Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #16
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
When I got my first 'real' computer, (not the Commodore 64,) sometime around 1983,84... I began downloading books from Project Gutenberg. I was storing them on diskettes. Only thing I knew of for storage back then. I had a huge collection that I eventually moved onto CD's, then moved to external hard drives.

I haven't stopped downloading. Just kept getting larger external drives. I now keep my collection on 1.5 terrabyte drives. And keep on downloading. I can't find any reason not to!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #17
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
You have to fill those 2 GB's of memory with books else the sky will fall in - obvious really
rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #18
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I found it helpful to start a "to be read" list. When I buy or get a free book, I look at my list and place it in a spot. You start to realize you aren't going to get to most books any time soon. If a book isn't going to make your list in a spot you will read in the next year or two, perhaps it's not worth downloading.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #19
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiniree View Post
I just got my first e-reader (the Nook) on Tuesday and am having a ball enjoying it.

But I have to ask: Am I the only one to go "overboard" downloading free e-books when you first get your e-reader??? My family is cracking up saying I will never read all these books, but to tell the truth......I love knowing I will always have another option with me if the current book I am reading gets boring.

Marie
Don't worry, everyone does it... then you start to add up the hours need to read them all and suddenly you calculate the number of hours until you die...it becomes sad and depressing really...enough to make a person give up reading completely or maybe watch The World According to Garp.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
No, I overloaded on books and had them waiting for me in Calibre as soon as I ordered mine!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #21
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Get started with a good book management program (calibre on mobileread. is tops and free, although well worth donating to) before you get too many.
Makes organisation a snap.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #22
bar49
bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.bar49 is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle 2, PW2
[QUOTE=eric11210;1090739]My personal feeling is, if it sounds like something you may someday find interesting, even if it's not a genre you'd usually read, why not? Unlike physical books, free ebooks don't cost you a penny and they don't take up space.

Totally agree.

Besides, the searching, the finding, the downloading, the editing (using Calibre for example) can all be entertaining activities as well.
bar49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #23
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I started getting a bunch of free books... even read some of them, unfortunately. I found many of them, not all mind you, were worth what I paid.

BOb
Yeah. . .

But! I downloaded a Tor freebie in April 2009 and just got around to reading it in May 2010 and I LOVED it. Kicking myself for not reading it earlier, and I've since bought all the books in the series and all the books in related series! Tor is making a mint off me because of that free book... Every once in a while, there's a gem of a freebie

Though I would suggest only downloading things that actually sound interesting to you. I went through an "omg, free books!!!!" stage when I first got my ereader too, then promptly realized 75% of them didn't even appeal to me.

Last edited by queentess; 09-03-2010 at 12:17 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Yeah. . .

But! I downloaded a Tor freebie in April 2009 and just got around to reading it in May 2010 and I LOVED it. Kicking myself for not reading it earlier, and I've since bought all the books in the series and all the books in related series! Tor is making a mint off me because of that free book... Every once in a while, there's a gem of a freebie
Yes, several of the TOR books where good. I liked Spin and Mistborn quite a bit. Four and Twenty Black Birds I think was the best of the free TOR lot.

Of course, there are thousands of classics which are also free. I have enjoyed many if not all that I have read, including the Sherlock Holmes books, The Count of Monte Cristo and many others.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #25
LynnO
LynnO is on a distinguished road

Device: nook, color nook, droid 2
I can totally relate to loading up with free books. I'm getting a tiny bit more picky, but pick up almost all the free B&N classics. Have read 2. But someday......

Can you still get those Tor books? Not much of science fiction reader, but loved the two stories I downloaded for free.

As for romantic fiction, just look at it as another type of science fiction, along with almost all mysteries and thrillers. I'm a total omnivore and laugh that people who read genre fiction of any type dis romances. Meh, none of the other genres are any more real, and all genres have both well written and poorly written selections.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #26
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I spent most of my life at least an hour's drive from the nearest bookstore. I "ran out" of new books on a regular basis. The local library system couldn't keep up with me, either. That's when my habit of "re-reading" favorites got started. Now that I can, I indulge myself by collecting everything I might possibly read. The idea of having anything I could want to read just a few clicks away is profoundly satisfying to me.
Oddly enough though, I still re-read. It's nearly time for my annual reading of "Be Buried in the Rain" by Barbara Michaels
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #27
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, several of the TOR books where good. I liked Spin and Mistborn quite a bit. Four and Twenty Black Birds I think was the best of the free TOR lot.

Of course, there are thousands of classics which are also free. I have enjoyed many if not all that I have read, including the Sherlock Holmes books, The Count of Monte Cristo and many others.

BOb
I have Four and Twenty Black Birds - haven't read it yet. I take it you recommend it, Bob?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I have Four and Twenty Black Birds - haven't read it yet. I take it you recommend it, Bob?
I really liked it... I read it after Dixie Gal gave it her high praises. So, yes, recommended.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #29
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I did the same thing tiniree. If you're like me, you'll read a few of them, then realize it takes a lot more effort to read classics than modern stuff, due to the higher vocabulary level and old style phrasing. I usually have one classic going and take a break for modern fiction. I started Don Quixote a couple months ago. Read about 1/2 of it and really needed a break. I'll get back and finish it some day.

The most satisfying classics to me have been Sherlock Holmes and Dickens.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #30
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Welcome to the club Marie!

Hi! My name is rebarnmom and I've been addicted to ebooks for about two years now. My last download of free ebooks was yesterday- five from the Sony Reader Store and 1 from CBD. When will I read them? One never knows, but they're there for me when I'm ready for them!

Last edited by rebarnmom; 09-03-2010 at 05:39 PM.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote