Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-02-2024, 09:15 AM   #31
electronicfur
Connoisseur
electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Samsung Note FBReader, Nook Simple Touch FBReader, (Kindle3 died)
That's good news. Could someone do me a favour and try this test OPDS library https://cops-demo.slucas.fr/feed.php

When I try it in the PocketBook Reader android app, it fails to open for example Authors->D->Doyle, Artur Conan. It for some reason opens a browser page showing the XML instead. But it can open Authors->W->Wells, H. G. and the War of the Worlds epub fine.

Wondering if it's the same on an actual PocketBook. If it is then I'll see what I need to change to the COPS feed to get PocketBook to be able to read COPS Calibre OPDS feeds.

Last edited by electronicfur; 03-02-2024 at 09:18 AM.
electronicfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:37 AM   #32
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicfur View Post
That's good news. Could someone do me a favour and try this test OPDS library https://cops-demo.slucas.fr/feed.php

When I try it in the PocketBook Reader android app, it fails to open for example Authors->D->Doyle, Artur Conan. It for some reason opens a browser page showing the XML instead. But it can open Authors->W->Wells, H. G. and the War of the Worlds epub fine.

Wondering if it's the same on an actual PocketBook. If it is then I'll see what I need to change to the COPS feed to get PocketBook to be able to read COPS Calibre OPDS feeds.
I could access all the author pages for Cops Demo catalog correctly using the PB Network Libraries.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 03-02-2024 at 11:14 AM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2024, 11:44 AM   #33
electronicfur
Connoisseur
electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I could access all the author pages for Cops Demo catalog correctly using the PB Network Libraries.
Great, thanks for testing that. Makes it an easy way to get books in Calibre onto the pocketbook. Has to be easy for the wife and kids Got the Verse Pro coming next week, 10th birthday present for my son as he's been using his Nook Simple Touch a lot.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:57 AM   #34
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Great, thanks for testing that. Makes it an easy way to get books in Calibre onto the pocketbook. Has to be easy for the wife and kids Got the Verse Pro coming next week, 10th birthday present for my son as he's been using his Nook Simple Touch a lot.
Lucky lad! It's a lovely device. I bought my HD3 about six months before they released the Verse Pro annoyingly. The Verse Pro is essentially a HD3 with USB-C and a sleeker design!

Great that he likes reading too, I struggle getting the new generation to read anything!!!
Old 03-04-2024, 10:05 AM   #35
electronicfur
Connoisseur

Quote:
Lucky lad! It's a lovely device. I bought my HD3 about six months before they released the Verse Pro annoyingly. The Verse Pro is essentially a HD3 with USB-C and a sleeker design!

Great that he likes reading too, I struggle getting the new generation to read anything!!!
I received the Verse Pro, very nice reader. He will be pleased. We figured if it keeps him reading then it's worth it. He's reading in low light often, so the backlight is good to have. I'm tempted to get one too now, but the Nook Simple Touch still work fine though even after 11 years.

So I had a chance to test your install, but it doesn't appear to work. When you talk about the Library dropdown, I take it you mean the one that lists All Books, Authors, etc, with final entry PockeBook Cloud? I don't get a "Network Libraries" appear in there.

I did check the contents of the created EnableOPDS_p2.pbi and it correctly contains the _scriptInstall, sinstall directory containing the device.cfg. Which correctly has the "have_opds=1" at the top. Installing EnableOPDS_p2.pbi correctly restarts and deletes the pbi files, so not sure why it has not worked.

Is there some other way I need to reboot? I tried holding the power button down for 10 seconds, but it just seems to power it down like normal.
Advert
Old 03-04-2024, 10:53 AM   #36
neil_swann80

Quote:
I received the Verse Pro, very nice reader. He will be pleased. We figured if it keeps him reading then it's worth it. He's reading in low light often, so the backlight is good to have. I'm tempted to get one too now, but the Nook Simple Touch still work fine though even after 11 years.

So I had a chance to test your install, but it doesn't appear to work. When you talk about the Library dropdown, I take it you mean the one that lists All Books, Authors, etc, with final entry PockeBook Cloud? I don't get a "Network Libraries" appear in there.

I did check the contents of the created EnableOPDS_p2.pbi and it correctly contains the _scriptInstall, sinstall directory containing the device.cfg. Which correctly has the "have_opds=1" at the top. Installing EnableOPDS_p2.pbi correctly restarts and deletes the pbi files, so not sure why it has not worked.

Is there some other way I need to reboot? I tried holding the power button down for 10 seconds, but it just seems to power it down like normal.
Drat! I wonder why that hasn't worked for you?

Don't try and further reboots, the initial one should have done the trick if it had worked. Pressing and holding for a long time can trigger a factory reset which you don't want. You were looking at the right place for the drop-down menu.

