can make this work since only 40% of my books actually come from Amazon. The other 60% have procured thru other sites or were free. I will let everyone know how this works out.
I sync via Kindle itself. Yes you have to turn on the wireless for it to sync. I don't leave my wireless on all the time. What I usually do is turn it on for a few minutes at the end of my reading so it will sync.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I'll try to explain how I did it. I installed iPhone Explorer. It would only work on my 32 bit computer. I couldn't get it to work on my 64 bit computer.

Connect your iphone via USB and open iPhone Explorer.

Expand the Apps folder.

Look for the folder "com.amazon.lassen" and expand that.

Under that folder, go to "Library\eBooks and expand that.

Then drag and drop your ebooks into the eBook folder

Hope this helps you.

Here is a link to another thread that talks about it also:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121487

Carol
Ok, so went the other thread and found the note about unclicking the jailbreak box. Did that and was able to expand the folders. Loaded the book into the eBook folder per the instructions. When I turned on the iPhone, book was there - YEAH!

Here's the problem or rather the error message I got:

Please remove the book from your device and redownload it from your archived items. If the problem persists, try to deregister your application and register it again.

I hit ok, and came out of the app - any thoughts. All my books are in mobi format. Thanks to all for any help.

Last edited by chilady1; 03-01-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #19
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok, so went the other thread and found the note about unclicking the jailbreak box. Did that and was able to expand the folders. Loaded the book into the eBook folder per the instructions. When I turned on the iPhone, book was there - YEAH!

Please remove the book from your device and redownload it from your archived items. If the problem persists, try to deregister your application and register it again.

I hit ok, and came out of the app - any thoughts. All my books are in mobi format. Thanks to all for any help.
I don't know. A thought though. I converted my books with Calibre. If I remember right, they had a recent update that would allow for syncing. I did reconvert all my books to mobi again. Maybe try deleting the book from your iphone. Then reconvert the book in the latest version of Calibre and then try again. Good luck.

Another thing I did when I installed iPhone Explorer. On the install file, I right click and checked off to run as Administrator and to run in Win XP Compatiblity. I did this in 2 spots. Had to click advanced to get to the 2nd one that was for all users.

Carol
Old 03-02-2011, 03:26 AM   #20
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
AFAIK, the latest version of Calibre adds an ASIN to a converted book if it is not already there. If you use that output file on both devices, it will sync fine.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:

Your books may all be mobi, but the one you're trying sounds like it's DRM'ed to a specific device. This method won't "get around" any of the standard DRM issues.

Are you perhaps testing with a file from your Kindle (an Amazon purchase) and trying to manually move it to your iPhone? If so, that won't work (and it's unnecessary since that content will sync already).

No, to sync non-Amazon content across devices/apps, that content must - first and foremost - already be readable on all of the devices/apps. Which basically implies that the content needs to be DRM free.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #22
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
AFAIK, the latest version of Calibre adds an ASIN to a converted book if it is not already there. If you use that output file on both devices, it will sync fine.
So just run it (non-Amazon, DRM free/stripped book) through the latest version of Calibre and load to both the Kindle and any other device I want to sync with. I'll do another test of this from scratch and hopefully it'll allow syncing between devices with no extra fuss.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #23
chilady1
I devour books!

First, thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Will try them later on this evening.

@DiapDealer - good suggestion however, I do know with 100% certainty that the book I am trying to sideload via iPhone Explorer or iPhone Folders is DRM free. My entire collection is DRM free as this is one of the first things I do to all books regardless of where I purchase them.

I do think you and Carol have a good suggestion in trying to re-convert the file in the latest version of Calibre (which I have) and trying to load it again. Most of my library was done prior to the latest version which now has synch ability as part of its functionality.

QUESTION: Do I just highlight the book I want to re-convert in Calibre and hit convert? I guess what i am asking is will the conversion process just override the last mobi version in Calibre or do I need add the book again (in mobi) and then re-convert.

Finally, once I have re-converted the book, should I add it again to my Kindle and the iPhone simultaneously since this is a new version of the book?

I feel very close so that is good news, especially with all the very smart people on this forum. I am positive this is going to work.

Last edited by chilady1; 03-02-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
QUESTION: Do I just highlight the book I want to re-convert in Calibre and hit convert? I guess what i am asking is will the conversion process just override the last mobi version in Calibre or do I need add the book again (in mobi) and then re-convert.
Just highlight and convert (mobi -> mobi) no need to delete and re-import. It will overwrite the mobi that is currently in your Calibre library.

Quote:
Finally, once I have re-converted the book, should I add it again to my Kindle and the iPhone simultaneously since this is a new version of the book?
Yes, it should be the same file loaded on any of the devices you wish to read the ebook on.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #25
chilady1
I devour books!

Thanks Diap - I will try later after work and report back.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #26
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Yes it will just overwrite. I just reconverted my entire library. That way I didn't have to remember which one I did and which one wasn't reconverted.

Quote:
I see DD has already answered this one for you.

Good luck. Let us know how you work out. I'm still waiting to hear back again from iPhone Explorer on the 64 bit issue. It's supposed to work with 64 bit according to their website.

Carol
Old 03-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #27
chilady1
I devour books!

Carol - I agree that once this first "test" book works then I will re-convert the entire library over a weekend so like you, I don't have to remember which books were converted in the latest version of Calibre vs. those that weren't.

Right now, I am going to focus on getting the first one done and the rest will fall by the wayside. I believe the problem is that I didn't load the "re-converted" mobi file onto my Kindle so it doesn't have the new necessary metadata to fool it into thinking it is a "Amazon" book. I feel strongly that is the problem.

Again, thanks to you and DiapDealer's guidance and patience as I asked 20,000 questions on this process. I promise to come back and report my findings. Wish me luck!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #28
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Carol - I agree that once this first "test" book works then I will re-convert the entire library over a weekend so like you, I don't have to remember which books were converted in the latest version of Calibre vs. those that weren't.

Right now, I am going to focus on getting the first one done and the rest will fall by the wayside. I believe the problem is that I didn't load the "re-converted" mobi file onto my Kindle so it doesn't have the new necessary metadata to fool it into thinking it is a "Amazon" book. I feel strongly that is the problem.

Again, thanks to you and DiapDealer's guidance and patience as I asked 20,000 questions on this process. I promise to come back and report my findings. Wish me luck!
Did you use iPhone Folders or iPhone Explorer.

Right now I am having trouble with iPhone Explorer even on my 32 bit Netbook.

Carol
Old 03-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #29
chilady1
I devour books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Did you use iPhone Folders or iPhone Explorer.

Right now I am having trouble with iPhone Explorer even on my 32 bit Netbook.

Carol
I am finding iPhone folders somewhat easier to work with than the iPhone explorer program. I did see your note that iPhone Explorer only works on 32 bit and that was fine. It just seemed buggy (I know that's not a word) and I saw other comments that indicated that it was somewhat hit or miss.

iPhone Folders seem to open with no issue. So that's what I use.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #30
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
I am finding iPhone folders somewhat easier to work with than the iPhone explorer program. I did see your note that iPhone Explorer only works on 32 bit and that was fine. It just seemed buggy (I know that's not a word) and I saw other comments that indicated that it was somewhat hit or miss.

iPhone Folders seem to open with no issue. So that's what I use.
I just installed iPhone Folders on my Netbook. Can't find the folder with the apps. The Application Archive folder is empty.

Carol