Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-09-2023, 11:11 AM   #16
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think PocketBook has done a pretty good job with their "Linux tinkering."
Once Upon a time
Quote:
And if they're really restricted to Android 4.4 with their chosen CPU, isn't that going to be restrictive?
Why would they go to Android 4.4 when the outdated CPU they are using is non-existent or almost non-existent?
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 03:35 PM   #17
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
They are EInk devices with a well-functioning operating system.
Not this Linux tinkering that doesn't fit properly with the application
Linux is just the kernel, the same kernel that powers android. It all comes down to the additional software & libraries etc. Personally I find the lack of Android a net win for an e-reader because it means you have no real advertising framework.

An android (with google framework & app store and shit) is a net loss in freedoms & privacy.
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2023, 03:52 PM   #18
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Quote:
I think PocketBook has done a pretty good job with their "Linux tinkering." And if they're really restricted to Android 4.4 with their chosen CPU, isn't that going to be restrictive?
They only have 1GB of ram, you wouldn't be able to run recent android versions on that footprint. The kernel could probably be updated but they would not get any support of the manufacturer for that. Don't forget that the linux kernel is the same for android (android sits on top of the linux kernel).

It all comes down to priorities and development work, if all you want is a reader there would be little advantage to build an android rom. If you want an app ecosystem you're better of with an Android based system as it's a well known system; however, as far as I know not all functionality for e-ink and wacom/stylus support is built into Android itself, it's not a magic bullet and if you want to offer access to the play store there are certain requirements google will impose on you too. As far as I know Pocketbook is in Europe which would make it rather easy for Google to go after them if they include the play store.

You could release an android based system without the play store, but at this point you might as well stick with your homebrew solution.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:01 PM   #19
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
Linux is just the kernel, the same kernel that powers android.
No - there are different versions, which have to be adapted to the existing hardware
Quote:
It all comes down to the additional software & libraries etc. Personally I find the lack of Android a net win for an e-reader because it means you have no real advertising framework.
The result is the crap that the developer envisioned as good handling, but which in my experience never really fits
Quote:
An android (with google framework & app store and shit) is a net loss in freedoms & privacy.
loss of freedom & privacy?
On Android you can choose the application you want and are happy with.
For me, that is freedom - not the compulsion of a single application that can hardly be adjusted to one's own needs.
So far, no Linux reader manufacturer has managed to create a properly functioning library management in its devices.
Well, you don't need them for 2 books either

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-09-2023 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:23 PM   #20
Amon_Re
Zealot

Quote:
No - there are different versions, which have to be adapted to the existing hardware
Allwinner provides the Linux kernel for their SOC, that kernel is used amongst others for android. That kernel can be downloaded on git.

Quote:
The result is the crap that the developer envisioned as good handling, but which in my experience never really fits
I have no complaints for their UI and tools, they are pretty much intuitive and work. Can they be improved? Sure, but so can anything else.

Quote:
loss of freedom & privacy?
On Android you can choose the application you want and are happy with.
For me, that is freedom - not the compulsion of a single application that can hardly be adjusted to one's own needs.
You can do that on Pocketbook today, you can install eg koreader and set that as default for any or all formats. There are quite a few projects on git for pocketbooks and all of those are made possible precisely because of the linux underpinnings of the device's operating system and as I said, having android in itself is no guarantee you'll get an Open system, you would need a store and google imposes restrictions and rules on which devices they allow to come bundled with it. There ARE alternative stores, but they all have their trade-offs.

As for standards for e-ink devices in Android... this might provide some more background.

Last edited by Amon_Re; 05-09-2023 at 04:25 PM.
Advert
Old 05-09-2023, 05:01 PM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard

Allwinner? "10 years ago".
There are decidedly more effective SOCs for EInk devices - but these are correspondingly more expensive.
KOreader?
I find it useless; it can do far too little and is massively overrated and the book management is not usable in my opinion.

And if I want more information than the simple plot of my books, then I need a functioning offline information system such as Kiwix or AARD2 - the manufacturers do without something like that because their simple customers don't think of it anyway.
Apart from that, it takes up a lot of space (Kiwix Wiki... need about 80 GB)

And if you want to compare texts, then a split screen is ideal.

