Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
real_yoni
real_yoni began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
Why xml??

I’m working on a tool for the PRS-505, and I wondered as to why Sony chooses to handle the internal data with an XML file (media.xml)? This will never ever be as fast as an embedded database (Sqlite for example or any other other commercial solution).

No wonder the device seems to get slower with each book you add. The all point behind databases is that with the proper index the time it takes to query will not grow in liner fashion as the case with XML. Not to mention other benefits of database such as storing data in binary representation and the textual one etc…

Y.
real_yoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by real_yoni View Post
I’m working on a tool for the PRS-505, and I wondered as to why Sony chooses to handle the internal data with an XML file (media.xml)? This will never ever be as fast as an embedded database (Sqlite for example or any other other commercial solution).
XML is an industry standard. Also, it can be edited on any platform with just a text editor, you don't need any tool. With a database format, you would limit the supported platforms and possibly run into trouble with newer versions of said database. Speed isn't much of a concern in a reader, is it? And if it is, the reader could convert the XML into a faster format on power-on.

Quote:
The all point behind databases is that with the proper index the time it takes to query will not grow in liner fashion as the case with XML.
A database is way too robust for reader's needs. As for speed, XML does not necessarily require a linear time, either - it can be indexed just as well as a real database.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert