Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-01-2024, 07:34 AM   #16
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I think you'd still need root... unless a .pbi installer can write to an unrooted /mnt/secure???

Can someone that's not rooted try the attached installer? Rename without the .zip
e.g. EnableOPDS.pbi
and save to your device. After unplugging the USB (or a reboot) the installer will appear in the device book library. Select it and choose install. Reboot when done, then see if you have "Network Libraries" available in the library drop-down menu.

FYI: Some OPDS catalogs listed in the wiki HERE
(barely half are working though - Project Gutenberg and the Internet Archive work well)
Be careful with that. Those files are device dependent and there are a lot of options in that cfg and those are often individualized by the service. Overwriting it isn't a good idea. And sorry I don't know a way to to get this file from the device without root.

Edit: Just had a look at your installer. I suspect it will not work. Afaik the installer has access to mnt/secure but not the app it is installing.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 03-01-2024 at 07:40 AM.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:40 AM   #17
electronicfur
Connoisseur
electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.electronicfur can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Samsung Note FBReader, Nook Simple Touch FBReader, (Kindle3 died)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
Be careful with that. Those files are device dependent and there are a lot of options in that cfg and those are often individualized by the service. Overwriting it isn't a good idea. And sorry I don't know a way to to get this file from the device without root.
The installer Neil provided just appends to the cfg file, so it shouldn't be an issue should it?

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# enable opds
echo have_opds=1 >> /mnt/secure/device.cfg

# delete this script
rm $0
exit 0
I'll give it a try when my Verse Pro arrives on Tuesday.
electronicfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2024, 07:43 AM   #18
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes you are right, it shouldn't create problems but my test with pbi installers say it will not work. I'll test it soon myself. First post was edited before your reply came through
Old 03-01-2024, 07:47 AM   #19
nhedgehog
Guru

@neil_swann80:
Installer didn't create the results you hoped for. Tested it on an unrooted device.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:49 AM   #20
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Edit: Just had a look at your installer. I suspect it will not work. Afaik the installer has access to mnt/secure but not the app it is installing.
I thought if the installer instance was directly calling the app it may run with the same permission level. Will be interesting to find out.

It works fine on my rooted device, at worst it'll just fail to write to device.cfg on an unrooted.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2024, 07:52 AM   #21
nhedgehog
Guru

What could work though is extracting ezdiy's app out of his root installer, the one that starts his rooting scripts and use this to run the code as root.

Edit: But I'm to lazy to extract it out of that base64 code.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 03-01-2024 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:53 AM   #22
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@neil_swann80:
Installer didn't create the results you hoped for. Tested it on an unrooted device.
Blast. There must be another way to do it...
Old 03-01-2024, 08:03 AM   #23
neil_swann80

Quote:
What could work though is extracting ezdiy's app out of his root installer, the one that starts his rooting scripts and use this to run the code as root.

Edit: But I'm to lazy to extract it out of that base64 code.
Would it be feasible to create a script to copy device.cfg to the user area, make the change, then generate a .pbi containing the new device.cfg to install?

There seems to be some redundancy with device.cfg as when I editing mine with the .pbi I also have a device.cfg.back file.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:07 AM   #24
nhedgehog
Guru

We neither have read nor write access of /mnt/secure without root.
But as strange as it is, we have read access to /ebrmain.
So "borrowing" from the root script is the only way I see it working without permanently rooting it.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:51 AM   #25
nhedgehog
Guru

@neil_swann80: Just got curious and tested your installer on my rooted pb 631. It installed but didn't change device.cfg and since I was curious I tried to cp my changed device.cfg and that didn't work too.
Neither with \cp, cp -f, \cp -f ...
Old 03-01-2024, 09:03 AM   #26
neil_swann80

Quote:
@neil_swann80: Just got curious and tested your installer on my rooted pb 631. It installed but didn't change device.cfg and since I was curious I tried to cp my changed device.cfg and that didn't work too.
Neither with \cp, cp -f, \cp -f ...
Strange, worked correctly on my rooted pb632. Added the line right under the hash.

Did you try getting the pbi to install the changed device.cfg?
Old 03-01-2024, 09:10 AM   #27
nhedgehog
Guru

No, I used your installer as it is which did run through but didn't give the expected result (unchanged device.cfg).
Later I changed the device.cfg manually in PBTerm:
echo have_opds=1 >> /mnt/secure/device.cfg
That worked but my device.cfg had some unexpected code at the end, so it looks now like this:
Quote:
webStoreToolbar=simpletoolbar

#943509fe
have_opds=1
But OPDS is working now.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 03-01-2024 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:16 AM   #28
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
My /mnt/secure/device.cfg also ends with
Code:
webStoreToolbar=simpletoolbar

#5df79580
And in addition I have a device.cfg.back and a device.cfg~ with different content. I don't remember if I have ever edited this file with this or that editor creating backups (e.g. emacs -> ~), but it might simply be that some firmware updaters in the past did the job and left their signature.
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 09:33 PM   #29
neil_swann80

Needs testers - please report back - Enable OPDS without root/jailbreak

*** May only work on older devices and firmware ***
(Latest installer available HERE)

Running EnableOPDS_p1.pbi creates a new installer called EnableOPDS_p2.pbi that contains the (device specific) config file copied from /var/run/device.cfg and has the line "have_opds=1" prepended, which will be unpacked to /mnt/secure.

Basically... run p1, wait for p2 to appear, run p2 and wait for the automatic restart.

Full instructions:
Spoiler:
Upload the attached file to the root directory of your device storage (/mnt/ext1) and rename it without the .zip extension, e.g. EnableOPDS_p1.pbi

After unplugging the USB (or a reboot) open the Library, select "Formats" from the drop-down menu, then select "PBI". Click on EnableOPDS_p1 and choose install.

EnableOPDS_p2 should now appear in the Library, install this and wait for the automatic restart.
(If the installation message says it has completed but there is not an immediate automatic restart, manually reboot.)

Once rebooted, check if "Network Libraries" is now available in the Library drop-down menu.

FYI: Some OPDS catalogs are listed in the wiki HERE
(Click on the links first to test, if you don't see xml they're defunct.)

EDIT: Updated the installer to streamline the installation process.
Will also now add the Project Gutenberg and Internet Archive catalogs so you can immediately test; unless you've saved catalogs to the system previously.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EnableOPDS_p1.pbi.zip (2.9 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by neil_swann80; 03-06-2024 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:13 AM   #30
nhedgehog
Guru

@neil_swann80:
You did it!
Just tested it on an unrooted device as instructed and I have now "Network Libraries" in the library menu.
God job, well done, thanks!