I haven't got an unrooted device to test on, hopefully if there's more feedback we'll get more info.

To get it working quickly the jailbreak does work on the Verse Pro, so you could run that, run my installer, then run the jailbreak again to remove root. (you wouldn't need to run services.app)
If you're worried about warranty, it's anecdotal but my HD3 was repaired under warranty whilst jailbroken.
https://github.com/ezdiy/pbjb/releases/tag/v8

@nhedgehog - was your unrooted device previously rooted at any point?

Last edited by neil_swann80; 03-04-2024 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:30 AM   #37
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Quote:
@nhedgehog - was your unrooted device previously rooted at any point?
No it wasn't, but testing this on another unrooted device with a more recent FW tells me, that neither:

cp /mnt/secure/device.cfg /mnt/ext1

nor

/var/run/device.cfg >> /mnt/ext1/device.cfg

is working! (permission denied)

PS @neil_swann80: Thanks for your contributions to the community, it is really appreciated.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:39 AM   #38
neil_swann80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
No it wasn't, but testing this on another unrooted device with a more recent FW tells me, that neither:

cp /mnt/secure/device.cfg /mnt/ext1

nor

/var/run/device.cfg >> /mnt/ext1/device.cfg

is working! (permission denied)

PS @neil_swann80: Thanks for your contributions to the community, it is really appreciated.
Did you definitely test:

echo /var/run/device.cfg >> /mnt/ext1/device.cfg

EDIT: that would just write the filepath to the new file!
The actual script copies the file from /var/run to the user area, then reads it with the cat command.

So a better test would be: cp /var/run/device.cfg /mnt/ext1/device.cfg

or better still:
Code:
echo have_opds=1 > /mnt/ext1/device.cfg
IFS=''; cat "/var/run/device.cfg" |
while read data; do
	if echo "$data" | grep -q "have_opds"; then :
    else echo "${data}" >> "/mnt/ext1/device.cfg"; fi
done

Last edited by neil_swann80; 03-04-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:43 AM   #39
neil_swann80

electronicfur - you could try the new installer. Uses part of the jailbreak script to just modify the permissions to /mnt/secure. Will avoid doing the full root process.

EDIT: removed as this was not working.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 03-04-2024 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:44 AM   #40
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, you are right, echo was working, my stupid mistake.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:54 AM   #41
nhedgehog
Guru

@neil_swann80: The new script is doing the same like the old script but takes longer.
EnableOPDS_p2.pbi is created by booth variants successfully with the right content.

The problem lies in copying the changed device.cfg back.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:00 PM   #42
electronicfur
Connoisseur

So I ran jailbreak, and then the EnableOPDS_p1.pbi again (not your new one).

And it didn't work. So I ran services, and ssh'd in.

/mnt/secure/device.cfg didn't contain "have_opds=1".

I added the "have_opds=1" to the file. Reboot, and it had been removed. Does the file get generated? I'll try editing the files in the original post next.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:10 PM   #43
neil_swann80

Quote:
So I ran jailbreak, and then the EnableOPDS_p1.pbi again (not your new one).

And it didn't work. So I ran services, and ssh'd in.

/mnt/secure/device.cfg didn't contain "have_opds=1".

I added the "have_opds=1" to the file. Reboot, and it had been removed. Does the file get generated? I'll try editing the files in the original post next.
Interesting. Was there also a /mnt/secure/device.cfg.back?
If so, did that have the "have_opds=1" line? If not, try adding it to both.

Perhaps remove the reboot command from the execAfter script in p2 so we can check if /mnt/ext1/device.cfg contains the change before a reboot (on a rooted device that the installer still fails on)

Last edited by neil_swann80; 03-04-2024 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:35 PM   #44
electronicfur
Connoisseur

Quote:
Interesting. Was there also a /mnt/secure/device.cfg.back?
If so, did that have the "have_opds=1" line? If not, try adding it to both.
It did have the .back file, which was always identical. I added "have_opds=1" to the top of both files, and then after a reboot it was there. But interestingly it had been moved down into alphabetical order, so after "hasStoreOpds=0"

But even though it is now there, it hasn't added the "Network Libraries" to the dropdown...
Old 03-04-2024, 12:40 PM   #45
neil_swann80

Quote:
It did have the .back file, which was always identical. I added "have_opds=1" to the top of both files, and then after a reboot it was there. But interestingly it had been moved down into alphabetical order, so after "hasStoreOpds=0"

But even though it is now there, it hasn't added the "Network Libraries" to the dropdown...
Does /var/run/device.cfg now also have the modified line? Previously changes to /mnt/secure/device.cfg were synced across to /var/run/device.cfg.