Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Exclamation eBay - PE Parts

eBay user: dueceroadster is selling parts of a Pocket Edge;

LCD,
eInk screen ,
battery,
Shell,
Motherboard.

All PE items plus additional other items on one page.

As always ALL disclaimers APPLY.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
n6pfk
n6pfk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

I have a PE to repair but I can't see how to release the cables without using force. How are the clips released?
n6pfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
n6pfk
n6pfk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cable clips?

Hi,

I have a PE to repair but I can't see how to release the cables without using force. How are the clips released?
n6pfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
If they are standard flat plate cable holders you have to lift the wedge that holds the cable and socket contact against each other. Look at the holder and if there is a piece that protrudes slightly over the ends of the main part of the holder, just gently prise it up, this will free the cable.

Putting it back together is the reverse - mack sure you get the cable in the right direction.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
Gremalkin
Gremalkin began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Our PE purchased in May 2011 started having problems with the touch screen on the LCD side. It was developing a "dead area" on the left side which kept spreading to the point where we couldn't calibrate the tablet side anymore. We have taken it apart and confirmed the LCD is fine and it is a problem with the plastic touch screen. Unfortunately, the listing in this post has been sold. While putting everything back together, we broke the touch screen (not the LCD), so we definitely need to find a replacement. I am assuming that this is the digitizer, am I correct?

I found one online company (link to sandiegopchelp.com) and have sent an email to them to see 1. if they can sell me just the part I need and not the whole screen unit and 2. what the cost would be.

Does anyone know of any other sources for pocket edge parts?
Gremalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #6
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Sorry about your PE, Gremalkin!

There are some for sale on ebay now, one at auction for $11.50 (with $20 shipping). Since you don't care whether it works, you might want to make a bid. Other than that, Ivan might know about parts.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes Filark, I do know something about the parts - the big problem is that I don't have the money to tie up in a vast amount of stock that will never shift.

All parts can be obtained if you are prepared to buy a large enough quantity - getting a 'one off' is almost impossible unless the part is used in a large number of items.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Gremalkin

Curious as to what quantities/cost you are talking about. . .

Some good news: we may have a parts PE now. Bad news, it is a PE we bought off the last woot sale and gave to our daughter for Christmas. She was writing on the eInk side at school when the device locked up. Reset button did nothing. Power light comes on and off with the power button, but nothing else happens. Detaching the battery and reconnecting changed nothing. Device will not boot off of USB either. She has only used the device since about New Years' - as we wouldn't let her use it until we had screen protectors and a skin applied.

What really sucks is that both of these devices would have been covered under warranty had the company remained in business. We absolutely LOVE the PE, and have 5 (well, now 3) within our family. I am hesitant to buy any more off eBay or elsewhere because a 40% failure rate is pretty bad IMHO. We had updated both to Ermine - so maybe that was the cause. Thinking about not updating the 1 remaining one that hasn't been updated.

Off to search the forums for some things to try with the recent dead one. . .
Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #9
Gremalkin

Update on daughter's PE:

Took the cover off, and checked that all cable connections were secure. When I messed with the one in the picture below, the device booted! The photo shows the connection/cable. Notice the wires sticking out of the top and the misaligned black taping. Can we say sloppy assembly?

Rebooted it twice with everything taken apart, then started putting it back together. When I snapped the cover back on to that side of the PE, it no longer booted. I took the cover back off and it did not boot. I plugged the power in to ensure it wasn't a dead/low battery causing the problem, and immediately smoke started coming from the area of the cable. There are burn marks on the underside of the cable.

So - I am in the process of moving the cable from the broken screen PE to my daughter's PE, instead of moving my daughter's screen to the previously broken PE. This new endeavor involves taking apart the hinge. . . fingers crossed. . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LoreleiPE.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	81107  

Last edited by Gremalkin; 01-12-2012 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Removed description of cable purpose, as I really have no clue right now. :-)
Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
ivanjt
Guru

Cables are a weak point - especially those that are bundled together, friction, heat, bad assembly and a few other things will degrade the insulation and, in some cases, produce short circuits.

In your case, you may be disappointed if the short in the cable has damaged any components on the circuit board - some ICs don't like over or reverse voltage.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Gremalkin

Success!

My husband broke a little plastic tab thing off the power switch on the motherboard of my daughter's PE, so we ended up taking the motherboard and cable from the 1st PE and putting them in her PE. We also had to switch the batteries, but we now have a working PE out of the 2!!!

There was definitely a short in the cable. All the wires under the tape are bare, and one copper wire crossed over 2-3 other copper ones and this is where it appears the short originated. I will try to post a pic later - busy right now with family things. . .
Old 01-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Congratulations!!

(I'm not liking the bare wires info, though. )
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
ivanjt
Guru

Well done on getting one up and working.

The fact there were bare wires hidden by the tape says a lot about the QC of the assembling company and some of the problems people have encountered.

BTW, in answer to your question re quantity/cost - usually minimum of 300 to 500 pieces, sometimes more and/or a minimum order cost of € 5k to 10k. That is for specific parts - circuit boards, non standard cables, ICs etc. If the parts are standard manufacturer jdec parts then we can usually get them at reasonable cost and numbers. It's the non-standard parts that cost.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #14
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Gremalkin, as you have a device open, could you please have a look at one thing?
Right besides the cover for the micro sd-card-slot there is another cover for another slot that can't be accessed. I've read somewhere that it might be that this slot was intended for using sim cards one day. Can you see what is hidden at this place inside the device? Thanks!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #15
ivanjt
Guru

Yes, that was where the sim card was allocated space and no the hardware and electronics are not in place so unless you access to the LSI chip and passive components and are skilled in surface mount soldering there is nothing you can do with it.

Tags
battery, edge, eink, entourage, lcd