Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Can anyone confirm these PDF issues on the Readers?

I was working on some PDF versions of a book (large print, about 4000 "pages" when formatted), and I encountered some issues. Can anyone else confirm if these are Reader--PDF issues, or something to do with the PDF file creation method?

- All pages in a PDF past page 1000 are blank on the Sony Reader, although fine in Adobe.

- After I chopped the book up into 800-page sections, I found that page update times are extremely slow for the last pages, but almost reasonable for the first pages, This may be due to some requirement for scanning the whole document to find the page start.

The document contains text, with 2 embedded fonts. I wanted to use PDFs rather than RTF in order to use a more legible font and get hyphenation form Word (which really improves readability with larger fonts).

Does output from PDFRastaFarian suffer from these issues too, or just text?
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

The best way to check is by using the CONNECT software's preview mode. i had a few books in pdf that reads fine in acrobat, but they both show up as lines and circles on the reader and in CONNECT. Now I convert all my books using PDFRasterFarian,

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&page=1&pp=15,
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstampe
After I chopped the book up into 800-page sections, I found that page update times are extremely slow for the last pages, but almost reasonable for the first pages, This may be due to some requirement for scanning the whole document to find the page start.
I've noticed this issue as well and I suspect it depends on the software you used to convert your content into PDF, and also on the complexity of your content. With some PDF files this problem is not as bad as with others.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:34 AM   #4
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The core question is: Haas anyone tried a PDF with >1000 pages and noticed an issue with blank pages, or is this due to multiple embedded font or the PDF creation software used?

Has anyone tried PDFRastaFarian on >1000-page documents to see what happens?

I'm talking rather simple books here, only about 200 words per page, no pictures, mostly one embedded font plus occasional use of a second embedded font.

The embedded fonts are important for readibility--I can use RTF files in the usual way but the specific fonts I used in the PDF make a huge idfference in readability.. Now I've heard there's a tool chain that will embed fonts in an LRF file, but I would need to find a tool chain under Windows for converting RTF through to LRF, including formatting, font embedding and hopefully hypenation support.
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote