Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A simple test
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fileisreadonly.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	107062  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
abethan53
abethan53 began at the beginning.

Device: Compaq Presario C700 laptop
Yo-yo's back

Attn: the ducks :
I saw your sent image >> "A simple test" > (Attached Thumbnails > Sigil has encountered a problem).
How do I use that as a troubleshooting tool? (I'm green). Looks like it might help isolate the problem? (I'm referring to Sigil's unresponsive Save button, of course).
Also, I'm learning the terminology you guys use. Just want to verify: Is a lock on a file the same as a block (as in lock/block?) It's imperative that I get this right!
And ShellShock brought up something interesting as well. He asked: What does Sigil do if the file's 'Read Only' attribute is set? Could this be the problem?
Naturally, I immediately hunted for this illusive 'Read Only' setting on Sigil, but where it is I do not know. (Maybe under File?). Either I'm getting dumber or you select band of professors tote around great vats of Wisdom (details and all) unbeknownst to the free world! https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smilies/confused.gif

Last edited by abethan53; 06-16-2013 at 05:24 PM.
abethan53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you right click on a listing of the file names anywhere in windows you can select properties. At the bottom of the data that comes up is a check box for read only. If it is checked, that could be your problem. Just uncheck it.

Don't know about Mac or Linux listing, but the same idea.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My picture says Sigil Windows FAILS with that kind of message. Prety obvious if that (read only) was the cause.

Since Save As works, this rules out a bunch of types of possibilities.

I am out of ideas.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #20
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
"Read Only" is a property you can set on a file to prevent it from being edited by any program - thus becoming a "read only" file instead of a "read & write" file.

When a software program opens a file it will usually "lock" the file to prevent another program from editing it at the same time - thus "blocking" other programs. This behavior is designed to protect you from making multiple edits in different programs at the same time to the same file. If you try and do this the programs become confused and could either crash the program, or severely cripple the file you are working on.

Your file may be set to "read only" in its properties, OR you could have the same file opened at the same time in more than one program. Either case will usually result in the behavior you are seeing.

If you can't find which program is locking your file, and/or you can't uncheck the "read only" property AND your SaveAs button works then the solution is simple...

- SaveAs a different file name when you first open the file in Sigil (This removes any locks)
- Edit your file as desired and your Save button will operate normally.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #21
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
This sort of weirdness does slightly suggest an antivirus program problem, or a need to delete sigil.ini and restart.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
to me it more suggests PEBKAC , plus poor communication and duplication of instructions by OP
if he'd just reply to questions already asked e.g. in #9 and #10 we'd have fixed this many posts ago.

the ratio of help offered to feedback received is way off
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote