Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Blurb pet peeves

Since this was mentioned in another thread, I thought I would start a thread of things that irritate me in a blurb
1. Mentioning that you can read free in Kindle Unlimited. My reason is if I am on the book page I already know this. Amazon mentions it above the blurb. It is also in the price box.
Twice is enough.

2. If one puts #1 Bestseller on Amazon. Ok if your name is Grisham, Roth, James, Cussler, I would believe it. But not if you made #1 in a very small subcat. More so, if it was a free subcat.

3. From NYT bestseller used to bother me but now it means hey a readable book.

4. Using a review in the blurb. I want your words not someone else's. Side note to this one, authors that copy and paste reviews from one book to another in the editorial reviews.

Also if an author uses a review of mine without my permission, they will lose that review.

On my first two points, I always think the author is assuming that the reader is too dumb to do any research or read the book page. Since the author is assuming his readers are dumb, does he write dumb?

Oh and last turn off is bad grammar in the blurb. I assume the book will be the same way.

So dear authors when writing a blurb assume your potential buyer can read. Otherwise that potential buyer may think you can't write.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
All of the above, plus I don't like really long blurbs. I'm looking for a quick reason to read a story, not another story.

But, mistakes in grammar and spelling are guaranteed sale-killers.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Another one, off the top of my head: giving a synopsis of the plot.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I never bought a book because it was on some idiots best seller list.

Gimme the BEEF (Synopsis)
If I have to scroll it... It is to long

Or
A really good, sink the hook, solidly... Teaser .
If it can be done in a Paragraph or two .

If I want a Review. I will go to a review site. (or ask my friends)
Same goes for the Author Bio.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
3. From NYT bestseller used to bother me but now it means hey a readable book.
50 Shades of Gray was a NYT bestseller (not that long ago) and it is unreadable garbage. Just because lemmings bought the book doesn't make it readable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On 50 shades, I know numerous people that found the book absolutely fantastic. I haven't read all of it but I would call it simplistic writing.
But you consider that it wasn't written for the educated. It was written for fans of fanfic of Twilight.
Different demographic.
But this thread is about blurbs.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:48 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
50 Shades of Gray was a NYT bestseller (not that long ago) and it is unreadable garbage. Just because lemmings bought the book doesn't make it readable.
I think Jon means (if he thought about this a bit further):

...."and, in my opinion, it is unreadable garbage..."

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-14-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #8
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
A blurb that goes on and on about how great the book is but doesn't tell me what the whole thing is about. This is a "never touch anything by this author again" level offense.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
Bart Page
Bart Page began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
There is nothing worse than a "blurb" that basically give you the entire story arc.
Bart Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
All of the above, plus I don't like really long blurbs. I'm looking for a quick reason to read a story, not another story.

But, mistakes in grammar and spelling are guaranteed sale-killers.
Actually, the blurbs are not always written by the author. A lot of times the publisher has someone else write the blurb so if there are errors in the blurb, it's not always the author's fault.

So if the book is not self-published, you cannot blame the author and be sure you are correct.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I never bought a book because it was on some idiots best seller list.
I've found that a lot of award winning books aren't worth the pixels it takes to announce the award online.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, the blurbs are not always written by the author. A lot of times the publisher has someone else write the blurb so if there are errors in the blurb, it's not always the author's fault.

So if the book is not self-published, you cannot blame the author and be sure you are correct.
Jon,
The OP was written with self-published authors in mind.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I've had a long blurb spoil a book. While browsing I saw a new book by R.A. Salvatore, the guy who wrote Drizzt Do'Urden, in the Forgotten Realms setting.

"Hey, a new book. I didn't know he had out another one."

*read blurb*

FRAAAAACK.

I hadn't read all of the Drizzt books, and by reading that blurb, I now know that

Spoiler:

all of the characters of the books, such as Bruenor, Catti-Brie and so on will die at some point. That is expected, as they are adventurers, and even if they wouldn't be killed or something, they don't have Drizzt's life span. However, I also know that a few books later, all of them will be revived, alive again, about a hundred years into the future.

Damn you, blurb.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've had a long blurb spoil a book. While browsing I saw a new book by R.A. Salvatore, the guy who wrote Drizzt Do'Urden, in the Forgotten Realms setting.

"Hey, a new book. I didn't know he had out another one."

*read blurb*

FRAAAAACK.

I hadn't read all of the Drizzt books, and by reading that blurb, I now know that

<snip the spoiler>

Damn you, blurb.
My pet peeve is people using the word "blurb" when they mean "description." A blurb, traditionally, is not the damned description. It's a BLURB. A blurb is a comment or praise from some authority, whether it's Stephen King or the NYTimes' Book Review. Yes--before anyone jumps in--I know that the OED allows that "blurb" can be a short, eulogistic description by a publisher. Nonetheless, in the biz, historically, a blurb is not the description, (as in the description field on Amazon's website); it's the praise.

Offered solely FWIW.

@Cinsajoy:

You said:

Quote:
Also if an author uses a review of mine without my permission, they will lose that review.
A review from where, exactly? I ask because Amazon (and B&N, etc.) state pretty clearly that once you've written a review on their site, they own it, not you, so an author wouldn't be doing anything spectacularly wrong in using that content. Do you have a review site, is that the thing? Usually, at least, in trade publishing, a published review, is pretty much fair game.

If, in this thread, we are discussing descriptions, I have a list of stuff that will put me off a book in a New York second.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
My pet peeve is people using the word "blurb" when they mean "description." A blurb, traditionally, is not the damned description. It's a BLURB. A blurb is a comment or praise from some authority, whether it's Stephen King or the NYTimes' Book Review. Yes--before anyone jumps in--I know that the OED allows that "blurb" can be a short, eulogistic description by a publisher. Nonetheless, in the biz, historically, a blurb is not the description, (as in the description field on Amazon's website); it's the praise.

Offered solely FWIW.

@Cinsajoy:

You said:

A review from where, exactly? I ask because Amazon (and B&N, etc.) state pretty clearly that once you've written a review on their site, they own it, not you, so an author wouldn't be doing anything spectacularly wrong in using that content. Do you have a review site, is that the thing? Usually, at least, in trade publishing, a published review, is pretty much fair game.

If, in this thread, we are discussing descriptions, I have a list of stuff that will put me off a book in a New York second.

Hitch
That is odd because there is an option at Amazon to delete a review you have posted.
So yes at Amazon.
Can you please point me to exactly where Amazon owns the review? It does not say that anywhere on the reviewing page nor is there a pop-up.