Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-02-2024, 08:01 AM   #316
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
No, I found out it converts from .dict too, but it seems not do it with all files.
There is no standard format with dict suffix, I guess what you had was a tab delimited (csv) which was renamed into something.dict. And that should work.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 02:09 PM   #317
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
There is no standard format with dict suffix, I guess what you had was a tab delimited (csv) which was renamed into something.dict. And that should work.
What I have are an Oxford dictionary of English which .dict file seems to be written with html/xml marks.

I thought it was simple to add dictionaries like on my Likebook, but it's a nightmare if you want a good one. It's definitely not an open system. And Webster's included is from... 1913?

Definitely, I regret have bought this device and should have gotten an Android one. My main aim was read and learn other languages.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2024, 04:58 PM   #318
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is as simple as in the Likebook (just copy the dictionary into the right folder) but you have to use different dictionary formats. Since the Likebook is using Stardict format, you have access to a lot of available dictionaries, some of them of doubtable origin. Pocketbook is using another format but gave us a (simple) converter to create some. If you would rather use Stardict dictionaries, install KoReader on your Pocketbook which does support Stardict format though doesn't support hard DRM.

PS: KoReader is also recommended for learning other languages since it has included a vocabulary trainer.
PPS: If you are looking for some premade Pocketbook dictionaries, this thread might be of help:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325203

Last edited by nhedgehog; 03-02-2024 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:06 AM   #319
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
It is as simple as in the Likebook (just copy the dictionary into the right folder) but you have to use different dictionary formats. Since the Likebook is using Stardict format, you have access to a lot of available dictionaries, some of them of doubtable origin. Pocketbook is using another format but gave us a (simple) converter to create some. If you would rather use Stardict dictionaries, install KoReader on your Pocketbook which does support Stardict format though doesn't support hard DRM.

PS: KoReader is also recommended for learning other languages since it has included a vocabulary trainer.
PPS: If you are looking for some premade Pocketbook dictionaries, this thread might be of help:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325203
Many thanks! I thought this was the unique dictionaries' thread for Pocketbooks.

But I'm really disappointed by this company. I know it's a little one and expected it to be more open and don't jail people inside propietary formats like .dic. It's my motive for not liking Amazon's.

Last edited by viceant; 03-03-2024 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:32 AM   #320
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
Besides, the Oxford Advanced Learner 9th edition .dic is here, along with other big English vocabularies.
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2024, 11:06 AM   #321
viceant
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastEriq View Post
Besides, the Oxford Advanced Learner 9th edition .dic is here, along with other big English vocabularies.
Yes, i got it from there, thanks.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:26 AM   #322
electronicfur
Connoisseur
electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Samsung Note FBReader, Nook Simple Touch FBReader, (Kindle3 died)
Is there a way to change the size of the dictionary window popup, or go full screen when looking up a word? Couldn't find anything in the settings, but maybe I missed it.
electronicfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 09:48 AM   #323
nhedgehog
Guru

There might be, it is hardcoded in the skin/Theme file but we can provide replace file in the corresponding folder on /mnt/ext1.
Themefile name is line.pbt, there are several versions of pbres that help to extract it but not fully on newer fw. The interesting part: theme.cfg is extracted though and should be placed into /mnt/ext1/system/resources/Line

But using KoReader is from my part preferred.

This might be of help too:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=358533
and this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=355521

Last edited by nhedgehog; 03-05-2024 at 10:13 AM.