Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
brightscreamer
brightscreamer began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Calibre library question...

Hello, all!

After much debating, I decided to order a PRS-505 and am very excited about it. In preparation for the arrival of my 505, I downloaded Calibre to get my library in order. I imported my library into Calibre, but am now a little confused. I'm running Ubuntu, and I had my library in my Home folder in a folder called "Reading." In my Reading folder, I had two separate folders, one for Books, and one for Comics. After importing them into Calibre, I now have a Library folder in my Home folder. Did Calibre copy my library over to this new Library folder? If so, does that mean it's safe to delete my Reading folder, or does Calibre still need it there? In other words, I want to make sure the Calibre's library isn't dependent on my Reading folder. It seems as though my library is now taking up twice the space.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
brightscreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightscreamer View Post
I'm running Ubuntu, and I had my library in my Home folder in a folder called "Reading." In my Reading folder, I had two separate folders, one for Books, and one for Comics. After importing them into Calibre, I now have a Library folder in my Home folder. Did Calibre copy my library over to this new Library folder? If so, does that mean it's safe to delete my Reading folder, or does Calibre still need it there? In other words, I want to make sure the Calibre's library isn't dependent on my Reading folder. It seems as though my library is now taking up twice the space.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
If you go into calibre and look at the config it will show the path to your library. That folder, its contents and any sub folders are used by calibre and shouldn't be touched.

If you pointed calibre to a folder that already had stuff in it, then all bets are off.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_m...ary-management
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
brightscreamer

Thanks for the quick replies, although I had already checked the FAQs and was not sufficiently helped by what I read. I checked the config, and it says Calibre is saving to my Library folder, but does that mean that I can delete my Reading folder? It is not clear to me whether or not Calibre is duplicating my library. My library folder also contains about three times as many files as my Reading folder, and I know for a fact that I had never used the Library folder before as this is a fairly fresh install.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes calibre duplicates your files
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightscreamer View Post
I checked the config, and it says Calibre is saving to my Library folder, but does that mean that I can delete my Reading folder? It is not clear to me whether or not Calibre is duplicating my library.
Yes if you wish. All of your books are copied into the calibre folders.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
brightscreamer

NOW we're in business! Thanks again, and I'll make sure to make a donation once everything syncs well with the PRS-505!