Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
sony prs-350 pre-loaded books ???

I just received the new unit , from Waterstones, (UK) which will be a birthday gift for my son & am charging it via USB prior to repacking.

I added some books from my Calibre library & had a quick peek at it's drive via windows but I did not see any preloaded books anywhere ?

It's advertised as having 100 of these. so where they stored ? -are they in the firmware or within the reader software which has to be installed, or what ?

PS - older threads say that Waterstones provided the books on CD with the PRS-300 but there is definitely no CD in today's package -

so - false advertising by Waterstones for this model ?

Last edited by cybmole; 09-21-2010 at 08:10 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Where have you seen that advertising? I remember they did have a CD last year but haven't seen anything like that this time. The devices do have a couple of preloaded samples but definitely not 100 full books.

Since those books were just public domain books available everywhere, I suggest you to just download some from here, Feedbooks, Manybooks or PG. If your son likes SF, make sure to get some from Baen Free Library or Baen CDs.
Download either EPUB of LRF (BBeB) formats.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Where have you seen that advertising?.
here:
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...x=0&Image1.y=0

it's in all the right hand column entries e.g.

"The Sony Reader is in stock at Waterstone's Aberdeen, Union Bridge now! It can hold up to 160 ebooks and comes pre-loaded with 100 classic books"

The Reader from Sony is in stock at Waterstone's Cameron Toll now! It can hold up to 160 ebooks and comes pre-loaded with 100 classic books and has....

The Reader from Sony is in stock at Waterstone's Ocean Terminal now! It can hold up to 160 ebooks and comes pre-loaded with 100 classic books and has ...

you get the idea - so, i've emailed the above evidence to Waterstones, with my order number, and asked them to supply the 100 books that I was allegedy sold - will report back with their reply, if I get one.

Last edited by cybmole; 09-21-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I think it's just the old text they had for PRS-300/600, especially considering "160 ebooks" and "6800 page turns". If you go to the specific reader's page, the numbers are different. Sounds like the IT department botched the update. The date is funny too
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The new readers can hold much more than 160 books in the internal memory. Looks like the language is a hold-over from the previous model PRS-300.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Joshseadog
Enthusiast
Joshseadog doesn't litterJoshseadog doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-650
Perhaps Waterstones are using an add on from Sony UK web site whereby they state if you register your device with Sony you can claim 100 free classics. I tried registering on this the other day. However Sony web site will not allow registration as yet and suggestes try later. Anyhow from what I can see of it you could just as easily download the free classics you want from Gutenberg.
Joshseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

well they use the word "pre-loaded" - that surely means already on the device, not something you have to go fetch or something that's on a separate CD.

I reckon that's a blatant case of false advertising - I genuinely believed that I was getting 100 free books, though I did expect them to be old books which are available for free elsewhere. Is I've bought this as a gift, I thought that having 100 pre-loaded books would allow immediate use of the e-reader.

& I reckon that that advertising text has been there for several days already.

Last edited by cybmole; 09-21-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Zootoo
Zootoo began at the beginning.

Device: SonyPRS-300/SonyPRS-350 & 650, T1/KindlePaperWh1&2, ipad air, iPhone5
I too have just received the Sony PRS-350 & PRS-650 with only 3 books on the units. You have to register your unit on Sony website then you'll be able to download 100 classic free books!
Here's the link - http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/reader-want/6/4
I had to do this if I wanted the books with the earlier model PRS-300.
Zootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And why is it always "a blatant case of false advertising..." I see this and think, whoops, someone's using the old adverts, not updated or just plain made a mistake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
well they use the word "pre-loaded" - that surely means already on the device, not something you have to go fetch or something that's on a separate CD.

I reckon that's a blatant case of false advertising - I genuinely believed that I was getting 100 free books, though I did expect them to be old books which are available for free elsewhere. Is I've bought this as a gift, I thought that having 100 pre-loaded books would allow immediate use of the e-reader.

& I reckon that that advertising text has been there for several days already.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
And why is it always "a blatant case of false advertising..." I see this and think, whoops, someone's using the old adverts, not updated or just plain made a mistake...
Maybe a bit misleading, but I don't see 100 free books as being a deciding factor for anyone who's been online longer than a day. Of course, I don't see why people consider access to Google books to be such a good deal either, given the formatting and OCR issues those have.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Zootoo
Zootoo began at the beginning.

Device: SonyPRS-300/SonyPRS-350 & 650, T1/KindlePaperWh1&2, ipad air, iPhone5
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Maybe a bit misleading, but I don't see 100 free books as being a deciding factor for anyone who's been online longer than a day. Of course, I don't see why people consider access to Google books to be such a good deal either, given the formatting and OCR issues those have.
I tend to agree with you, I like mostly current fiction. But I am partial to a bit of the classics too lol
Zootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
a mistake that's never been rectified., even though they've been selling the old readers for over a year ???

afaik, after much googling, no sony reader has ever shipped with 100 preloaded books. so yes it is blatantly misleading.

Please consult your handy ereader dictionary for the meaning of "preloaded". it does NOT mean "on a separate CD", or "register somwehrere & download". It means on the device, when unpacked. e.g. if I buy a PC advertised as shipping with windows preloaded & don't expect to then be told to download install it myself

and in answer to another comment. I think this IS an important factor when GIFT shopping. Its nice to give a gift that's ready to use straight out of the box. If I was shopping for myself than yes. it's a non issue, I'd probably delete them all anyway on receipt,and load it with my own preferences.

waterstones have yet to respond, apart from the stardard bot repsonse of "we love you dearly & will get back to you soonest"
Old 09-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
They most likely meant 100 books for download from Google Books. It's just their ignorance of the device, not an attempt to defraud anyone. Don't know that it's necessary to make a federal case out of it.

And besides, wouldn't you prefer the option of choosing which books you download, versus having them picked for you? So this should be the better outcome. And the process of getting those books would serve to teach the end user how to use Sony's Reader software and the reader itself.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:36 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

waterstones (feeble) response:

"Thank you for your recent email.

I can confirm for you that the 100 free ebooks that are available should come provided on an installation disk from Sony. If the free ebooks have not been provided then I would advise that you contact Sony and they will provide them for you."
Old 09-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #15
cybmole
Wizard

PC -pro have reviewed the PRS-650 & say this:

"To this end, each registered Reader comes with 100 free classic titles"

maybe they appear somehow during the registration process ???

Read more: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-650 review | Ebook Readers | Reviews | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/ebook-readers/361420/sony-reader-touch-edition-prs-650/2#ixzz10cMtpJ7G"