Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #301
kledor
dreamer
kledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it iskledor knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrizz View Post
Thanks for sharing kledor!

Seems like much of the weight difference you talked about is in the added leather on the whole back side of the googleproduct cover.
I do like the fact that the La Poueze cover does not seem to have a cutout for the left border.
You're welcome! I agree with you, I think it must be the added leather that makes the black one heavier. The La Poueze's back is made of plastic, it's actually very similar to the PW's back, nice grippy material, but doesn't attract fingerprints as much as the PW.
The border goes around all the way on both sides, which is nice when holding the device.
kledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #302
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Thanks for sharing, kledor. The La Poueze looks really nice!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #303
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Poetic case report

I ordered yesterday from Amazon (free Prime shipping to be here Saturday) and received it today (Friday). I like the way the magnets hold the cover closed, but alas, it does turn mine off and on (and off and on and off and on) with the cover folded back and held against the back of the case. So I won't be able to use it since that's the way I hold it. I like the feel of the googleproduct case much better (smooth and soft) and the Poetic case smells of plastic, which the googleproduct case didn't when I received it. Just my opinions. The poetic case might work well for anyone who doesn't fold the cover back. Corners need to be whittled as did the googleproduct case.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #304
Spotsmom
Spotsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I ordered mine from googleproduct on January 21st and I still haven't received it yet. How long did it take to receive it for those of you in the US? Seems to be taking awhile.
9 days to Oregon.
Spotsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #305
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I have a slip case from http://www.sfbags.com for my Paperwhite. It's a bit more expensive (though I didn't have to buy mine as it was part of the Winter Contest) but it holds the Kindle very well. It won't let the reader slip out and even has a plastic piece between the inner and outer lining of the case to help protect the screen.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #306
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I'm going to try this one:

http://tinyurl.com/b7kbfnk

(In a few other listings, this case is said to have auto-wake and sleep.)
The listing doesn't actually advertise the auto wake/sleep. Only because it has a magnetic closure (Praktischer Magnetverschluss) doesn't mean it is in the right spot to activate the sleep funtion. Could not find the reviews you were refering to.

Quote:
I've also considered this one:

http://tinyurl.com/aejg3xd

However, it seems the Touch will also fit the case, and that reader is both bigger and fatter than the Paperwhite. When you look closely at the pictures, especially nr. 6 in the list, you can actually see folds in the case's side. I think this case was originally designed for the Touch, and the PW just happens to somewhat fit.
All pictures in that listing are fake. None of the Kindles in there are actually Paperwhites. Picture #5 is a Touch (apparently, they did not even try to hide it). Picture #3 and #4 are Touches - in #4 you can see how a Touch is supposed to look like with usb, unused hole, 3.5mm audio plug, led, power button. #1, #2, and #6 are Touches with photoshopped Paperwhite front. They are not even replaced by a real Paperwhite front, but appear to simply have gotten a darker front and a "kindle" in the spot there the home-button on a Touch is. Why do I think that? The Touch does have a silver front, but the inside of the bevel (where it touches the screen) is black plastic, a seperate piece that leaves a visible gap/line between the silver and the black. Whereas the Paperwhite front is one solid piece of black plastic in the front until it reaches the rubbery trim around the outside of the PW. Also none of the pictures show the Paperwhite usb-plug - led - power button, even the pictures that show both - the "Paperwhite" front and the ports at the same time.

So I would be careful with both cases. The one might not have the wake-magnet, and the other might be a case for the Touch.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #307
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I have already considered all of this. Thanks for the warning, but I'm not an internet n00b

I do indeed not trust the second case.

The first case is listed by many different sellers for different prices between €10 and €35, and most copy each others descriptions. There are a few that do mention the sleep/wake function. I have already ordered that first case and received it several days ago.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204953
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #308
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
The case I ordered on Jan. 25 from Ali Express arrived today. I got the brown one:
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/214286529.html

The kindle fit easily but snugly into the case. I really like the look and feel of it. It does have a magnet for the auto wake/sleep feature but I didn't see it mentioned.

Over all, I'm really pleased with it; especially for the price.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #309
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotsmom View Post
9 days to Oregon.
Wow that quick. Mine still has not arrived and I ordered it January 21st. I'm starting to wonder if I'll get it at this point.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #310
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
You probably will, but if you don't have it after 4 weeks you may be in for a long wait. I've had stuff arrive after more than 6 weeks. It was apparently stuck at customs somewhere.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #311
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
I ordered yesterday from Amazon (free Prime shipping to be here Saturday) and received it today (Friday). I like the way the magnets hold the cover closed, but alas, it does turn mine off and on (and off and on and off and on) with the cover folded back and held against the back of the case. So I won't be able to use it since that's the way I hold it. I like the feel of the googleproduct case much better (smooth and soft) and the Poetic case smells of plastic, which the googleproduct case didn't when I received it. Just my opinions. The poetic case might work well for anyone who doesn't fold the cover back. Corners need to be whittled as did the googleproduct case.
You can easily rectify this by putting a few layers of tin foil underneath your kindle in the lower right corner of the case.

On my case, the corners don't need to be cut at all.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #312
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
You can easily rectify this by putting a few layers of tin foil underneath your kindle in the lower right corner of the case.

On my case, the corners don't need to be cut at all.
Thanks! I had thought of trying that, but hadn't gotten around to it. 6 layers of aluminum foil did the trick (less may have worked as well, but that's what I started with). Not thick enough to be a problem with the case fitting.

Mine did fit fine into the case, it was just getting it out that was a problem. I've found that a silicone-covered bowl scraper I have (silicone covered so as not to damage the back of the kindle, but stiff because there's metal inside) works well if pushed between the case and the kindle on the "spine" side and then slid down toward the lower left corner. Once you get that corner loose, the rest is possible. My experience has been that the whittling has helped with all of the third-party cases.

I'd love for them to add a magnet that keeps the case folded open as well as folded closed. The elastic strap on the earlier cases served that function. I read on my side(s) in bed and since they don't offer rotation in all directions on the PW, the case can't be used as an easel for landscape mode in both directions. And then there's still the remote... lol

Thanks again....
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #313
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Wow that quick. Mine still has not arrived and I ordered it January 21st. I'm starting to wonder if I'll get it at this point.
I would not worry. I did, when mine still had not arrived and I was getting ready to go overseas for Christmas with the case, but then I got it on time. Should be any day now.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #314
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post

I'd love for them to add a magnet that keeps the case folded open as well as folded closed. The elastic strap on the earlier cases served that function. I read on my side(s) in bed and since they don't offer rotation in all directions on the PW, the case can't be used as an easel for landscape mode in both directions. And then there's still the remote... lol

Thanks again....
This is totally OT, but if you pull your blanket a bit higher, and stick the kindle sideways underneath it, the blanket will keep the kidle from falling over. Not sure if I am describing this correctly, but it works for me Guess I'm a "side reader" as well.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #315
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I would not worry. I did, when mine still had not arrived and I was getting ready to go overseas for Christmas with the case, but then I got it on time. Should be any day now.
It's a fair bit past the latest delivery date I was given so I was starting to wonder, but hopefully I'll receive it this coming week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
This is totally OT, but if you pull your blanket a bit higher, and stick the kindle sideways underneath it, the blanket will keep the kidle from falling over. Not sure if I am describing this correctly, but it works for me Guess I'm a "side reader" as well.
That is exactly what I do too.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote