Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #16
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
cute comic..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #17
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
nbc has flip-flopped on similar decisions before..
I'm guessing this will last about as long as their absence from the iTunes video store did a few years ago...

Maybe not, though. This could be a play to make the eventual Hulu app and subscription service more enticing. Fox doesn't seem in any hurry to make its video iPad-compatible either.

On a semi-related note, I had to spend 3 hours today troubleshooting my Flash CS4 install - it suddenly decided to stop exporting .swf files. It would either crash completely when I tried to publish, or simply fail to output the file. It was eventually resolved by a complete uninstall/reinstall (which is a whole other circle of hell due to the horrible CS4 installation program). Of course, along the way I had to retry the install three times because it kept choking on a font it thought was corrupted. This is just a couple of weeks after I did a routine Acrobat update and it hosed my licensing information (and refused to take the correct serial number) because I failed to open another CS4 app before opening the updated Acrobat. That required another uninstall/reinstall and 2 wasted hours.

When people accuse me of being down on Flash because I'm a drooling Jobs sheeple, I have to laugh. Part of the reason I'm down on Flash is because I've used Adobe products virtually every day for the last 15 years, and since they acquired Macromedia, their focus has shifted to pushing Flash as a platform and loading up their overpriced, forced-bundle CS with useless bloatware while making only incremental improvements to the core apps I actually care about. And on top of that, implementing one of the most customer-hostile, bug-ridden DRM systems known to man.

Sorry. It was a frustrating afternoon, needed to vent.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #18
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

i work with several web designers and graphic artists, you're not alone in your complaints.. not one bit.

personally i got tired of photoshop upgrades and troubles that i went to elements since that's all i really needed for my photography enhancements. and since the mac version wasn't updated as much as the pc version i sadly went over to the windows version of that. adobe used to produce quality applications, now they care about quality as much as microsoft does.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:46 AM   #19
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Interesting. Guess it's up to the individual sites then rather than TW as a whole--unless they go crazy and take away the non-flash videos on CNN.com.
Time Warner's issue was about the cost of converting all the stuff they already had not about new stuff so it seems quite unlikely they would take anything away.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #20
StevenK
Enthusiast
StevenK began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I'm betting they change their minds in the next 6 months.
Yeah, when there are millions upon millions of iPad users who can't buy their product, they'll suddenly discover the benefits of HTML 5.
StevenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It's not just the iPad. No phones but the most recent few Android phones can run full flash. That's a HUGE market they are ignoring.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #22
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
That's true, but most people I know with smartphones aren't doing much web browsing anyway. They just check e-mail, and view some mobile sites for sports scores when they're on the go, look up an address to a restaurant etc.

So I don't think they're missing a huge chunk of people, and they can always make adds for the mobile sites where all phones are going to get default directed to anyway--assuming they have mobile sites of course.

Again, I don't have a dog in the fight either way. I couldn't give a shit less about Flash or Apple and this battle.

All I care about is any tablet I buy must have the exact same web browsing capabilities as my PCs or I won't buy it. So Flash support is a deal breaker for me until some future date when every site I visit regularly has switched away from Flash.

Others don't frequent Flash sites, and thus are fine with the iPad's browsing experience.

That's really all it boils down to--how much Flash is prevalent in people's daily web browsing, so it's really not worth all the heated arguments we've had on here over the months.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #23
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
That's true, but most people I know with smartphones aren't doing much web browsing anyway. They just check e-mail, and view some mobile sites for sports scores when they're on the go, look up an address to a restaurant etc....
All I care about is any tablet I buy must have the exact same web browsing capabilities as my PCs or I won't buy it. So Flash support is a deal breaker for me until some future date when every site I visit regularly has switched away from Flash.....
+1

The reality is that the full Flash Player will be available on Android, Blackberry, WebOS and Symbian in the second half of 2010, and Windows Mobile 7 in the first half of 2011.

Which means that all tablets and most phones running any of these systems will have full Flash capability, including hardware acceleration.

Plus, most tablets and many phones will run on Tegra 2 and Atom Z6, thus most likely the minor hiccups we see on the Snapdragon Nexus One will be smoothed out by the more powerful hardware.

The bottom line is, 2010 is the year in which Flash finally comes in full force to the mobile world.

With Android growing exponentially (even AT&T is getting a 4" AMOLED Samsung i897 (running Android 2.2 with Flash) in July), and everyone else getting on the Flash bandwagon, the iPlatform looks pretty isolated in terms of web browsing. I am not certain most companies will continue to invest in mobile sites, once "mobile" comes to mean only "iPlatform."

I personally believe that iPad v.2 or v.3 will get Flash, just like the 3Gs got video, and just like Apple opened iBooks one year after Jobs pronounced that "nobody reads anymore."
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
+1

I personally believe that iPad v.2 or v.3 will get Flash, just like the 3Gs got video, and just like Apple opened iBooks one year after Jobs pronounced that "nobody reads anymore."
I don't believe anything one way or the other about this, but at this point the onus on Adobe is to deliver a high quality Flash on at least a couple of mobile platforms, and do it before the end of the year, if not sooner. Their credibility is very much in question at this point.

It only makes sense for Apple to support Flash if there's a clear competitive pressure to do so. And that pressure only exists in theory (well, beta) right now.

It would be interesting if Apple were to mitigate their risk by doing their own implementation of Flash or a functional subset thereof (if they aren't working on this already). With fewer constraints concerning requirements (for example, that the code be cross platform, or that it implement the full spec), and full access to iPhone code, they could probably come up with a better solution than Adobe, expose functionality the current Flash specification does not (accelerometer?), while avoiding external dependencies.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #25
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I don't believe anything one way or the other about this, but at this point the onus on Adobe is to deliver a high quality Flash on at least a couple of mobile platforms, and do it before the end of the year, if not sooner. Their credibility is very much in question at this point.

It only makes sense for Apple to support Flash if there's a clear competitive pressure to do so. And that pressure only exists in theory (well, beta) right now.

It would be interesting if Apple were to mitigate their risk by doing their own implementation of Flash or a functional subset thereof (if they aren't working on this already). With fewer constraints concerning requirements (for example, that the code be cross platform, or that it implement the full spec), and full access to iPhone code, they could probably come up with a better solution than Adobe, expose functionality the current Flash specification does not (accelerometer?), while avoiding external dependencies.
+1

Don't care if iPhone/iPad is 1st or 3rd place, I just hope flash dies the utter death it deserves.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote