Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
captain_amazing
captain_amazing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
Kindle For PC GUI Freezing for Win 7 64bit

Hi,

Any help on this would be awesome - I'm hoping this is the correct forum for it.

I would really like to be able to run Kindle For PC on my laptop. However, after installing every available version (from the newest to the beta version) I cannot get it to work correctly. Here is the problem:

After installing, the program launches its start-up box. After finishing its start-up, the program shows itself on my Task Bar, but does not start its interface (basically, it stays minimized). Toggling the program in the Task Bar does nothing, no matter if I to try and bring it up, maximize it, or close it, it remains unresponsive.

So, I brought up the Task Manager, and forced the program to maximize from their, which worked. But when I go to the program, it is completely unresponsive (basically, it is frozen, but Windows does not recognize it as being frozen).

I googled the problem (for several hours), and non of the issues I found seemed related to my problem. I will be very responsive to anyone that reaches out to me, because would really like to get this program working correctly.

Here is my specs:

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
6.1.7600 Build 7600
Hewlett-Packard
HP Pavilion dv3 Notebook PC
x64-based PC
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.13, 11/23/2009

I am also running Norton 360 (it was free, so don't judge! ).

I will provide any more information upon request - Thanks!!!!
captain_amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Uninstall your Kindle 4 PC and start again. Go to Norton 360 and make sure it is DISABLED before you start the install.

Then download and install Kindle 4 PC Version 1.4.1 (31629). Then go to Norton 360, re-enable it and go to program management in Norton 360. From there enable Kindle 4 PC to have full outgoing and incoming priveleges.

Then Kindle 4 PC should work fine.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
captain_amazing
captain_amazing began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
Thanks sirmaru - I will try that later today and post back.
captain_amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
koop4us
koop4us began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I echo the post by captain_amazing. I am encountering the identical problem. I too have Window 7 64bit OS. I turned off all possible antivirus features, have "run as administrator," uninstalled, registry cleaned, etc. etc., all to no avail. Any further thoughts on this problem?
koop4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In your firewall (both router and software) enable Kindle 4 PC to have full sending and receiving rights.
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
koop4us

I have tried this as well... put my computer into the routers DMZ along with turning off all software firewalls and anti-virus. Again, the program loads, however, after loading it is waiting for a user response. When ALT+Tabbing to the Kindle window heading reads... "accept terms of service." However, no screen is visible in which to actually see this screen. When pressing enter when this window (though unseen) is active it loads the default book Aesop's Fables. In other words, the program is running (listed as so in the task manager), but is not visible.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard

Video Drive upgrade may be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koop4us View Post
In other words, the program is running (listed as so in the task manager), but is not visible.
Upgrade your video driver to the latest version. Then try it again. Your symptom sounds like a video driver problem.

Get that driver direct from the video card manufacturer's site.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
koop4us

Thanks for the quick response... did that already too, straight from the Nvidia site.