Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #1696
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@Rachel - I don't understand the question.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #1697
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
I'll try and explain, though i am limited in my technical understanding of how things work.

I keep my Calibre library in my Dropbox account. I find it preferable to access it using a Calibre2opds catalog published to my public folder. I am mindful of the dire warnings about this, but I have never shared the link. I prefer using calibre2opds to direct accesss to my books in Dropbox as I have a large library. In the catalog my books are indexed by author, tags, series, recent additions , making it ideal to browse, whereas I can only scroll through an alphabetical list of authors in Dropbox.

Because Sugarsync offered more free space, i tried moving my library, including the catalog, to Sugarsync, but found I couldnot accesss itfrom my reader (Stanza at that time). There was quite a bit of discussion here about the relative merits of Dropbox, Sugarsync and Box. The thread linked below included discussion of use of Calibre2opds. Dpierron and Itimpi give some explanation of why some cloud storage works and other don't. I am afraid I don't understand those explanations and so am unable to assess for myself whether placing my library and Calibre2opds catalog in a Copy.com account will enable me to access books via my Calibre2opds catalog.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=sugarsync
Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #1698
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Copy has options to share a file or folder either publicly (by URL) or privately (by verification), but I don't know if that info helps or not.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #1699
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I'll try and explain, though i am limited in my technical understanding of how things work.

I keep my Calibre library in my Dropbox account. I find it preferable to access it using a Calibre2opds catalog published to my public folder. I am mindful of the dire warnings about this, but I have never shared the link. I prefer using calibre2opds to direct accesss to my books in Dropbox as I have a large library. In the catalog my books are indexed by author, tags, series, recent additions , making it ideal to browse, whereas I can only scroll through an alphabetical list of authors in Dropbox.

Because Sugarsync offered more free space, i tried moving my library, including the catalog, to Sugarsync, but found I couldnot accesss itfrom my reader (Stanza at that time). There was quite a bit of discussion here about the relative merits of Dropbox, Sugarsync and Box. The thread linked below included discussion of use of Calibre2opds. Dpierron and Itimpi give some explanation of why some cloud storage works and other don't. I am afraid I don't understand those explanations and so am unable to assess for myself whether placing my library and Calibre2opds catalog in a Copy.com account will enable me to access books via my Calibre2opds catalog.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=sugarsync
I think the short answer is ...maybe. Why dont you try it and let us all know if it works.

I didnt go down the calibre2opds path simply because it has to be updated every time you add another book (or 6, or whatever) whereas saving your actual calibre library and database to the folder (be in dropbox, sugarsync, box, or copy) will automatically update in calibre and auto upload to the respective site. I now access the folder and go to the author I want to read. It works, and is no more problematic than having a nice HTML UI to access.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #1700
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Sorry about the post in error. It was stupid. That's what I get for playing with ebooks at 2am.

Last edited by rheostaticsfan; 07-20-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #1701
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
I cannot find Marvin for iPhone. Is it in store or is a private beta distribution?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #1702
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
I cannot find Marvin for iPhone. Is it in store or is a private beta distribution?
It's not out yet.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #1703
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
Does Copy.box show up in Marvin like Dropbox does in the pop up box in the lower right when you tap on the cloud? I have been using Dropbox. What are the differences? Which one is better?

Will Mavin use ANY of the free cloud services to synch books or will it only work with iCloud?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #1704
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
Does Copy.box show up in Marvin like Dropbox does in the pop up box in the lower right when you tap on the cloud? I have been using Dropbox. What are the differences? Which one is better?

Will Mavin use ANY of the free cloud services to synch books or will it only work with iCloud?

Copy needs to be added as a favourite in the Web Browser. Its easy enough. What I've done is go to the copy site in the builtin browser, logged in, gone to the Calibre Library folder, and added *that* as a favourite. Instant access (depending on the speed of your connection of course).

Kris will have to answer with regard to sync. No idea, I thought it was going to be via Dropbox.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #1705
jeromecarney
jeromecarney began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Hi crashnburn. I'm not sure I'm following. In GoodReader, you select text then tap the highlight button. This is exactly the same in Marvin - select the text and tap the highlight button in the menu.
Last year I strayed into Android land for about 3 months .... and the one thing I truly miss, now that I'm back on planet iOS, is the ability to define a "default action" (highlight, define, copy) that was available in CoolReader (I think it was CoolReader — could have been Moon Reader).

Most of the time, while I've in Marvin, I'm there with a single intent in mind: it's usually to take advantage of the amazing URL scheme support which makes dictionary lookups for foreign-language books a two-step snap. But other times I'm reviewing texts for work, so I'm there to make highlights, and other times I'm there to pick up quotes for research, so I'm on the prowl for good text to copy.

So yes, the two-step snap (select text, choose action) that Marvin features is by far the loveliest implementation of the feature to be found on planet iOS ... but IMHO Marvin would pass from lovely to jaw-drop stunning if it offered one-step snap: select text and boom! you're there where you want to be. It may seem a small thing, but when you literally look up scores and scores of words each day (thank you, infinite complexities of the German language), this is the feature that makes my mind drift back continually, longingly, to Android.

Is assigning a default action for selected text a possibility for Marvin, or would implementing this feature be disallowed by iOS?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #1706
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@rfog: Right now, Marvin for iPhone is in private beta and on track for a summer release.
@kyteflyer: I'm still experimenting with sync. Not yet sure whether it will be iCloud or Dropbox based.
@jeromecarney: I'm looking at one step text selection and default actions. I'll probably have something after the iPhone release.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #1707
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
@kyteflyer: I'm still experimenting with sync. Not yet sure whether it will be iCloud or Dropbox based.
Just a thought, Dropbox syncing could make importing stuff to Calibre easier. That said, iCloud would probably be the low-hanging fruit for most folks. Since most iOS device users already have iCloud, there's no additional set-up involved.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #1708
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
@rfog: Right now, Marvin for iPhone is in private beta and on track for a summer release.
That's a great new!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #1709
kguil
Addict

@anesthezea. Have you tried the new 1.8? Start up times will be much better.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #1710
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Private beta, you say...
Closed Thread