Linux readers may be usable for simple users, but they are not usable for more.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-09-2023 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 05:53 PM   #22
Amon_Re
Zealot

Allwinner is what they used up to today, until we know more about this upcoming device anything and everything is nothing more than speculation.

Koreader is just an example, there are other readers available and you could always write one too if you were so inclined.

As for kiwix or AARD2, the storage requirements pretty much alone renders a whole lot of devices unusable regardless of OS.

I think for your needs some BOOX devices have the biggest chance of meeting them, but your requirements are definitely very niche. Based on the information available I'd say the target audience is the same as the Kobo Elipsa or the Kindle Scribe, reading/note taking/annotation.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:06 PM   #23
ottischwenk
Wizard

I don't feel like writing a reading application for Linux myself - there are excellent ones for Android.
But the memory requirements for Kiwix or AARD2 are only available for Android devices - eg Likebook P6 for ~$120
Quote:
Allwinner is what they used up to today, until we know more about this upcoming device anything and everything is nothing more than speculation.
Kobo, Pocketbook, Tolino; but not Boyue Likebook Meebook, Boox.
And even the Allwinner B300 from Kobo/Tolino is not particularly energy-efficient - so it doesn't make sense either.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 05-09-2023 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:21 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Once Upon a time
"Once upon a time" is now.

Quote:
Why would they go to Android 4.4 when the outdated CPU they are using is non-existent or almost non-existent?
I don't know. I'm just going by what was said in this thread, that the Linux kernel couldn't be updated because of a CPU that only supports Linux 3.10 or Android 4.4. If that's not the case, then (again) the question arises, why not update the Linux kernel?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 07:22 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Linux is just the kernel, the same kernel that powers android. It all comes down to the additional software & libraries etc. Personally I find the lack of Android a net win for an e-reader because it means you have no real advertising framework.

Yep, that's a big part of why I don't want Android. I don't like Google.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:25 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
...You could release an android based system without the play store, but at this point you might as well stick with your homebrew solution.
One of my main concerns is battery life. Battery life is very good on the firmware PocketBook is currently using (at least it is on my PocketBooks). I don't want to see that monkeyed with.

I just want a reader. I don't want something that will run Android apps.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:49 PM   #27
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
"Once upon a time" is now.
For outdated technology!
Even the latest Pokebook development uses obsolete (2 year old) screen technology
Quote:
I don't know. I'm just going by what was said in this thread, that the Linux kernel couldn't be updated because of a CPU that only supports Linux 3.10 or Android 4.4. If that's not the case, then (again) the question arises, why not update the Linux kernel?
Because that means a lot of development work, for which it is not even certain whether the component manufacturer has the right drivers for it.
For Android there are such.
Old 05-10-2023, 12:01 AM   #28
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
One of my main concerns is battery life. Battery life is very good on the firmware PocketBook is currently using (at least it is on my PocketBooks). I don't want to see that monkeyed with.
For me it is sufficiently safe to get to the next socket option.
Quote:
I just want a reader. I don't want something that will run Android apps.
I also want a reader, but one that does what and how it suits me; and not one that can only display text and images and whose interface I have to adapt to.
And something like this is only possible on Android
Old 05-10-2023, 01:40 AM   #29
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
If this has page turn buttons, reasonably fast hardware and 300 PPI I'll instantly buy it.

As for Android vs Linux for e-readers there's no contest for me: Android wins hands down.

The one point where Android just wipes the floor with Pocketbook/Kobo/Kindle is reading in foreign languages. The dictionary support is woeful on "pure ereaders". They don't support inflection, so forget about having a useful Russian or Spanish dictionary. Few languages are supported.

On an Android reader I can just install Goldendict, a stardict file for the language I want and a hunspell dictionary for morphology support and off I go. Perfect language learning device.

Would I prefer this to be implemented in Kobos own ecosystem or directly in Koreader? Yes. Is that ever going to happen? No.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:26 AM   #30
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
If this has page turn buttons,
It looks like this