Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Downgrading firmware

Hi everybody,

I would like to delete OS on my 650 and install an older version. For some reason, the new OS freezes on me quite often and it's annoying. I have not been able to find a way to do it, nor a place to download the old OS...

I would appreciate any help or links you throw my way. I am using Mac OS X 10.6.7, but if I have no choice I can switch to Windows 7 to do this.

Thanks in advance,

Ivy
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Not sure about mac OS, but on windows all Sony installers are basically zip archives.
If you rename exe to .zip, you can unpack it. Then there is file (dont remember exact name, something like prsver.dat) in some of the subfolders, that contains installers version. You can edit it with notepad or any other text editor. Set value to something higher than what you have on your reader, it should do the trick.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 04:16 AM   #3
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi kartu

One of the reasons I want to downgrade is so that I can install your PRS+
I will see if your tip does it, thanks!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Ivy,

next release might be only a couple of weeks away, in case it changes anything for you.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.

Well, it hasn't messed with me since.... yesterday night

I reinstalled everything (with the newest version again, since I didn't know how to downgrade it) and if that fixes my freezing problem, I'll just wait a bit. Thanks for the heads-up.
Advert