Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2011, 04:27 AM   #1
pyrokamileon
pyrokamileon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
is the text on the Kobo Touch good enough?

I read from a couple different places that people are saying the Touch doesn't display text as crisply as the Wifi did, this is honestly one thing that makes me worry because I don't really want a touch screen on my Kobo but I do want a faster processor and a bunch of other things that come with the Touch. Are those extras worth the degradation of the quality of the screen? can someone tell me how the screens differ visually?
pyrokamileon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The new screen is Pearl--seems better than the WiFi to me when compared side-by-side. We will also have a variety of fonts available after the next update which will make it far more likely that folks can find one that they really like.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
the wifi did have better text.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hummm, not doubting you, but I'm not seeing it. The again, Kindle 2 had worse text than kindle 1, too. Wonder what's up with those kinds of changes for both companies.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
a friend of mine has the kindle 3 and his looks better than my touch, and they're supposedly using the same screen...so...
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Some of that is the fonts. I also don't know if touch vs non-touch impacts this. It would be interesting to go head-to-head with the same fonts at the same size.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
...this is probably a useless post because Kobo is my first ereader but I find the text easier to read than from a regular book...
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
The screen is fine. And very readable. One of the default fonts is more readable for me than the other. And hopefull there will be even more choices in the near future
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
The font crispness is just about the same to my eyes between the Wireless and the Touch. Very little difference. And they're just as clear as reading a pocketbook.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
today's update will definitely increase text "crispness" for people as they'll be able to add whatever font they want to be using. out of the new ones included, I think I like Felbridge the most with Delima next in line (although I think the later is a bit darker..).
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
today's update will definitely increase text "crispness" for people as they'll be able to add whatever font they want to be using. out of the new ones included, I think I like Felbridge the most with Delima next in line (although I think the later is a bit darker..).
gil sans looks great, and works on all books not just kepubs. having this new found functionality makes it a better device in terms of setting it up to your personal tastes.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
gil sans looks great, and works on all books not just kepubs. having this new found functionality makes it a better device in terms of setting it up to your personal tastes.
It does doesnt it. I am likeing the 1.9.5

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
pyrokamileon
pyrokamileon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
so it seems like it's partly personal preference and partly which font is being used..

speaking of the extra fonts that just got added I would never tell anyone that I didn't want more options but I never knew which was better between serif and sans serif on the Kobo Wifi, I just used sans serif because it seemed simpler on the screen. I have a feeling I'll not know what to do with multiple font options! I'll probably cycle through them little by little and hopefully settle on one eventually or find out which font others think is best on the eyes and stick with that one..

p.s. I like using open source stuff wherever possible so I'll probably end up finding some open source equivalent fonts and add those in, I'm glad we get the option to add fonts :-)
pyrokamileon is offline   Reply With Quote