Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-17-2024, 03:45 PM   #1
Gruntbug
Gruntbug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Pocketbook Touch HD 2 (PB631) – using book covers for the sleep image

I just posted this on my blog at https://myvogonpoetry.com/wp/2024/02...e-sleep-image/ but I'm posting it here too in hopes that it finds more people...

I REALLY disliked the ZZZ sleep image on myPocketbook Touch HD 2 (PB631) ereader. On my hacked Kindle, KOReader will show the cover image. I wanted the same thing on the Pocketbook. I googled and searched all over and couldn’t find an answer, but I found clues in a couple places. One was how to replace the boot and startup logos. Another was a tutorial showing how to change the sleep (ZZZ) image to something else (translated to English).

So, here is how to show your book cover instead of the sleep image on a Pocketbook. This should/might work on some other Pocketbook models, but this is the only one I have so no guarantees.

--plug in your Pocketbook via USB and in the root directory, create system/resources/Line (you will create resources and Line)
--in system/resources/Line create an empty file named taskmgr_lock_background.bmp
--safely disconnect your pocketbook
--on your Pocketbook, open KOReader and go to the cog wheel (3rd from left) in the main settings menu. Choose “screen->cover image” then check “save cover image”. Choose “set image path” and choose the location you just created: system/resources/Line/taskmgr_lock_background.bmp. Under “Size, background and format, choose “BMP file format (grayscale) and choose if you want to fit to screen and what background you want. Optionally, change the stretch ratio to threshold. I set mine to 20% so it would fill the screen even if it stretched it.
--now to make this work well, go to the Pocketbook settings-Saving Power and turn on “auto screen lock” and turn off “power off after” so that it will go to sleep but not turn off completely.

One caveat – it appears that the Pocketbook caches in memory the sleep image, so if you change books in KOReader, it will write the cover properly but the Pocketbook won’t use it until you power off and power back on. So, when you start a new book in KOReader, open it, power off, power back on then your cover will be shown. Luckily the Pocketbook restarts pretty quickly and you only have to do it when you start a new book.
Gruntbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 05:47 AM   #2
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
I've posted a more manual solution HERE for non-koreader users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruntbug View Post
I REALLY disliked the ZZZ sleep image on myPocketbook Touch HD 2 (PB631) ereader.
I hear you. Always hated it myself!

Last edited by neil_swann80; 03-05-2024 at 03:04 PM.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2024, 09:59 AM   #3
jrw174
Connoisseur
jrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the rough

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I've posted a more streamlined solution HERE

I hear you. Always hated it myself!
Hey nice work! I was using a work around with setting my current read book via koreader as the screen. This works automatically but a dedicated app is a great idea!
jrw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:33 AM   #4
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw174 View Post
Hey nice work! I was using a work around with setting my current read book via koreader as the screen. This works automatically but a dedicated app is a great idea!
After playing with the koreader option... it's definitely convenient, set and forget.

Non-koreader users have a backup option at least.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 03-05-2024 at 06:39 AM.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
631, pb631, pocketbook