Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Unhappy spilled water on my new reader

I got up in the dark this morning and knocked over my water glass. My reader which is less than 1 month old got wet. I wiped it off and then powered it off. It was able to turn on and then go through its power down just fine, so I think it will be fine. I put it in a bowl of rice and will leave it there for a few days. Luckily I have lots of unread pbooks laying around. Then I think I will have to get some compressed air to make sure there are no rice particles in the bezel.

I just got new case/sleeve for the reader too... but it wasn't in it!!! I am reminded of the person on here who insists that everyone use a full-time case. I'm sure that person is going to chime in.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I can't tell you how many times thats ALMOST happened to me...its easy to do.

Good luck and I hope it dries out so that its usable again.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
I hope it works fine. Why keeping it in rice though? Is that supposed to help draw the water? I had no clue about that
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
One of the recommended procedures for drying electronics... usually used for mobile phones dropped in the toilet... empty and then submerge in container of dry rice which absorbs water from anywhere in its vicinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
I hope it works fine. Why keeping it in rice though? Is that supposed to help draw the water? I had no clue about that
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Hmm, useful thing to find out! I've only had to deal with minor splashes of water on my phones till now thankfully *knocks on wood*, just opening them up and putting them under a fan seems to work for that. I wonder if you could get a jar of silica gel from somewhere and whether it would work
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Once upon a time ... I spilled orange juice all over my open laptop. The repair folks were able to fix/clean it, but I learned my lesson keeping anything spill-able away from uncovered electronics.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same difference but rice is cheaper and just as effective... works best if you can completely submerge the device to be dried out... if the liquid is anything but water then you should also rinse the device clean with deionized/distilled water to remove any traces before drying... and there are no guarantees but if you've already drowned something then it's worth a try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
Hmm, useful thing to find out! I've only had to deal with minor splashes of water on my phones till now thankfully *knocks on wood*, just opening them up and putting them under a fan seems to work for that. I wonder if you could get a jar of silica gel from somewhere and whether it would work
Old 11-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
empty and then submerge in container of dry rice
Hmmm. I put mine in a container of dry ice and when I picked it up it froze to my hand. I might need to go back and read those instructions again.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

You can also put it in a warm place, but no more than about 100 degrees F. A window sill with sunlight often works.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In the word of ex-president Bill Clinton "I feel your pain".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill-Clinton.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	61416  
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #11
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Hmmm. I put mine in a container of dry ice and when I picked it up it froze to my hand. I might need to go back and read those instructions again.

Here's hoping the RICE works perfectly! Keep us posted!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Thanks guys. The rice trick has saved my cellphone before, so I'm hopeful.

Now everyone sing with me:

The WAAAAAAAITING IS THE HARDEST PART....

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Thanks guys. The rice trick has saved my cellphone before, so I'm hopeful.

Now everyone sing with me:

The WAAAAAAAITING IS THE HARDEST PART....

eP
(singing with you ) And don't I know it, having been without my Reader since Monday the 8th and waiting for my trade-in coupon!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Helpful Hint: If you use Minute Rice your device will dry even faster.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
elcreative
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Helpful Hint: If you use Minute Rice your device will dry even faster.